Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This car topper rod case looks promising

Looks like you can get it for $99 pre-order or am I misreading that?

http://www.smartcrossbars.com/quickdraw-rod-case/

Price is attractive. I certainly like the titan rod vault design a lot more, not liking the custom crossbars for the QR function. Kinda looks like a Tomahawk cruise missle.

I like the titan too, but no way I could ever justify $500.00 for one! I always thought that that price was way out of whack.

This is a must have bit of gear.....for people who fish next to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    This is a must have bit of gear.....for people who fish next to the road.
    Next to the road? That sounds like too much work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVEbvTmiLAE

Meh

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

These are pretty sweet as well, Big Sky Rod Box, holds four rods and no tube to catch and bend your guides.

Hey Neckdeep, if I float a river with 3 anglers and anywhere between 5-9 rods that's a lot of cumulative time saved rigging up at the boat ramp. Where I park my vehicle is almost never in sight of where I intend to fish, with or without a boat.

We all know by now that you can't stand to float anymore, hate any river that has a book written about it, and feel your hike-to streams are far superior to any stream with easy access. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    These are pretty sweet as well, Big Sky Rod Box, holds four rods and no tube to catch and bend your guides.

Hey Neckdeep, if I float a river with 3 anglers and anywhere between 5-9 rods that's a lot of cumulative time saved rigging up at the boat ramp. Where I park my vehicle is almost never in sight of where I intend to fish, with or without a boat.

We all know by now that you can't stand to float anymore, hate any river that has a book written about it, and feel your hike-to streams are far superior to any stream with easy access. Cool.
    That looks good but seriously $600 for a case is just obnoxious.

Meh, I don't mind having to rig up every time I go out. I usually just assemble the rod and wait until I'm at the hole to tie up. It gives me time to watch the river and see what is going on, where if I arrived fully rigged, I would just start casting and spook fish. The only way into the trunk of my car is with the key (no inside latch and the back seats don't go down), so my stuff just hangs out in there, out of sight and secure.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post

9 rods rigged in the boat? Thats a bit crowded. Sounds like you need to invent a modular rod vault that moves easily between the car roof and the boat. Anyhowz, going out to float a famous river today...love to float in the fall. Love floating. Don't really like floating with summer crowds. Don't really like adding an extra $50 in gas and shuttle just to catch some fish when I live next to a very wadable river full of big fish. Hike-to just lets me get free of the herd, find the dumb fish and saves $1000 over the season.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-20-2014 at 06:06 AM.

My rods stay rigged hanging in the garage. They go directly into the car/truck rigged. Would be nice to have them out of the way, but not for $500.00-$600.00.

Hugh Conway Guest
    how much better faired is the nose cone/side joints on the production version vs. the rather crude looking prototype (wind noise)

-not nearly fucking cool enough to pay $600 for a fucking rod rack

I just hold them out the window pointing backwards with my flies unhooked from the keeper. Good practice for untangling, but it's kind of tough to smoke a smoke while driving.

Do these rod carriers come with a full-size window sticker?

Hugh Conway Guest
    the big sky box does seem to have an awesomely large trout on the back (do they customize by species?) to show off your "troutness". guess that's all part of the guide sizzle being sold.

Before I saw this thread, I was pretty full of myself for finding 2 beat up old bungies, connecting them in the back of my minivan, hanging the rods from them, and sticking the tips of the rods above the visors.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    9 rods rigged in the boat? Thats a bit crowded. Sounds like you need to invent a modular rod vault that moves easily between the car roof and the boat. Anyhowz, going out to float a famous river today...love to float in the fall. Love floating. Don't really like floating with summer crowds. Don't really like adding an extra $50 in gas and shuttle just to catch some fish when I live next to a very wadable river full of big fish. Hike-to just lets me get free of the herd, find the dumb fish and saves $1000 over the season.
    dude you're funny
    well whateverz you do don't spend that extra $$$ on a camera or take any pictures of the famous fish in the famous river or try and add anything but your usual pissy fuck shit to the one part of tgr that the anonoumous dipshit trolls don't frequent.

I still gots one of them nice white plastic boxes the mag krp123456789 built been meanin to
    grab some rod socks and pvc tubes
    should be still under a benny
    but if i put a yeti sticker on it
    should be worth twice that
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

that Big Sky rod box looks pretty sweet but $600 buys a shit load of flies.
    ...or another pair of skis

I usually just break my rods in half and throw them up on the dash on the way to the river or use the good old magnetic hood mounts if I'm driving from hole to hole.

Bumping this thread...since 2014 was a long time ago. The wife wants a rooftop fly rod holder for when we go on camping trips. The last two season, they either went in the truck, or in the camper. When I go fishing around home, I always just throw them in the ski holder on the Subaru.

We all know how some people feel about these, but I can resist no more.

Any suggestions for best one currently on the market that doesn't wear the finish off rods? I have talked to several people with various brands of these and they have all said they now break more rods. Maybe they are leaving them in all the time and they are getting cooked, but I also think the vibration could be causing problems.

I notice the Thule one has poly lined tubes. Anyone else do lined tubes?

I really dig the Big Sky Rod Box....but fuck. No way in hell I am paying $979 plus $250 in shipping. That is insanity.

I would like one that holds 4 rods and again, the tubes are lined or the rods are held in foam like the Big Sky.

Bonus points if it can fit 11' rods.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

You've probably seen these around. There are a ton of them in RFV. Mandatory if you're pulling a Boulder boat.
    The tubes have a plastic liner so the rods don't get so beat up. 10' is standard, but I'm sure Troy could make you and 11'.
    Spendy, but quality.
    https://flyrodsafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    You've probably seen these around. There are a ton of them in RFV. Mandatory if you're pulling a Boulder boat.
    The tubes have a plastic liner so the rods don't get so beat up. 10' is standard, but I'm sure Troy could make you and 11'.
    Spendy, but quality.
    https://flyrodsafe.com

Hahaha....I knew this thread would bring a post from you.

$2K....not a flipping chance and yes...seen a lot of these around Assspen.

I did call Riversmith right after I posted and theirs are in fact lined and they have an 11'4" option. "Designed, Assembled and Shipped" in the Peoples Republic of Boulder, free shipping. Still a bit expensive, but happy wife...happy life. That is gonna look silly as hell on my Tacoma....but such is life.

I am so lazy, most times I am not even willing to put the rods I use in the garage....just hang them on the side of the house. Chances of me taking a rod apart are pretty fucking low.

I have watched that video before and I must say....four rods (one for each member of the family) do get all tangled laying across a bed in the camper. I think for driving a couple hours, towing the camper with a full truck...it probably makes sense. Besides...isn't strapping a T&T and 3 Scott's to your hood more of a flex then a rod vault?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Hahaha....I knew this thread would bring a post from you
    Yeah? Why?

You haven’t seen that video before, unless it was this morning. It’s been out for 6hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Yeah? Why?

You haven’t seen that video before, unless it was this morning. It’s been out for 6hrs.
    Wasn't that intro from one of your old videos....in like 2019?

Also, I subscribe to your videos so I get notifications and watch them when I poop on Monday mornings. It sucks when you are late posting. Ruins my routine.

Again, I honestly can't justify $2K. Also...it only holds rods up to 10ft. How do I carry my euro nymphing rod?

i sewed some elastic loops onto velcro & stuck them to my truck topper roof
    unfortunately, rods longer than 9' is not great -- 10' is prolly fine to bend the tip for a short ride

for rods longer than 9': orthodontic rubber bands - $6 for 500 at the drug store
    separate the fully rigged rod into two pieces and rubber band it together to keep everything neat

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i sewed some elastic loops onto velcro & stuck them to my truck topper roof
    unfortunately, rods longer than 9' is not great -- 10' is prolly fine to bend the tip for a short ride

for longer rods: orthodontic rubber bands - $6 for 500 at the drug store
    separate the fully rigged rod into two pieces and rubber band it together to keep everything neat
    Either you are not married...or you didn't read my post. These are all great ideas. Things that I am personally good with.

However, this morning my wife literally sad to me "We need a holder for fishing rods, which one do you want? I hate how we transport them."

I know that is literally what she said because she sent me a txt from the bedroom, where she is on quarantine after testing positive for COVID, despite having it once and being vaccinated.

Now I have to drive around in my Tacoma looking like a dweeb and when I pull over to my local spots, people will know I am there fishing. This is why I am against these vaults and fishing stickers.

And yes Roo....my other vehicle is a Subaru.

no, i didn't read your post - more at the vid...i'm not paying thousands for a rod vault before spending thousands on rods -- not my world
    vibes about your wife
    and the covid too