Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

California is Burning (Again)

Discuss.

I'll start: King Fire is looking like it isn't going to stop until it hits the Crest. Went from 100 acres on Sunday morning to 3000 that evening to 30000 tonight. 3300 personnel assigned and counting. Two of the three DC-10s.Amazing to me that they haven't reported any structures lost yet. 5% contained. God knows what the total acreage will be when it's done.

Here's a shot of the pyrocumulus that my father took today in Colfax ~30-40 miles away. Reminiscent of last year's Rim Fire.

Boles Fire just ripped through Weed and destroyed over a hundred buildings. Courtney Fire near Bass Lake destroyed a bunch of homes too. Super sad. We need some rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yes you do. The Happy Camp complex is up to 125k acres as well.

Yep. It's actually showering over that area as we speak, do that's nice.

Meadow Fire is still burning, but largely contained, in Little Yosemite Valley. Some spectacular night photos of that one.

Then the fires around Burney and Fall River Mills last month were big.

Silverado Fire is going in Cleveland NF. Not unusual there though. Fire burning at the base of June Mountain right now too.

There's actually another fire that guys jumped on in El Dorado NF today or yesterday called the Irene Fire. High elevation. Damn drought.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Saw those clouds from Sonora yesterday. Quiet here so far. Some folks not so lucky
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

June Mountain is on fire as well. Or is that part of one of the other fires? I can't keep track there's so many.

that shit has blown east and we can see, taste, smell it in the air over here

I think they're catching the June fire.

This is a big bad season. Pretty predictable given last winter's precip and the lack of landscape scale mitigation like prescribed fire and thinning. Plus there are more people living farther out than there were the last big bust. Vibes, and hoping for rain...even though that just postpones the problem.

I flew from Sac to Seattle on tuesday, and flying back to sac tonight. The entire flight was in a light cloud of smoke, and you could see fires all over NCal and Oregon. Tonight is going to be disgusting. If there's enough light, I'll try to get some pictures.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Saw those pryocumulus clouds from reno, where the air quality is damn close to hazardous.
    The king fire went from 35K acres to 70K acres last night. That is fucking hudge.
    I keep hoping I'll get a call to go work ground support...

^^^ Appreciated.

Apparently the King Fire ran 10 miles to the north between 4pm yesterday and 6am this morning. Better measuring after yesterday pegs it at 71,000 acres now. So it grew 50000 acres in a day to day and a half. Nuts.

Northern boundary is now at Hell Hole Reservoir--a bit southwest of Alpine Meadows. Here's the map:
    And the sat photo showing the smoke from yesterday:

I took this yesterday from Contra Costa County:
    And then this one this morning as I was leaving for work:

Gonna be interesting to see if any moisture hits the ground in the fire area.

(Disclaimer: Posting from my phone so no idea how big these images are.)

Jesus fuck, crystal basin was my stomping grounds in HS, sad to see it burn.
    The weed fire is extremely sad, that town was already super depressed with the old mill that was holding on all that was keeping things going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1411055466.704000.jpg 
Views:	1382 
Size:	971.9 KB 
ID:	158337 FYI this was saddlebag lake, east side of Yosemite, last Saturday night. We almost cancelled plans due to the smoke that everyone said was covering the area, but none was seen.
    Obv the nearer you are to these fires the higher the probability of smoke, and wind patterns can change a clear area into a smokey area quickly...Just an FYI in case anyone is planning to head out somewhere, it's not all cough & choke air right now.

California is Burning (Again)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1411055684.891861.jpg 
Views:	1404 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	158338 also - can anyone id the location of this photo?
    I've heard it was bass lake fire, placerville fire and Yosemite fire. I'd love some verification. It's taken from Facebook so it's likely a still from a movie or something dumb.
    EDIT: it's bass lake. Photog's site here: http://www.fluidr.com/photos/liquidmoonlightcom
    Last edited by JAREDS; 09-18-2014 at 10:09 AM.

in case y'all didn't already use this tool:

InciWeb

Inciweb is sweet for sure. Official social media accounts are good too... eg the CalFire PIO Twitter handle.

It's not just raining ash in Truckee any more--it's raining charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Saw those pryocumulus clouds from reno, where the air quality is damn close to hazardous.
    The king fire went from 35K acres to 70K acres last night. That is fucking hudge.
    I keep hoping I'll get a call to go work ground support...
    Have you checked in to make sure your status is available? Sometimes if they throw things to an expanded you can get lost in the shuffle. Then again, sometimes calling to check just pisses people off... Not sure how things run there.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's not just raining ash in Truckee any more--it's raining charcoal.
    If you're being serious about raining chunks it's probably time to go soon if not now.

Gather your important shit, close all your windows, check under your deck and awnings for flammable pine needles and duff and get that shit out of there if you can. If you're on top of all that and you have some time, really wet everything down before you go. Gutters, the brush on the perimeter, the crap under your deck. Soak the shit out of it all. If you have a few key trees you need to fall and you can drop them and get them back away from your structures, now is the time.

Vibes.

He's in Truckee. It's still a ways away and on the other side of 9800 foot peaks. Although official report of spotting THREE miles ahead of the leading edge of the main fire.

Here's a useful map I just found: www.deercreekgis.com/files/king

And another: https://mapsengine.google.com/maps/d...4.kzoGHac5DqbE
    Last edited by LightRanger; 09-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.

El Dorado County Sheriff arrested a 37 YO male for arson yesterday with bail at 10 million. CalFire making the official announcement of cause at 11:30, but it looks like that's what it's going to be. Start was at 6:30 Saturday evening.

CalFire saying $5 mil/day to fight this and they're on pace for a "world-record" for retardant use. More than 400k gallons in the last two days. 210k yesterday.

Found some better MODIS maps that I'll link in a bit.

A Dam on the Rubicon was not such a smart idea after all.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

From NWS: "AS WINDS SHIFT TO THE EAST FROM FRIDAY THROUGH THE
    WEEKEND, SMOKE SHOULD REMAIN WEST OF THE SIERRA CREST."

Should keep fire off the lake and help establish some lines to the east. Hopefully won't spread it back west into the inhabited areas.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

That sure is a big'un.

This site is pretty good, you can look at the wind forecasts
    http://tmappsevents.esri.com/website...1257.705421076