Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    I foresee an uptick in solar panel sales.

Quote Originally Posted by shakyknees View Post
    Thanks for this info; I've been wondering where the smoke in South Lake was coming from; the word I heard was "controlled burn"; today seemed like more smoke than usual from a controlled burn. Sounds like this Caples fire is the culprit. All that matters now is controlling the fire directly upwind of our home, prayers and gratitude to the firefighters.
    I think they tend to prefer using “prescribed burn”, in case it becomes uncontrolled...like this one. They’ve been burning for a few weeks now, but the wind finally came out of the right direction to push the smoke into the basin. They’re slated to burn around 8k acres in that zone, but I think it jumped their intended line over the Silver Fork. Around 750 people and 3 helicopters on it now. Doesn’t seem like there is too much infrastructure in the way. I’m honestly surprised the media and/or people upset with PG&E haven’t latched onto this.

me too

and yes - it got out of prescription
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

At least there were some good souls who help and saved the horses. Too bad there were also POS people who looted the equestrian center (tack I assume).

Can't imagine how hard it was to catch and load those horses. Dangerous for all involved.

40 horses were rescued from a burning ranch in California

(CNN)Forty horses trapped at an equestrian center in Sylmar, California, during the Saddleridge Fire were rescued after a ranch worker reached out for help on social media.

The fire, which started Thursday and quickly spread to more than 7,500 acres, left schools canceled, highways shut down and over 100,000 people scrambling to evacuate.

At the Saddletree Ranch Equestrian Center on Friday, horses were caught in the massive blaze. Surrounded by flames and smoke, the horses nervously ran back and forth as workers tried to wrangle them to safety and extinguish the fire.

Horacio Diaz, a worker on the ranch, told CNN affiliate KCAL that despite their best efforts, the blaze was uncontrollable.

"We had a lot of friends that came through and helped us," Morales told KCAL. "We started getting phone calls and [more] phone calls, and people just started piling up and getting the horses [out]."

Morales said friends and strangers rushed over with trailers and shuttled the horses to safety.
    While the horses and ranch workers made it unscathed, the ranch did not.

The equestrian center lost several thousand dollars worth of property when it was looted during rescue efforts, according to KCAL.

Still, the ranchers are grateful for everyone's safety.

"We want to thank the whole community for helping us out." Diaz told KCAL. "They really came through for us."
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

The cleptos probably thought it was a victimless crime assuming the gear was going to burn to ashes anyway.. and end up as an insurance claim. Some of that might be pretty unique or custom enough to be hard to sell if word's out. I hope they either are caught or guilted in to returning it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Along with the Tesla Battery system, so you just don't care

Run your whole house through a big bank of Bateres.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

the Bear Valley Real Estate office ran with a Goal Zero solar charger and battery system. I’m not sure how it worked. I’ll ask
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yeah. I saw a tweet a couple days ago from a solar salesperson who was super excited to go in to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

No prob. My overall opinion after attending that dialogue was that we're in deep doo doo for the foreseeable future. Things are likely going to get worse before they get better. Hopefully, the human spirit can allow us all to work well together to make the best of it.

To my knowledge Camp Fire was transmission and Butte Fire was distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    stalefish, thanks for sharing that information.

Concerns about transmission line vulnerability is what caused a lot of the extent and length of time for the piss-piss in CA. My recent memory in Nor CA is that several fires were caused by transmission system. Off the top of my head: the initial fire from the Camp Fire and the Butte Fire in Calaveras and Amador Counties.

It’s both.
    No prob. My overall opinion after attending that dialogue was that we're in deep doo doo for the foreseeable future. Things are likely going to get worse before they get better. Hopefully, the human spirit will allow us all to work well together and make the best of it.

To my knowledge Camp Fire was transmission and Butte Fire was distribution.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Having your own stand alone off the grid power doesn't prevent your home from burning to ashes when the entire neighborhood goes up. You'll need plenty of water, pumps and hoses...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Having your own stand alone off the grid power doesn't prevent your home from burning to ashes when the entire neighborhood goes up. You'll need plenty of water, pumps and hoses...
    Right but isn't part of the issue "no power, no water?" Or conversely what if you're not in fire danger but get shut off anyway as part of a larger rolling black out?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Regarding power and water for fire fighting. In my areas there’s a mix of pipe treated pressurized residential water with street hydrants and lots of people on wells. The hydrants and pressure municipal lines run along many main roads. Those lines retained pressure throughout the recent outage, either through gravity feed or pumps with backup generators. For those on wells, there was no well water without back-up power. If we didn’t have backup power for our well, we would have had several bucket filled with water for the toilets and larger bottles for water for cooking and drinking. That much water (and/or water from our well) would have been helpful if there was a small fire on our property, where shovels and rakes would have been the main suppression tools. If there was a larger fire, our well, pressure tank, and storage tank, would have provided limited help. Some people have bigger tanks and high pressure fire suppression hose hook-ups at their homes that could be helpful if they have power. The fire department tells us that they carry pumps that they will drop into a storage tank if they can easily access and remove the lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Both, but especially the latter. Aging infrastructure, and overgrown rights of way. And thirdly climate change.
    I’m sure meadow skipper has seen this. For those interested that have not seen it, here’s the (a?) recent publication related to wildfires in CA and climate change.
    https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2019EF001210

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Plus it's illegal to live off the grid.

I seriously don't understand why a group of terrorists don't get fire savvy and start fires multiple fires in strategic locations on red flag days all across CA. By far the easiest way to inflict damage and so easy to get away with with proper planning. Makes me think there really aren't many terrorists. It won't be long before some motivated, mentally deranged arsonist gets organized. Seems inevitable given the eroding state of our ponerized society.

^the ones that are here get pacified by the mind control CHEMTRAILZ

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Makes me think there really aren't many terrorists.
    Say what? We can't sustain a war on terror with an attitude like that.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Makes me think there really aren't many terrorists.
    Check out the big brain on BGnight, you're a smart motherfucker alright.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-15-2019 at 11:12 AM.

me think there really aren't many terrorists. It won't be long before some motivated, mentally deranged arsonist gets organized. Seems inevitable given the eroding state of our ponerized society.
    I wanna pony!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Plus it's illegal to live off the grid.
    Not true

California is Burning (Again)

I seriously don't understand why a group of terrorists don't get fire savvy and start fires multiple fires in strategic locations on red flag days all across CA. By far the easiest way to inflict damage and so easy to get away with with proper planning. Makes me think there really aren't many terrorists. It won't be long before some motivated, mentally deranged arsonist gets organized. Seems inevitable given the eroding state of our ponerized society.
    Part of terrorist mitigation is not to give them ideas and that’s why things like arson aren’t really talked about. Ditto for suicides on the Golden Gate Bridge. If you look closely, you will find plenty of evidence of mentally deranged people setting fires. One of the most famous and most crazy is John Orr.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leonard_Orr

It should go without saying that the last thing we want to do is to turn this thread into a playbook for arsonists and terrorists.
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-15-2019 at 01:48 AM.

HA !

apparently with the blackouts because the power companies do not want to start more fires; anyone with a solar panel that has not engineered it to their house is without power as the solar panels do not actually power your house, they send energy from the panels to the electrical grid which is of course down; so they're in the dark with everyone else except those knuckle dragging fools that set themselves up with a natural gas tank.

just beautiful.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    HA !

apparently with the blackouts because the power companies do not want to start more fires; anyone with a solar panel that has not engineered it to their house is without power as the solar panels do not actually power your house, they send energy from the panels to the electrical grid which is of course down; so they're in the dark with everyone else except those knuckle dragging fools that set themselves up with a natural gas tank.

just beautiful.
    Ummmm, no. None of that is true. There is a 0% chance that any utility would allow a residential installation to install solar on their property without an automatic transfer switch that cuts their panels off from the grid in the event that grid power is lost. If these ATS's weren't in place, they could never shut down the lines to do maintenance without manually cutting every home off from the circuit. Further, there is additional metering equipment to measure your production that does push back to the grid when it is running, and you bet your ass the utility blessed each and every connection.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Ummmm, no. None of that is true. There is a 0% chance that any utility would allow a residential installation to install solar on their property without an automatic transfer switch that cuts their panels off from the grid in the event that grid power is lost. If these ATS's weren't in place, they could never shut down the lines to do maintenance without manually cutting every home off from the circuit. Further, there is additional metering equipment to measure your production that does push back to the grid when it is running, and you bet your ass the utility blessed each and every connection.
    well, Rush Limbaugh is leading the show with this story; so I guess it's all right wing lies; even though with Rush it is not a national story or in tgr's case, a national lie.

(looks like Rush is getting his ideas from me and i'm running conservative talk; you might want to head to your safe space if true)
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

California is Burning (Again)

There were calls into the local radio station of reports of people in Colfax accidentally backfeeding into the grid from some sort of power generator (probably a real generator without a transfer switch, which is illegal but not uncommon), which can be very dangerous.

Local FB reports of now a huge backlog on propane generator orders.

The state PUC is trying to come down on PG&E.