Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I guess all those Tesla owners out there are a wee bit less smug today.

Here’s an interesting swing, our hardwire (copper) landline and dsl went out this morning. Looking at my generator, it’s run for over 150hrs (conservative #) powering our house from various pge outages and we’ve never experienced a disruption in landline and dsl. I called our provider, AT&T, and was told that their backup power failed. They’ll be able to restore service once pge powers up some (uncertain) portion of the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I guess all those Tesla owners out there are a wee bit less smug today.
    The Tesla owners with solar and battery backup are extra smug though.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Thank you for the laugh.
    You’re welcome. Next joke will be about living in a post truth world where objective reality, facts and data take a back seat to arguments based on tribalism, emotion and personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The Tesla owners with solar and battery backup are extra smug though.
    Yeah, but, Whole Foods is closed.

I heard the Caples controlled burn is now a wildfire. I think it has to be declared a wildfire to get additional resources on it (some fire guy correct me if I'm wrong).

To be fair, they started the burn with snow on the ground and before this wind event wasn't forecasted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9ccbef9d56d6f6e1c0f2839410265e724a9962b5a70e5b300cc4450a33ef37e1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	438.1 KB 
ID:	297212

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    I heard the Caples controlled burn is now a wildfire. I think it has to be declared a wildfire to get additional resources on it (some fire guy correct me if I'm wrong).

To be fair, they started the burn with snow on the ground and before this wind event wasn't forecasted.
    No mention of any of that in their update here...
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CAEN...0-134552-0.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

But ... Wait ......

Paradise was a brand new community? Forcing itself into the urban forest interface??

Pretty sure it's been there long enough to indicate something else is afoot.

Oh, and controlled burns in October?!?!? If true (seems unlikely) then somebody deserve a promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    No mention of any of that in their update here...
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CAEN...0-134552-0.pdf
    Caples Creek, 4 Miles Northwest of Kirkwood
    Federal DPA, FRA, Eldorado National Forest
    Start time: 1343
    2,000 acres, timber, 30% contained
    Moderate rate of spread
    67 degrees, 6% RH, Wind ESE @ 5 mph, gusts to 15
    CAL FIRE air and ground resources assisting

Lassen Hot Shots en route. Plenty of room to get it in check.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Oh, and controlled burns in October?!?!? If true (seems unlikely) then somebody deserve a promotion.
    I'm guessing you don't live here.

Santa Cruz is a patchwork of power. We never lost it. Others did. Some is back on.

We pretty much saw power lost In every direction around us. Odd that we had power the entire time.

It may not be possible to prevent all powerline started wildfires but PGE has been taking in profits by forgoing maintenance and replacing of its equipment. That is well established.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It may not be possible to prevent all powerline started wildfires but PGE has been taking in profits by forgoing maintenance and replacing of its equipment. That is well established.
    I think that is incorrect. Replacing / upgrading equipment is PGEs primary profit maker

California is Burning (Again)

I’m in town, 5 minutes from my road and 10 minutes from my house. Power is on in town. Pge website says estimated power restoration for my house will be 11pm October 13. 73 hrs from now... wow

ETA: they’re saying that for everywhere in my area....

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’m in town, 5 minutes from my road and 10 minutes from my house. Power is on in town. Pge website says estimated power restoration for my house will be 11pm October 13. 73 hrs from now... wow

ETA: they’re saying that for everywhere in my area....
    Wow, that sucks. PGE is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I'm sure this is 100% of the reason they're cutting power. PG&E should never have been liable for the Paradise fire. If dumb fucks want to build communities in perfect fire traps they should accept the fact that shit happens. Don't bite the hand that powers you. Same analogy can apply to Scot Schmidt stating that people that sue ski resorts should be shot.

This is PG&E's middle finger to them being bankrupted by lawsuits and nothing else.
    Pretty much this. What this all boils down to is the state needs to take over the power grid. For profit companies can't be trusted as there is a conflict of interest between public safety and increasing profits by deferring maintenance, and they have no control over public land use policy so people build in fire traps and demand power.

I do support pg&e here in the blackout. Something about the current situation must change. Either the state needs to regulate the shit out of the maintenance program and indemnify pg&e, take over the grid entirely and maintain it themselves, or just let a private company function as they decide and people have to deal with it if the state wants to hold them fully accountable when shit goes wrong.

This is a hard lesson in risk management for the public.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I am not a lawyer but I don’t think that PGE is required by law to supply power to people in fire traps. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am not wrong, then this is nothing more than a money grab by PGE. PGE should either say “no way will I supply power to you because it is unsafe” or do it in a safe way and figure out some way to pay for it. No state regulations should be required if PGE was negligent. If there is some gray area, then regulations can help.

And for the record, I would not mind a state run utility. Better yet, everyone get solar power so that we can decentralize the power grid. No one talks about it, yet a centralized power grid is a national security issue. Imagine a cyber attack where you take out the power grid or try to start fires during peak fire season.

Power is back on at my place. The wind never blew over 10 mph. Pg&e still came by and “inspected the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think that is incorrect. Replacing / upgrading equipment is PGEs primary profit maker
    Yeah, so Judge Alsup in April of this year, with all the evidence in front of him at their probation hearing for criminal negligence for not maintaining their gas lines was wrong when he said, "PG&E pumped out $4.5 billion in dividends and let the tree budget wither"?

In related news, fire in Sylmar just jumped 118 and 5 at Newhall (all twelve lanes or whatever) and is raging totally out of control. Spotting like a mile or two ahead of the main fire. Looks like could level some subdivisions. Winds in Newhall gusting around 50 and 5% RH. They're calling it the Saddle Ridge Fire.

ETA:
    And, yes, we should municipalize PG&E (probably SCE and SDG&E too). Their business model wouldn't be long for the world anyway, even without fire danger. The nature of energy economics is shifting entirely and the model makes less sense with each passing year. See Wara discussion here: https://twitter.com/MichaelWWara/sta...628591104?s=19
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Recent clips from this dude more on point.
    https://twitter.com/564FIREPhoto?s=09

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I am not a lawyer but I don’t think that PGE is required by law to supply power to people in fire traps. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am not wrong, then this is nothing more than a money grab by PGE. PGE should either say “no way will I supply power to you because it is unsafe” or do it in a safe way and figure out some way to pay for it. No state regulations should be required if PGE was negligent. If there is some gray area, then regulations can help.

And for the record, I would not mind a state run utility. Better yet, everyone get solar power so that we can decentralize the power grid. No one talks about it, yet a centralized power grid is a national security issue. Imagine a cyber attack where you take out the power grid or try to start fires during peak fire season.
    The problem is a bit more tricky than this. Read up on the Tennessee Valley Authority Act and the history there. The CA PUC pretty much mandates that people get power somehow, and the TVA act from the 30's is a bit of a hammer that PG&E could be taken over by the govt if they are found to be discriminating against a class of citizens (poorer rural folks). Combine this with land use policy that allows people to build and rebuild in fire traps, poor forest management where the utility crosses through, and saddling the utility with UNLIMITED FINANCIAL AND CRIMINAL LIABILITY in the event of a fire, and what is a business to do? How can PG&E mitigate their risk? Shut it down and fly the bird at the public.

The State has backed the power companies into a corner. This is the only smart business move here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    In related news, fire in Sylmar just jumped 118 and 5 at Newhall (all twelve lanes or whatever)....l]
    Wait, what?! The fire's inflitrating north into Santa Clarita or south, towards Granada Hills?

EDIT- Nevermind, you're thinking I-5 and Antelope Valley Fwy (14).
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sorry. Meant 5 and 210. Started just east of 5 and just north of 210. Jumped 5 and slopped over 210 a bit to the south. When I wrote that, it was heading toward 118 and Topanga. Still is. So wrote 118 when meant to write 210.

Winds are supposed to come down a lot by noon or so, so hopefully that helps them get a better handle on it before too much more damage.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

“Today: The Caples prescribed burn was declared a wildland fire on October 10 at approximately 1:30 pm. Fire managers made the decision due to unfavorable weather conditions and the inability to meet previously established objectives. This change allows for additional resources to assist in suppression from partners such as CalFire.

The Caples prescribed burn began as pile burning 10 days ago under favorable conditions following rain and snowstorms. This is part of a larger, multi-year forest restoration project. The goal of this project is to promote a healthy resilient forest by reintroducing fire to the landscape. In anticipation of the upcoming strong winds, fire managers began building fireline and conducting firing operations to secure the fire perimeter. Unfavorable conditions over the past few days prevented crews from being able to complete the firing operations contributed to the incident being declared a wildland fire”

While it's true that people building in these areas knew of the elevated fire risk, same as folks who build in a flood plane enticed by much lower property costs.. It's also true that the utility companies have an obligation to mitigate the risks associated with the delivery of their products in a reasonable manner.

It's also true that climate change is raising these risks and all that matters there, all the proof you need, is to see how the insurance company actuaries reflect these elevated risks in premiums.. or not even insuring them at all so the government steps in like they do with National Flood Insurance. If they don't have it already, look for National Fire Insurance coming to these areas if people keep rebuilding there after disaster after disaster.. Or is national subsidized insurance only for rich people who can afford million dollar plus beach houses??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!