Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I did not see a tag indicating where they were made.
    cat, Mine were clearly labeled on the cellophane wrapper. "Made in Pakistan"

Thanks for deal, waiting for the mitt. Den

And there you have it. Thanks dewam!

As cat said, not surprising, nor a deal breaker. I don't know of any brand that does make ski gloves in the US.

@freethepowder (or any folks who have received their short cuff)
    there's a note at the bottom of the short cuff page re: sizing being smaller than the gauntlet style
    is this comment true for the mag sale items only (irregular)? or is it true for the short cuff style in general?

awesome deal on the gauntlet & now intrigued by the short cuff too...thx!

Quick shipping, looks well made, great to deal with. Thanks FTP

When I got mine I tried to find where they are made. By law anything made outside of the US must indicate that, but sometimes it is hard to find the tag. I did not see a tag indicating where they were made. If they are made in the US, then I would think it is a real nice selling point. If they are made outside the US I am not calling them out. Expecting that to be the case as almost every piece of clothing like this is made overseas.
    Says right on them where they are made-not made in the USA but anybody thinking a $59 glove is made our sourced here in the usa is sadly misguided.

I got some. Didn't need a $39 boater glove. Process was smooth customer service was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Says right on them where they are made-not made in the USA but anybody thinking a $59 glove is made our sourced here in the usa is sadly misguided.

I got some. Didn't need a $39 boater glove. Process was smooth customer service was great.
    Are you hiring yet? I've attached my resume for your consideration.

took out the undercuffs today in 12 deg, no sun, no wind, snowing. hands were warm, I usually use mittens on days like today. Only once I had to turtle my fingers into the palms to warm...other than that some minor things bugging me 1) too much fluff in cuff 2) not easy to open velcro with gloves on 3) wanted the patch down on back of hand to break up a big blank piece of black fabric
    4) going to bar tack the piece of webbing I added but need to go to shop and its been snowing so no going to shop 5) then maybe bake em in snow seal 6) damn, wish I had got the $40 deal

Mods
    to start

cutting

plucking a chicken, then sewing it closed

finished product, will bar tack soon

When I got mine I tried to find where they are made. By law anything made outside of the US must indicate that, but sometimes it is hard to find the tag. I did not see a tag indicating where they were made. If they are made in the US, then I would think it is a real nice selling point. If they are made outside the US I am not calling them out. Expecting that to be the case as almost every piece of clothing like this is made overseas.
    Our fully seam taped tech jackets are made in Colorado
    Last edited by MiCol; 11-12-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Well, at least you got to use your backcountry oral surgery kit once this year...

I like the logo move!

You really gussied up that glove with additional functionality, Mike. Nice work.
    Is that an adjustable/velcro wrist strap?

^it is an adjustable strap

there was a shit pile of stuffing that came out of the cuffs
    but thinned down nicely

before they were a little close to inside cuffs of a jacket. if you have elastic in your cuffs you are really going to have some difficulty
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    1) too much fluff in cuff
    I also do not like bulky cuffs for the space they take up when I put my gloves in my pockets or pack lid. But... one thing I found a while ago is that an insulated and warm wrist goes a long way to keeping fingertips warm. I even know of some old coots who ski with tennis wristbands on cold days, just to keep that pulse area warm, rather than leave it as a mostly un-insulated zone between glove and jacket layering. Don't ask me if it is placebo or science.
    Life is not lift served.

oh, and that shit is no way for a winner to start the day. Bacons and eggs!
    Life is not lift served.

Well just got my XL short cuffs, and (without mods) they fit great. Most XLs are too big and larges are too small for my meat hooks. Definitely better than any lifty approved cheapos I've used in the past, and for $60 they seem like they are made as well and probably better than gloves twice as much. Full disclosure: it is 50 degrees here, but so far so good. Great service, got them 3 days after ordering.

thanks for the hookup! it's cold as shit here, my fingers will be happy when these guys arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    oh, and that shit is no way for a winner to start the day. Bacons and eggs!
    that cereal was last night. my mini review was before the mods. I can tell you from being inside the wrist area there are still layers of insulating foam after I pulled out the thinsulate. So, I think the wrist will still be warm. plus the wrist is already covered by layers (base, mid, etc) and the jacket. so it was eliminating redundancy and bulk screwing with ingress egress that I was going for

ps I still think mine look cooler with the FTP patch on the back where it can be seen and better advertising for FTP
    www.freeridesystems.com

+1 on the sizing question on the shorties. I wear Med gloves in Flylow.

Mags,

Thanks again for all your support. I was impressed by the comment from the poster who mentioned wristbands to keep your hands warm. I wrote a blog post about the truth of my short cuff glove design on our website.

In cold temperatures, I have always had to wear mittens, due to poor circulation in my extremities (Reynaud’s Syndrome). Most human beings have some level of poor circulation in their extremities. So I set out to design an affordable glove that was very warm without sacrificing dexterity. The #1 comment from nearly every one of the ski patrollers and backcountry skiers we talked to (hundreds), is great dexterity means cold hands. Choose one or the other.

How do you overcome this problem?
    1. Add more thin, dense, less lofty insulation, 200 grams.
    2. Get rid of the membrane insert, which traps much more moisture from the inside than it prevents moisture penetration from the outside. Mitigate sweat build-up that turns your hands cold.
    3. The cuff needed to enhance dexterity AND warmth. The only way I could solve this conundrum is a glove wrist that was snug at the base of the hand, which holds the palm in place and prevents the glove from “floating” on your hand and a short/medium length cuff with thicker, dense insulation. One of the amazing remedies, I learned during testing, is that thinness of blood vessels on the under-side of your wrist is a very common reason for circulatory-issue-coldness of your fingers (Reynaud’s again). But to deal with the warmer, bulkier wrist I needed to compensate with a larger than normal Velcro closure. This unique combination allowed me to wear these short-cuff gloves both under and over my cuffs.

This combination became the first glove I have been able to wear on very cold days in my life.

Thanks again,

Free the Powder Gloves

Shorties ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Just to add my 2¢ to the cuff discussion, I bought the long-cuff FTP gloves for super-cold days at work when the beater Kincos wouldn't cut it, so I'm all for a long, warm cuff.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    ^^

Hopefully, the FTP's are warmer than my BD's Guides (which I love otherwise) but when it's below 20, mitts are the only thing that work for my cold digits so looking forward to checking them out also when they are in. BD Mercury's are warm as hell but I could definitely live without their excessive bulk.?
    I ski at the coldest place around & the BD Guide gloves aren't warm enough even though I always use a glove liner as well, but I don't know what else to buy as I can't stand the lack of dexterity in a mitt, so hopefully these will be an improvement! I'm concerned that a non removable shell will require more drying effort at the end of the day, but we'll see, I'm all about the gauntlet as well, cuffs over gloves is counterintuitive & a major hassle as I'm always digging around in my coat.
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by freshie247 View Post
    cuffs over gloves is counterintuitive & a major hassle as I'm always digging around in my coat.
    i've never really understood gauntlet-style beyond they're easier on/off...unless you spend a lot of your time with your hands above your head?
    gloves inside sleeve cuffs is more weather resistant
    water/snow/drips all run downhill
    cinches don't stop this

and those times you plunge your hand down into the snow, neither way is better at keeping snow out of your wrists

i'll see what the fuss is this winter, i guess

Yeah. Mine seem too big and bulky. Not sure if I like the long gauntlet. They seem very well made and quite warm, but I'm not really sure if I'll actually wear them very much.

If anyone wants a size medium hit me with a pm. $45 shipped.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i've never really understood gauntlet-style beyond they're easier on/off...unless you spend a lot of your time with your hands above your head?
    gloves inside sleeve cuffs is more weather resistant
    water/snow/drips all run downhill
    cinches don't stop this

and those times you plunge your hand down into the snow, neither way is better at keeping snow out of your wrists

i'll see what the fuss is this winter, i guess
    I don't know what your hand position is like when you ski, but from this comment I'm going to assume it's shitty. If you're skiing right, you're reaching downhill each turn, and planting a pole with the forearm and bicep making a slight "V," thus placing your elbow below your wrist for most of the time you're skiing. If you're a hack who skis with their hands in their pockets, short gloves are probably the choice for you.

Stoked to test these this weekend with temps in the teens. Originally bought these as a workhorse belay/rap glove for ice/alpine climbing. No signs of significant wear from rope work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I don't know what your hand position is like when you ski, but from this comment I'm going to assume it's shitty. If you're skiing right, you're reaching downhill each turn, and planting a pole with the forearm and bicep making a slight "V," thus placing your elbow below your wrist for most of the time you're skiing. If you're a hack who skis with their hands in their pockets, short gloves are probably the choice for you.
    i always open to improving my skiing, but i'm pretty sure when i reach downhill, i'm reaching DOWNhill...with my body following from up to down with my forearms at worst being parallel to a truly horizontal plane...i'd love to see a picture of what you're talking about

maybe it's that deep blower in utah...in the pnw, i'm not worried about snow getting up my sleeve initiating downhill turns