Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to eat in the Big Easy (New Orleans)

Headed down to NOLA for a three-day birthday weekend. The goal is to eat and drink ourselves stupid, though I'm meeting up with my parents there so it will be the wine with dinner/classy cocktails kind of stupid and not the hurricanes on Bourbon Street kind of stupid. Staying in the French Quarter at the French Market Inn (anyone been? Looked cool on the interwebs), and we won't have a car so it'll be walking and cabs. We arrive Friday at 1:30pm and fly out Sunday at 6:30pm.

Where would you eat and drink? What else would you do? Considering some walking or streetcar tours to fill the time between meals. The only things we've booked are dinner at Cochon on Saturday, and tix to the Dave Douglas Quintet at Snug Harbor after Cochon.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I hate you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Emeril's NOLA restaurant. Try to get a reservation right this moment, it's probably already too late.

Failng that, any of his restaurants. I know, the guy's a "celebrity chef douchebag," and nobody can stand watching him on the tube. Doesn't matter, he knows how to run a restaurant, his chefs are awesome, his waitstaff are awesome.

K-Paul's remains an extraordinary meal, even after all these years. Again, reservations are nearly impossible, but give it a shot.

Herbsaint has been recommended bo me by chefs as some of the best food in the country.

There's nothing wrong with some of the classics: Court of the Two Sisters is overpriced, but a fun place for brunch; Everyone shoujld do Acme Oyster House at least once; Praline Connection is a casual but awesome place for comfort food and very close to Snug Harbor.

I've always thought Commander's Palace was a bit overrated, but that's just my opinion, and if somebody said "let's go right now, I'd go."

Avoid Galatoire's no matter what.

Casual, Willie Mae's for fried chicken and The Joint for BBQ or St. James Cheese Company for deli stuff and great cheeses.
    Upscale, can't go wrong with either Commander's Palace or Gautreau's
    Breakfast, beignets at Cafe du Monde, bloody marys and anything else at Mena's Palace.
    I usually try to get over there at least once a month since its the only decent city down here and usually end up five pounds heavier coming back home.

Antoine's is an old school classic. Love the Napoleon House for a cocktail and apps. August is another one for a memorable meal. Grab a bowl of gumbo in the courtyard at the Gumbo Shop. Breakfast at Mothers. Mr B's kills it. Bayona is stupid good. Maesperos is another classic spot with great traditional grub. Love pizzas at Angeli late night. Had my wedding rehearsal dinner at Cafe Giovanni so it has a special place in my heart too.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 09-29-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Snug Harbor is an awesome jazz room, that'll be fun. Last trip i did lunch at Commander's Palace, the $.25 martinis [limit 3] were the real deal, food was great, service was spot-on. Others think it's jumped the shark, but it impressed me. There's always the cheap-o streetcar tour, just jump on the Charles St line and ride it out a ways. Oak Street is about 15 minutes down the line, and has some fun clubs for mid-day drinking. When I was there last spring Nikki Glaspie and pals were jamming- I walked in as they started Sabbath's War Pigs and it was fkna awesome.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Do me a favor and have a couple of drinks at Deja Vu in the 200 block of Bourbon. They're largely responsible for funding my parents' retirement...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Ditto on Napolean House and Arnauld's. There are a lot of good music venues and restaurants in the Marigny District just outside the Quarter. Adolfo's is one that comes to mind.

Ghost tour was cool. http://www.lordchaz.com/

Preservation Hall is touristy but still great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    ...Grab a bowl of gumbo in the courtyard at the Gumbo Shop...
    I was gonna post this, but not just for the Gumbo - their red beans & rice are awesome as are the other staples, like Jambalaya or Crawfish Etouffee. Fantastic place for brunch/lunch in the FQ.

http://www.gumboshop.com/

Where to eat in the Big Easy (New Orleans)

Another vote each for mothers, acme and mr b. Best city for food in the world.

And preservation hall is touristy but on a good night is awe inspiring

+ 1 on Emeril's NOLA. Your parents will like it too.

+ 1 on Commanders Palace. Classic NOLA.

Court of the Two Sisters for Sunday Brunch, another classic.

Just found the Royal House last time. http://www.royalhouserestaurant.com
    Try the Redfish beignets. Yep, redfish beignets, awesome.
    Me, I want to live with my feet in Dixie
    and my head in the cool blue North
    - Jimmy Buffet (Nothin' but a breeze)

If you just want a burger, go to Yo Mama's. It's on St. Peter, about half a block south of Bourbon, across from Pat O'Brien's. Their signature burger is topped with peanut butter and bacon. I can't vouch for that, but their regular cheeseburger is outstanding. I was there about a month ago. There is no bad food in town. Manning's Sports Bar in the warehouse district is decent, too.

Check out Victory

http://victorynola.com

Complimentary drink of the day and truffle pop-corn, good tunes and comfy seats, and cocktails that will blow your mind, take one for the road as well...

Dinner - Jacques-Imo's. Get there early as the wait can be very long (no reservations unless you have a large party).

For oysters Pascal's Manale is one of the best (better than Acme imo). If you stay for dinner, get the bbq shimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Snug Harbor is an awesome jazz room
    Seconded. Frankly, any little place on Frenchmen St has great music. The Besh restaurants are also pretty solid. Had brunch at Luke and it didnt suck one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Dinner - Jacques-Imo's. Get there early as the wait can be very long (no reservations unless you have a large party).
    heard great things about that place
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ Cornbread muffins that will make you sad the first time you have them because you'll realize you have witnessed cornbread at its zenith and that all other cornbread that you taste from that point in you life on will feel somewhat unfortunate and inferior by comparison.

Anybody know if they still have that table in the bed of pickup truck out front?

^^ Muffins better than Hush Puppies?
    Unpossible.
    Hush Puppies are the summit of corn bread mountain.

From my sister who lives in Baton Rouge and used to live in NO...

"My favorite high end restaurant is Bayona. Delicious and not insanely high prices. The chargrilled oysters at Dragos are a fun traditional treat (or at Acme oyster house). How many days are they there? Mothers is great for po-boys or breakfast. Juan's flying burrito has killer burritos for a change of pace from creole cuisine."
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thanks all! Only there for a couple of days, so I'm probably not straying much from the cajun/creole cuisine - gotta get it in while it lasts. So far places on my list are:

Cochon
    Acme
    Mother's
    Willie Mae's
    Coop's Place
    Gumbo Shop
    Mr. B's
    Jacques Imo's
    Carousel Bar
    Sazerac Bar

Keep 'em coming!

did I mention that I hate you? Because I hate you.

Cochon and Snug Harbor are both amazing. Cochon's fried pig ears were out of this world.

Also, little fancier: Stella. Not sure if it's still there but had a fancy date night there in 2010 and it was great.

Revised question: where would you go for a not-expensive but still awesome dinner in the FQ on Friday night? Since we've got Cochon on Saturday, I'm thinking we'll hit up somewhere a little more down-home on Friday.

Gumbo Shop and Masperos are great spots for traditional NOLA grub at reasonable rates.