Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 729
  1. #551
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    11,432
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Shit just got real.


    Jesting aside, this is crazy af. Sister in law's building in Santa Monica was evacuated yesterday. Hoping the Getty Center has some fireproof vaults. Vibes to California mags and friends.
    On the TV they were saying the building was built to be fireproof--it's mostly stone--and there is an air filtration system to protect against smoke. Whether it all works is another question.

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,052
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On the TV they were saying the building was built to be fireproof--it's mostly stone--and there is an air filtration system to protect against smoke. Whether it all works is another question.
    For almost a billion, it should last as long as the Parthenon. I heard the architect Meier lecture just after he got this gig and he referred to the site as the Acropolis...


    Rooms can be pressurized to keep smoke from entering. And a million gallons of water on hand to wet down the lawns. Interesting read: NYT
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,412
    Any of that shit work with no power?
    Live Free or Die

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,571
    I just read the cell towers in CA are not required to have back-up power, ha. So how do you get evac notices when your power is out?

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,358
    cell coverage has been super spotty in my town

    I probably wouldn’t get an evac notice.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Any of that shit work with no power?
    I'm sure the Getty has back up generators that could power a small city.

    That organization has more money than they know what to do with.

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I just read the cell towers in CA are not required to have back-up power, ha. So how do you get evac notices when your power is out?
    CPUC is apparently working on this issue right now. But currently, yeah, that's correct. I think many/most of them do, but not for more than a little while.

    Power at parents house came back on for the first time in several days yesterday late afternoon. And then went down again this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,496
    The cell tower backup power concerns, PSPS, incoming darkness, and forecasted wind event is what lead to the decision to evacuate such a large area in Sonoma county before the power was shutoff over the weekend.

    When we lost our landline during the outage earlier this month, we lost all ability to receive an evacuation notice. We have a network extender for our cell phones. ATT has been taking temporary measures to keep that from happening since then.

    Air quality is starting to get real bad in the north bay.

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,262
    Smoky in SC. Power mostly back on. Only gas station on Mission had a long long line all day Sunday and finally ran out of gas Monday morning.

    Folk been acting like it is the end of times.

    My son is loving the blackouts. Candle lit dinner. Quiet. The purr of a generator. No lights at school. Love that kid.

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    An der Schützenfest
    Posts
    3,390
    Retarded question : Are there any shelters for incidents like total fire over runs?

    I mean during the nucular holocaust there were bunkers and whatnot, but are there any actually feasible systems nowadays?
    Hole in the ground, partitioned concrete tube with airlock and replenishing carbon monoxide scrubbers with a survival estimation of 4hrs?
    Back yard, 10ft deep, 2 part entrance, 10m3 space, silicone seals, CO2 scrubbers.

    This is borderline RaxSkis for steep skiing kind of contemplation but what the heck, I'll run with it.

    Oh, legislation?

    The floggings will continue until morale improves.

  11. #561
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    903
    Design and construction to shelter in place.

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    21,398
    Its deja vu all over again. I am handling this fire season better then the last, but still some PTSD. The east winds (Santa Ana or Diablo depending on location) never bothered me, but I am really on edge now everytime they blow.

    Winds are quiet right now, but they are supposed to blow again tonight.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  13. #563
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Retarded question : Are there any shelters for incidents like total fire over runs?

    I mean during the nucular holocaust there were bunkers and whatnot, but are there any actually feasible systems nowadays?
    Hole in the ground, partitioned concrete tube with airlock and replenishing carbon monoxide scrubbers with a survival estimation of 4hrs?
    Back yard, 10ft deep, 2 part entrance, 10m3 space, silicone seals, CO2 scrubbers.

    This is borderline RaxSkis for steep skiing kind of contemplation but what the heck, I'll run with it.

    Oh, legislation?
    Other than in denser urban areas, if you wanted to do it on the cheap, I’d think you could clear a decent amount of space, cover area with gravel / hard scaping, then put in a rudimentary bunker with some air filters and breathing apparatuses. A scuba tank will last 45-60 minutes at depth, at sea level When not moving, I’d think you could go 2 hrs easy.

    I have a spot on the driveway that is a long ways from anything other than thin grass cut 4” long. After paradise I thought as a last resort (if we can’t exit either the front or back roads) wed grab the scuba tank and respirator and just park the vehicle in that spot and wait it out. Not a situation I ever want to test but better than driving into the dense brush lined road if we question if it’s on fire.

  14. #564
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    1,474
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...ighters-second

    These men and women are doing battle tonight to protect my mom and sister's (and my childhood) home in the Wikiup neighborhood. God speed all you bad asses!
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

  15. #565
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,182
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Its deja vu all over again. I am handling this fire season better then the last, but still some PTSD. The east winds (Santa Ana or Diablo depending on location) never bothered me, but I am really on edge now everytime they blow.

    Winds are quiet right now, but they are supposed to blow again tonight.
    Raymond Chandler wrote about the winds:
    “There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.”
    And I guess that I just don't know

  16. #566
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    12,217
    It seems like many of the fires start from downed power lines. When you factor in all the costs of fighting fires, destroyed buildings, etc, does that not justify the expense of putting many of the lines underground? What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  17. #567
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,117
    Just tossing this out there - PG&E gave out $5 BILLION in dividends instead of fixing power lines.

    Shareholders benefited, and millions of people paid for it in their suffering and property loss.

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,182
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Just tossing this out there - PG&E gave out $5 BILLION in dividends instead of fixing power lines.

    Shareholders benefited, and millions of people paid for it in their suffering and property loss.
    Hmm, someone hates America...
    And I guess that I just don't know

  19. #569
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Hmm, someone hates America...
    Yeah, a federal judge and the CPUC...

    Judge Alsup, who is monitoring PG&E’s from the 2010 San Bruno gas pipeline explosion and fire that killed 8 people and destroyed dozens of homes in my hometown, ordered PG&E to handle these lines and PG&E failed to do it and gave the $5 Billion to shareholders instead.

    Judge Alsup also noted that after the 2010 San Bruno fore, PG&E falsified gas line inspection reports from 2012-2017.

    Read:

    Details about court orders and dividend payouts instead of fire prevention:
    https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ate-enterprise

    Dividends instead of fire prevention:
    https://www.kqed.org/news/11737336/j...trimming-trees

    8-page letter from CPUC telling PG&E what it needs to do with respect to recent and upcoming power outages:
    https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/uploadedFile...2010-14-19.pdf

    Falsification of reports: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/14/67700...regulators-say


    MeadowSkipper - Yeah, you are joking but I had friends lose family members and/or their homes to PG&E’s ongoing malfeasance over the last decade so read the facts and consider why some of us are angry at PG&E before you put a bumper sticker on the discussion.

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,182
    ^It was sarcasm. See, PG&E paid billions to shareholders but boned the... Oh, never mind, I hate explaining jokes. I completely understood. Now, Francis...
    And I guess that I just don't know

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^It was sarcasm. See, PG&E paid billions to shareholders but boned the... Oh, never mind, I hate explaining jokes. I completely understood. Now, Francis...
    Yeah, I knew you were joking but just had another two friends lose their homes...

  22. #572
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,182
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Yeah, I knew you were joking but just had another two friends lose their homes...
    You’re sort of acting like I don’t have or never had skin in the game.

    FYI I had 32 years in the wildfire game, and I’ve lost friends and colleagues, and have seen hundreds of homes lost up close. Sorry for your friends.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  23. #573
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,801
    ^^^ Easy boys. We're friends here and on the same page.

    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I have a spot on the driveway that is a long ways from anything other than thin grass cut 4” long. After paradise I thought as a last resort (if we can’t exit either the front or back roads) wed grab the scuba tank and respirator and just park the vehicle in that spot and wait it out. Not a situation I ever want to test but better than driving into the dense brush lined road if we question if it’s on fire.
    Word. Told spouse that if there was a fire hitting the neighborhood and I wasn't home, to drive the other way on the (presumably jammed) main road out of our hood and adjacent neighborhoods, get to the lake, and park in the middle of one of the huge lots or the boat ramps. Mentioned this to my FF buddy who lives in the next neighborhood, and he said he'd told his spouse the exact same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  24. #574
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,496

    California is Burning (Again)

    We can walk or drive to a lake (or lakebed) from our house, too. It’s all wildland intermix in my area, though.

    Some areas nearby loss landlines again because the ATT generator that was temporarily powering the local “switch station” (my term) started leaking fuel and was turned off (thankfully no incident!).

    Looking at airport data for several airports on the nws site, the wind event near was less severe and shorter in duration than forecasted.

  25. #575
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We can walk or drive to a lake (or lakebed) from our house, too. It’s all wildland intermix in my area, though.

    Some areas nearby loss landlines again because the ATT generator that was temporarily powering the local “switch station” (my term) started leaking fuel and was turned off (thankfully no incident!).

    Looking at airport data for several airports on the nws site, the wind event near was less severe and shorter in duration than forecasted.
    Heard your girl Pascal from Yubanet on Beth Ruyak's show this morning. I guess the NID meeting where they were discussing becoming a distributor was an overflow crowd and everybody was interested in it. Not surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •