Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I've been running a speed turn 2.0 on 116 waist skis for a while no problem. I didn't even know a recommendation for a narrower waist existed. I converted to a B and D top plate and volcano riser and that is the best combo for me.

Did the 2.0 upgrade to the radical toe, is that the difference?
    So far I have survived skiing with a 20.5mm Plum 145 heel width pattern on a 103mm waist La Sportiva Vapor Nano.

The 2.0 toe has the same mounting pattern as the Radical, and the same integrated base plate (no separate plastic shim), but no Power Towers guide posts, and a few other things are slightly different.

Bumping this old thread for a question I'm sure someone here has the answer for.

Ms Boissal does not like the Speed Turn 2.0 heels. She hasn't figured out the proper angle to rotate the heel piece with her pole. She will fight with the binding until I worry she's going to torque it right off the ski and eventually rotate it by end, all the while giving me an earful about how much better the Speed Rad heels on her other skis are. I figured getting her some Speed Rad heels for Xmas would help her actually like her skis.

My plan was to keep the mounting plate of the Speed Turns on the ski and just swap the housings since the posts themselves are the same. I tested that today and the Rad heels work as they should, 4 very distinct rotation steps that require some force to go through. Not using the Speed Rad mounting plate means no anti-rotation device though as it goes under the plate when installing the binding. I don't really want to remount those skis as they're DPS Pure that are thinner than average, I had to shorten the screws to avoid dimpling the bases (great weight saving technique DPS) and the Speed Rads have longer screws which I'd need to take the angle grinder to (no fun). I've also experienced at most 3 unwanted rotations in 10 years of touring with Dynafits and the anti-rotation device seems like a solution in search of a problem (unless the Speed Rad heel is much more prone to rotating than the Speed Turn heel, or the older Vertical ST/FT).

So, thoughts? Is Ms Boissal gonna die if I don't install the anti-rotation device or will she never realize it's missing? Apparently it forces you to rotate the binding 3/4 turn to get to ski mode which guarantees annoyance on her part...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Apparently it forces you to rotate the binding 3/4 turn to get to ski mode which guarantees annoyance on her part...
    Actually it doesn't. They put that arrow on the top plate for the ST and FT bindings that use brakes so you wouldn't rotate it backward and trash them, but it makes no difference with the Speed Radicals (in fact, it is better NOT to do that if you install the anti-rotation fix as there is a lot of friction). Turn counter-clockwise to go back to ski mode.

Whether or not the heels will auto-rotate back into ski mode without the anti-rotation device, it depends on the snow and the boot heel and how the tread lines up with the lifters . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Actually it doesn't. They put that arrow on the top plate for the ST and FT bindings that use brakes so you wouldn't rotate it backward and trash them, but it makes no difference with the Speed Radicals (in fact, it is better NOT to do that if you install the anti-rotation fix as there is a lot of friction). Turn counter-clockwise to go back to ski mode.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Seemed like a really odd thing to force for a binding that's designed to rotate 1/4 turn only. She doesn't have brakes now so direction of rotation will be whatever is easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Whether or not the heels will auto-rotate back into ski mode without the anti-rotation device, it depends on the snow and the boot heel and how the tread lines up with the lifters . . .
    Guess we'll go without the thing for now and if she ends up in ski mode 13 times during her first 500' skinner I'll remount the stupid things...

Thanks for clarifying that. Seemed like a really odd thing to force for a binding that's designed to rotate 1/4 turn only. She doesn't have brakes now so direction of rotation will be whatever is easiest.
    It works fine with brakes, too, as long as you hold the brake down with your hand while turning it counter-clockwise.

Bumping this old thread for a question I'm sure someone here has the answer for.

Ms Boissal does not like the Speed Turn 2.0 heels. She hasn't figured out the proper angle to rotate the heel piece with her pole. She will fight with the binding until I worry she's going to torque it right off the ski and eventually rotate it by end, all the while giving me an earful about how much better the Speed Rad heels on h..

This is an old thread cuz I hadnt peeled off a top plate yet and started whining about what a fucking shitty design the Rad1 lifters are

she has to rotate not pry like it is a lever but good luck with that
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bumping this because those with Speed Turns are most likely to have an answer. I’ve got a new pair of Look ST 10 (which seem identical to Speed Turns) I just mounted up - and went to use my Scarpa F1 boots - and the toe rubber is much much too thick for them to work well. Obviously I can knock off 3mm of rubber with a belt sander, but was surprised that the combo of F1s and Speed Turns wouldn’t work - seems like a very common combo. . I’ve had no issue with my old TLTs. Anyone else seen the same thing?

I have F1s and Speed Turns, and they work fine together. On very close inspection, there is a small amount of boot sole at the very front that is rubbing on the binding (in the spring area) in free-pivot mode, but, in my case, it is very small -- I could sand off less than 1mm and it would be non-existent.

These are fairly new F1s, BTW, so any normal wear on the F1s would obviate the issue.

Thanks Andy. Going to chalk it up to manufacturing tolerances and start up the belt sander.

Update: 10 minutes for 4-5 cycles with a bench-mounted belt sander to take off 2-3mm rubber off the F1 toe and test/refit, this is now a happy pairing. I also deepened the position divot in the boot toe with a rasp a tiny bit. Going to chalk it up to this pair of F1s having a little extra rubber on the toe. Anyway, Robert is your brother’s mother.