Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    my dad or i had a can or two of it from early 70s on as far as i can remember. it was always kind of exciting to get the boots all gooey when i was a kid.

Hubbard's is better than Sno-Seal for boots, it's less sticky than Obenauf's too. Works well on leather gloves. My dad, grandpa and uncles used it on their "corks".

^^^Huberd's in the can is absolutely the best for smooth all-leather boots. It's the only thing I'll use on my Whites.

But for leather gloves, Nikwax:

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^^^Huberd's in the can is absolutely the best for smooth all-leather boots. It's the only thing I'll use on my Whites.

But for leather gloves, Nikwax:
    why do you like those better than Snoseal? If you bake in the snoseal, there is no goeyness or stickiness. I know the nikiwax is double+ the price, so what makes that stuff better? Same with the hubbards? Or is it mainly a preference based on loyalty?

Huberd's on my work boots gives the best combination of suppleness (on hard-used, dried-out boots) and waterproofness.

Nikwax for gloves has kind of a hard finish when it dries that I like - better waterproofness, better grip. I don't hate SnowSeal, I just like Nikwax better.

Free the Powder Gloves?

I wore my short cuffs yesterday in 10-15 degrees. These don't have the removable liners. It was a pow day and my hands were warm the entire time. No need for my wool liners but I was working hard.

Oh and I prefer mink oil on my gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    why do you like those better than Snoseal? If you bake in the snoseal, there is no goeyness or stickiness. I know the nikiwax is double+ the price, so what makes that stuff better? Same with the hubbards? Or is it mainly a preference based on loyalty?
    Huberd's spreads more easily than sno seal. It's not tacky, no need for "baking" with gloves and you can use less in my experience. I might try the Nikwax for gloves but I like having one leather treatment.

I like Huberd's. The free NikWax that came with my Kincos seems good. I've also used a couple of other random beeswax concoctions over the years that I like.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Huberds (made in McMinneville OR) works better if you don't care about discoloration - pine tar FTW. Snowseal dries clear but makes gloves pretty stiff

The FTP bike gloves look great for MTB and the full finger would make a great spring glove, need to order soon.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yea, good call, but I don't have that model yet and I'll be biking soon enough and need new gloves.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

i have last year's model from the bbi16 raffle. i wish they had the liner because i sweat and and my hands get cold super fast when i have to take the gloves off. i always wear some kind of liner. i will have to find that thread, too. i intentionally avoided dwelling on snow this season and now spring and a better knee have snuck up on me and i'm not ready.

Has anyone tried putting FTP replacement liners into BD Guide glove shells?

My guide gloves are barely broken in, but the liners are shot. I'd rather not buy a whole new pair of gloves, due to price and also to my preference not to throw away gloves that are otherwise in good shape.

I note that FTP suggests that their replacement liners fit in other company's shells, but was curious whether anyone has experience with this.

Thanks!

I'll answer my own question, in case anyone else is curious...

FTP liners do indeed seem to work pretty well in BD Guide gloves. I have some medium long-cuff FTP liners to fit in my medium Guide gloves, and I think they'll work pretty well (won't likely test on snow 'til next fall though). The velcro system on the BD gloves of course doesn't work, but it seems like no big deal. The fit/feel/etc seems good. The liners stay in place reasonably well when taking gloves on/off. And I assume it'll get better as I wear them. So unless something major pops up, I just got another major chunk of life out of my Guide gloves for the very fair price of $20. Thanks FTP!

And as has been abundantly stated, FTP customer service is fantastic. Long story short, I inadvertently made myself kind of a high-maintenance customer and they were very helpful, above and beyond what's typical or what can be reasonably expected. And their mtn bike gloves seem pretty sweet too, particularly for the price.

Related: it's worth noting that FTP sizing changed sometime in the last several years (maybe standard knowledge and I missed it...). I was once a Large in FTP, but have learned that I'm now a medium. (I wear size 9 in hestras).

I'd have to give two thumbs up for FTP's mountain bike gloves. I got larges, and they're true to size. Nice stretchy mesh top. Full leather palm. No hot spots or chafing.
    Dexterous as fuck too.

And they're on sale right now. Only 20$ for a leather palm glove!

I just ordered the MTB gloves. I'm a XL in the SX winter glove and dropped a note to FTP to request the proper sizing. I'll report back.

Love my mtn bike gloves. They've held up longer than other brands gloves I've had. Use them biking and dirt biking so they get a good workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Rico in Flag View Post
    I'd have to give two thumbs up for FTP's mountain bike gloves. I got larges, and they're true to size. Nice stretchy mesh top. Full leather palm. No hot spots or chafing.
    Dexterous as fuck too.

And they're on sale right now. Only 20$ for a leather palm glove!
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Love my mtn bike gloves. They've held up longer than other brands gloves I've had. Use them biking and dirt biking so they get a good workout.
    Thirded. Ordering back-ups now, and a pair for the wife. Love the gloves - WAY better built than the Fox gloves I had previously. Used em for summer skiing on the East Side too to great effect.

My only complaint: doesn't work on my iphone. Boo hoo.

I am really liking the MTB gloves as well. I went with the padded version for commuting and my rigid ss. First padded gloves I have owned that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    My only complaint: doesn't work on my iphone. Boo hoo.
    I've used a pair of the fingerless, everyday for a month and they're holding up well.

Okay -- want to order some MTB gloves to replace my crumbling ones. But would like to grab a pair of factory seconds gloves to replace the kinco I drunkenly dropped in the raging campfire...please come back in stock.

Pro tip: Home Depot work gloves make great full finger mountain bike gloves, cost less, last longer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I realized I didn't report back.

Ordered XL full finger mtb gloves with padding. They are a little large but it's not a big deal. Ridden. With the about 10 times. They have gotten muddy and wet and are holding up well. $20 is a steal. Get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Pro tip: Home Depot work gloves make great full finger mountain bike gloves, cost less, last longer.
    This. Their Husky brand carries a lifetime warranty as well.

Just got a pair of SX Gloves these things are built to last. Measuring my hand I was in between M and L. Medium fits grate but I have short fingers. Those liners are plush and fit my hestra heli gloves, which have never been warm enough perfectly. All their gloves are on sale right now. Best sixty dollars i've spent on ski gear.