Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    I bet all the people in the Midwest enduring record cold would love a nice fire in their backyards right now. Those Californians need some perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Why are we so fixated on the power lines causing fires all of the sudden?

The landscape in these areas is designed to burn. It has to burn to stay healthy and it will burn and man will cause it to burn no matter what we do to prevent it. It's how the ecosystem has evolved over thousands of years. If the power lines don't cause it, something else will by man's hand.

We need to look at how we develop in the interface, and "shelter in place" design and construction when we do. These mass evacuations are ridiculous and dangerous. The money we're looking at spending to underground lines would be much better spent on community planning and re-configuring.
    Power lines are an issue because they tend to cause fires at the worst times--during wind storms. Yes, these ecosystems will burn, but the intensity and spread can be limited if the fires, including prescribed burns, happen when the weather is favorable.
    Burying or just properly maintaining the lines and corridors won't stop all fires but it will stop a lot of them.
    Certainly better building codes and zoning are important but that doesn't preclude dealing with the lines. Different pot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    A bit hyperbolic for my taste...
    My thought too. People love to hate on California.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I love CA. Wish more people would enough to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    A bit hyperbolic for my taste...
    My thought was that I’ve been reading “California’s a disaster, it isn’t what it used to be, it’s fucked now...” for many, many years now. That was just the latest version.

No one goes there anymore, it’s too crowded... right? That opinion piece acts like all of those issues it brings up aren’t happening all over the place. Sure, some of it is unique to CA but there’s also a reason people like it here.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Exactly. I don’t get the logic about California hate. Supposedly it’s so horrible but the population and economy keep growing. California is far from perfect and isn’t for everyone but the California hate just doesn’t make sense. Plus, some of these articles sound like they rooting for California to fail. I may be not be a fan of other states but I still wish them the best. We are one country, right?

Exactly. I don’t get the logic about California hate. Supposedly it’s so horrible but the population and economy keep growing. California is far from perfect and isn’t for everyone but the California hate just doesn’t make sense. Plus, some of these articles sound like they rooting for California to fail. I may be not be a fan of other states but I still wish them the best. We are one country, right?
    Having lived in CA for 50 years, I have got to say I love the state as in the land, but all the fuckin people and the goofed up government are a bit of a downer at times. However, that doesn't begin to justify the hate I see directed CA way. It is just Rednecks hating on us.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Having lived in CA for 50 years, I have got to say I love the state as in the land, but all the fuckin people and the goofed up government are a bit of a downer at times. However, that doesn't begin to justify the hate I see directed CA way. It is just Rednecks hating on us.
    It all boils down the progressive policies and multitude of people/voters having influence over national policies like immigration reform, marriage definitions. and women's reproductive rights. Rural rednecks are kind of a minority in that regard relative to CA and east coast urban areas.. and they really aren't handling it well now that they are the minority..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Just to be fair, they don't handle it well when they're in the majority, either.

Pretty sure some of the CA hate is simple jealousy, coupled with some holier-than-thou CA 'tude.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It all boils down the progressive policies and multitude of people/voters having influence over national policies like immigration reform, marriage definitions. and women's reproductive rights. Rural rednecks are kind of a minority in that regard relative to CA and east coast urban areas.. and they really aren't handling it well now that they are the minority..
    You do know who CA voted for in 2016 and who won the election, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think he was upset that California has been ahead of the country on these issues. Unfortunately, Washington also decided to copy California’s gridlocked bipartisan government...

I think he was upset that California has been ahead of the country on these issues. Unfortunately, Washington also decided to copy California’s gridlocked bipartisan government...
    CA legislature has a Democratic supermajority, last I looked. Not gridlocked, just not doing much about housing, mass transit, etc.

California is Burning (Again)

CA legislature has a Democratic supermajority, last I looked. Not gridlocked, just not doing much about housing, mass transit, etc.
    You are correct about the supermajority but that still hasn’t stopped the gridlock which I define as not doing much on important issues.

I also have to mention how fragile the supermajority is. Just look at Josh Newman, a Democrat, who was recalled because he voted for the gas tax. I would expect Washington to follow suit with all this division in our country. Why wait until the next election when you can recall?

It also should be mentioned that a Kentucky Democrat could win as a Republican in California. Funny state.

Now if we could do something about these fires and PGE...

CA requires new houses built after 1/1/20 to have solar panels.
    here are some more new laws https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...AAS&artslide=0
    nothing earthshaking but not exactly gridlock, whether you approve of the new laws or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D14D9CD-5785-47A0-8263-0570FE4EB967.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	417.6 KB 
ID:	300769

...more than half of California’s forests are owned by federal agencies, which are tasked with managing them. By contrast, 40% are privately owned by companies, families or Native American tribes, and a mere 3% are owned by state and local agencies.

Can’t cure ignorance ^^^^

Too bad the electoral college doesn't decide who writes federal law and national policies. All the EC does is create a way for the rural minority in the nation inflated voting rights for the Presidential election.

Too bad the electoral college doesn't decide who writes federal law and national policies. All the EC does is create a way for the rural minority in the nation inflated voting rights for the Presidential election.
    Given that the original purpose of the EC was to protect slavery, you can't really expect much from it. Shoulda got rid of it when they got rid of the 3/5 rule.

Given that the original purpose of the EC was to protect slavery, you can't really expect much from it. Shoulda got rid of it when they got rid of the 3/5 rule.
    Amen! I was trying to be nice when saying "rural minority".

^^^You all had to know this was coming right?

This is all because you peasants don't do a good enough job of raking the forests..

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I love CA. Wish more people would enough to stay there.
    Read a statistic that 162,000 a year leave CA and 180,000 are born in CA. Still a net gain.

California is Burning (Again)

Speaking of rural community and politics: this evening at a CA foothill food coop:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2159.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1,002.3 KB 
ID:	300871
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-03-2019 at 07:33 PM.