Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Please tell me you're joking...they're not even from Seattle.
    yes, my bad! Massholes.

It's been 20 years man! Anyhow, I remember now what it was, the drummer of Dinosaur Jr was considered for drummer of Nirvana. I'm an idiot.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I might be a little dusted but I'm not insane

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    yes, my bad! Massholes.

It's been 20 years man! Anyhow, I remember now what it was, the drummer of Dinosaur Jr was considered for drummer of Nirvana. I'm an idiot.
    Soundgarden was the first out of that scene to get signed to a major label. I was going to UW and going out to see bands a lot...saw Soundgarden play to 50 people at a show benefiting a lesbian teen support group. Started seeing A&R guys at all these grunge shows, pretty amusing. Interesting (to me anyway) that within that mix of musicians, indie label crew, journalists etc we all mostly agreed that Hippie Big Buckle was the most intense band in the grunge scene. A band with pretty much zero recognition.

I always have hated 99% of the music that came out of the grunge era. Just garbage.

but

there was some incredible music during the 90s. most notably Leftfield "Leftism". If you like dance music, check this out. Classic! Also, so much good other good dance music was released back then.

Tons of respect to the music of the 80s. Even the mainstream music then was just incredible and still sounds amazing to this day. So much great classics from Run DMC, Beastie Boys, RHCP and more.
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Not into electronic or dance music but I did enjoy the orange Chemical Bros album from the 90s.
    I still call it The Jake.

ever hear Chemical Brothers "Live at the Social Volume 1"? was released in '96

straight up nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Quote Originally Posted by SKIORFORGETIT View Post
    I always have hated 99% of the music that came out of the grunge era. Just garbage.

but

there was some incredible music during the 90s. most notably Leftfield "Leftism". If you like dance music, check this out. Classic! Also, so much good other good dance music was released back then.

Tons of respect to the music of the 80s. Even the mainstream music then was just incredible and still sounds amazing to this day. So much great classics from Run DMC, Beastie Boys, RHCP and more.
    I think the RHCP and the BBs are lumped in with 90's music even though they had their starts and first "successes" in the 80's. This may make some people gnash their teeth and rip their hair out.

A couple not mentioned yet: Rollins Band, Butthole Surfers, Kyuss. Totally forgot about Silver Chair, Buster, thanks for the reminder.

A couple bands from the 90s I didn't know about then but listen to now: Drive Like Jehu and Neutral Milk Hotel.

The sound of the Counting Crows lead singer made me want to murder something back then. The worst frat boy-stoner music ever.

Drive Like Jehu especially good when you google "rome plow".

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    A couple not mentioned yet: Rollins Band, Butthole Surfers, Kyuss. Totally forgot about Silver Chair, Buster, thanks for the reminder.

A couple bands from the 90s I didn't know about then but listen to now: Drive Like Jehu and Neutral Milk Hotel.

The sound of the Counting Crows lead singer made me want to murder something back then. The worst frat boy-stoner music ever.
    The Butthole Surfers. Another 80's band that reached a wider audience and "acclaim" in the 90's.

Not quite sure how to classify the Rollins Band. I'm going to go with 80's as well because Black Flag. That said, the Rollins Band was great during the first Lollapalooza tour in 91.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The Butthole Surfers. Another 80's band that reached a wider audience and "acclaim" in the 90's.

Not quite sure how to classify the Rollins Band. I'm going to go with 80's as well because Black Flag. That said, the Rollins Band was great during the first Lollapalooza tour in 91.
    BS was an 80's band, you are right, and I forgot their best stuff was from the eighties. Shit was too long ago. RB is nineties for sure, but anything is debatable I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    BS was an 80's band, you are right, and I forgot their best stuff was from the eighties. Shit was too long ago. RB is nineties for sure, but anything is debatable I guess.
    Heh. What were you, 22 going on 23?

According to wikipedia (I know, right?), Rollins Band "First edition" started in 87. However, I think the 90's was really their time. However, an 80's band because Black Flag. {Talk about quite the pigeon-hole, eh?)

And I get a chuckle out of seeing Henry Rollins on the H2 Channel doing his "10 Things show". I am not sure whether to laugh or cry though.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Soundgarden was the first out of that scene to get signed to a major label. I was going to UW and going out to see bands a lot...saw Soundgarden play to 50 people at a show benefiting a lesbian teen support group. Started seeing A&R guys at all these grunge shows, pretty amusing. Interesting (to me anyway) that within that mix of musicians, indie label crew, journalists etc we all mostly agreed that Hippie Big Buckle was the most intense band in the grunge scene. A band with pretty much zero recognition.
    I was wondering if Allerbush was thinking of Temple of the Dog (a combination of Soundgarden and what became Pearl Jam) rather than Dino Jr due to that "first band signed out of the grunge scene" comment.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I think the RHCP and the BBs are lumped in with 90's music even though they had their starts and first "successes" in the 80's. This may make some people gnash their teeth and rip their hair out.
    i can understand how that can happen

despite "under the bridge", Blood Sugar Sex was/is still great....something about that intro to "suck my kiss"

don't forget Minor Threat was from the 80s

then again, there was some amazing bands from the 90s such as Shelter, Endpoint, 4 Walls Falling & more

I was wondering if Allerbush was thinking of Temple of the Dog (a combination of Soundgarden and what became Pearl Jam) rather than Dino Jr due to that "first band signed out of the grunge scene" comment.
    No, unfortunately for me, just a complete slippage of mind. Soundgarden was the first signed out of Seattle, but I think Dino Jr. may have signed before Soundgarden...definitely not out of seattle.

Henry Rollins roll in the movie Heat was epic.

Faith No More was interesting....I know I know, somewhat 80s, but really hit fame in the 1990 with Epic...this song off of Angel Dust still cracks me up:

and this...

Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Y'all are a bunch of old bastards

All I have to contribute is anything Jack Endino was involved in was good stuff

In regards to the Beastie Boys... They had 2 mainstream albums in the 80s but I think a bulk of their work was done in the 90s, with Check Your Head, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty (plus a few others). They have newer stuff too. I think if I had to lump them into a decade, the 90s would be it. Even though grandpa's been rapping since '83
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Wasn't Temple of the Dog put together as a one disc tribute to the guy who died from Mother Love Bone? And wasn't MLB one of the 'first' grunge groups out of Seattle, or at least on Sub Pop?

She's On It made the rounds in 85-86 era.

Not enough Pumpkins love on this thread either. I still rock out to Gish and Pisces Iscariot while skiing. Sure Billy was/is the band but Jimmy Chamberlin, their drummer, and longest member besides Billy was the real force behind that music I thought. Dude could flat out rock on drums.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wasn't Temple of the Dog put together as a one disc tribute to the guy who died from Mother Love Bone?
    Yes. Not sure about the signing though. I bought the first pearl jam album because it had a sticker on the front saying it featured former members of MLB.

I'll always consider the beasties an 80's band. She's on it was huge in 85
    As was cookie puss. In 86 or 87 they headlined with public enemy and Murphy's law. They did some great albums in the 90's but still an 80's band. Same with the RHCP, I'd put them as 80's. 89 spring block party at SU featured them as headliners with mighty mighty boss tones and fishbone.

As for Rollins band I had a roommate wicked into the first album in the late 80's but I'd say they hit it in the 90's. I think black flag actually started in the 70's, I'd say 80's is when they hit it "big".

Thanks, this thread makes me feel like the old fart that I am. No one better start a thread on 70's punk, some of my favorite albums are pushing 40!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, apparently just hiatuses.

Here's an interesting podcast of the Crowes drummer Steve Gorman's radio show (I had no clue he has a Fox Sports radio gig daily #keanau"whoah") where he talks about the breakup. Chris Robinson must have spent the holidays with Axl Rose, seems like a class A dickmove.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1237...Crowes-Breakup

I've only heard that show in passing on a buddy's iPod, that must have been pretty sweet! Some conflict with Columbia records wouldn't let them release the recordings (Crowes v Page labels I guess) with the rest of that show on CD so I think the only way to get them was to buy the tracks via some bootleg off the soundboard.
    I could have sworn that they cut that album... I know the worked out a cd from a different venue as well, can't remember which one. It was a weird time for JP.. He was coming back from back problems and wasn't at the top of his game... But as someone who fell in love with The Ocean in 6th or 7th grade, just being in the same room with that dude was a dream come true.

On that note...

I have to wonder how that jabroni got through 30 guitar riffs without that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Swervedriver
    Treepeople
    Ride
    Skullflower
    Crust
    Steel pole bathtub
    Shellac
    Hitting Birth
    Shellac ( next to Minor threat/ramones/DinasourJr ) was one of the loudest I ever saw. My ears rang for weeks. There is a good doc whith shellac and wilco and others where there are tearing down a house?