Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

20 Years Since Many Great 90's Music Debuts

Cross post here just b/c M/B/M doesn't seem to get traction for discussion.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...e-And-Dreaming

Thread being said, despite what I originally thought was a bad music era at the time turned out to be one of the best. To steal a quote from one of the articles at the link, the music at the time inlcuded:

To date, there haven’t been inklings of reissues, remixes, box sets or new vinyl pressings. (In a way, this is refreshing.) The Dave Matthews Band’s red-letter day is certainly nothing like what Oasis, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Weezer, Outkast, Green Day, Wu-Tang Clan and others have been lauded with regarding their noteworthy album vicennials in recent months/years.
    Upon UTTAD’s release, American music was as varied on radio as it had ever been, really. Alt-rock stations were popping up by the week, and hip-hop was coming into its own as well. Kurt Cobain had been dead for almost six months. Notorious B.I.G., whose Ready to Die was released two weeks prior to UTTAD, was about to usher in 1990s rap zeitgeist. Beastie Boys were in their prime. Boyz II Men, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Ace of Base were dominating the pop charts, while Beck, Counting Crows, Green Day, R.E.M. and Cranberries were finding the most success on Modern Rock Radio. Even weird things, like the Friends theme song, became something people sought to listen to.

And, yes, UTTAD’s debut essentially falls in line with Friends going on the air. We are so old.
    And yes, I understand many of the mags will fear to be outed as not solely limited to Zappa fans. (see link for my complete disclaimer)

What do you remember about 90s music 20 years on?
    I still call it The Jake.

Continued note, while not completely 90's per se: how old and bitter does the 'Coug seem now? I remember a happy go lucky, yet honest John Mellencamp. Now that he's launched this latest PR/tour he seems pretty damn angry. Even about his former self. /roseglasses.

I heard this guy celebrated his 50th birthday today. Honorary Mag?

While not entirely 90s I did enjoy the return of these cats a few years back for their reunion tour

These were good 90s too

back on 90s

Last edited by BmillsSkier; 09-27-2014 at 11:39 PM.

^^ ha good ones. I was thinking pixies. brings me back

sweet Chinook

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    ^^ ha good ones. I was thinking pixies. brings me back
    you get the point! Whatever brings you back. 20 years man!

Here's another:

this ones old enough to drink

3rd eye blind and this also with a ski theme connection from then

Swervedriver
    Treepeople
    Ride
    Skullflower
    Crust
    Steel pole bathtub
    Shellac
    Hitting Birth

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    What do you remember about 90s music 20 years on?
    That it was marginally better than the 80s, but also, that many of the 90s "musical genius" outfits, like Oasis, sucked dookies. The reduction in tinny, trebly production dominance of the "industry" was a benefit. The diminution of synthesizer-as-keen-novelty bullshit was excellent.

The 90s was when R.E.M. went from pretty interesting group from Athens to the start of Metrosexual Worship and the celebrity nascence of J. Michael Stipe, spokesman for alienated closeted gays everywhere across upper-middle-class America. Prior to that, REM was a band; after that, REM was a spokesband for metrosexuality and its music mattered less than Stipe's pronouncements on whatever was the pressing issue for wealthy gay men of the era.

Highlights of the 90s for me involved lots of live music from good bands: The Mekons, Yo La Tengo, Straitjacket Fits, The Bats, The Auteurs, Richard Thompson, Television.

Also, the 90s was when Jerry died and Phish took over as outlet for trustafarians needing a summer thing to do.

Everyone knows the 90s were only ten years ago.

Alice in Chains' "Dirt"
    Morphine's "Cure for Pain"
    Uncle Tupelo's "Anodyne" and subsequent break-up
    U2's "Achtung Baby" and subsequent descent into utter crap with "Zooropa"

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 07-18-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Updated dead links

The early-mid 90's produced what will go down in history as the best hip-hop/rap ever recorded. Too many to list. I love the earlier stuff, and some of the later stuff, but the period between Fear of a Black Planet and The Score was the golden age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Agree on all points with Tipp and STFU.

Haven't thought of Morphiene in years, I'm going to have to cue them up today if I can find the old Cd.

I was living the dream during the 80's, and even I have sense enough to admit the 90's blows away the 80's for music.

MTV was not good for music, and about 83 to 90 was dark times. However big hair, and actually getting laid at a show was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    90's blows away the 80's for music.
    I don't know

Blondie, The Clash, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, (early)U2, Bauhaus, Eurythmics, Billy Idol, Joe jackson, Joy Division, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, PIL, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Pretenders, The Police, REM, The Romantics, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, DEVO, Depeche Mode, Dead Kennedys, The Cars, 10,00 maniacs. I could go on an on.

All that 90's grunge and heavy rock sounded the same.

The fundamental principle of the discussion is fine, but it's easy for it to degrade into teh stupid because it's selects a particular ear era.
    So here's to the greats of the 90s as part of the konceptual continuum: Nirvana, Mother Love Bone/Pearl Jam, Green Day, Soundgarden, Moby, DMB, Jane's Addiction, REM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beck, Smashing Pumpkins, Primus, RATM, Cake, Silver Chair, The Offspring, and so on.
    OK, so one can quibble that some of these are "80s" bands. So?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I don't know

Blondie, The Clash, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, (early)U2, Bauhaus, Eurythmics, Billy Idol, Joe jackson, Joy Division, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, PIL, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Pretenders, The Police, REM, The Romantics, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, DEVO, Depeche Mode, Dead Kennedys, The Cars, 10,00 maniacs. I could go on an on.

All that 90's grunge and heavy rock sounded the same.

Good chunk of your list would qualify as 70's.

I'm a rock guy, so guess I can see your point. Hair metal was some sad shit, compared to the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    ^^^ best hip hop album of alltimes!

As a high schooler in NYC in the early/mid 90's, hip hop was the soundtrack of life. No matter if you were a hippie kid, a grunge kid, a Madonna fan, or whatever, everyone listened to Nas, Biggie, Wu-Tang, Tribe etc... Definitely the golden age of hip hop.

Saw this piece about hip hop in '94 on FB a while back and it brought back memories http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...greatest-year/

On the opposite end of the musical spectrum, Phish Fall/NYE run '97 and Island Tour '98 were the peak of my aural experience in the '90's

Beasties, e.g.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3gH27Fn6E

Blind Melon's "bee girl" video, Mudhoney, 311, Pharcyde . . . .

man, i'm going to lose hours on youtube now. have me thinking of dave playing every Tuesday (?) night at Trax in C'Ville for a few bucks. originals and covers. boyd tinsley was the key ingredient, imo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rvYlemlF0