Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    That diffused light and views that seem to just fade away....amazing how it only takes 100K acres of burning forest to make the morning in Reno feel like a typical day in LA.

A couple of my friends signed up for the IM. They did it anyway, which is kind of nuts. I went for a light hike yesterday with my kids in Incline (which at least started smoke-free) and my chest hurt a little afterward. I couldn't imagine running a marathon, etc. near Squaw, where the smoke seemed to be much denser.

I bet they got first and second place.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    A couple of my friends signed up for the IM. They did it anyway, which is kind of nuts.
    Good for them...

... and maybe bad for them?

today's smoke. darkest: "hazardous". next darkest: "very unhealthy"

I'm working outside in the center of that black hole.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

telemike. I guess you're not doing an Ironman, or else they would have cancelled it. It's really quite hazardous. Are they giving you any PPE or anything? Maybe it will be better if you start early in the morning.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

A little smoke don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    A little smoke don't bother me.
    Dude, PM-2.5 is among the most hazardous inhalants.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

California is Burning (Again)

See my post from this morning.

http://www.capradio.org/news/insight/

Seriously, do you know how much smoke I (and quite a few others here) have eaten over the years. It actually wasn't too bad today, despite the forecast. Thanks though.

most schools in western nevada county are closed tomorrow (Tuesday) due to smoke.

A somber paper relative to what is happening now.

Last nights evening news had a grim forecast for the coming days. Thoughts are with everyone out there, be safe.

Reposting the link from MS early in the thread cause it's a pretty good source.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/

Sounds like they have they have all the significant spot fires NE of the main event taken care of which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Turns out loggers and foresters can take care of the bush better than hippies and lawyers. Alert the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Turns out loggers and foresters can take care of the bush better than hippies and lawyers. Alert the media.
    That's not what it says. HTH. Not that what you think it says is wrong, but your agenda is showing.

Unfortunately the loggers and foresters and hippies and lawyers are all being put down by The Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That's not what it says. HTH. Not that what you think it says is wrong, but your agenda is showing.
    It says that the forests are overgrown and unhealthy. Selective logging, and removal / burning of slash can effectively fix this.
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

The report actually says "science-based ecological restoration of our Sierra Nevada forests must be dramatically increased." Sounds pretty hippy to me.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

It says that the forests are overgrown and unhealthy. Selective logging, and removal / burning of slash can effectively fix this.
    I'm a hippy tree cutter and I agree sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    The report actually says "science-based ecological restoration of our Sierra Nevada forests must be dramatically increased." Sounds pretty hippy to me.
    That is because if you tell Californians that you need to log or their pretty little yuppie cabins will burn and people will die, they will still sue you. What needs to happen is fuel reduction, through a mix of logging and prescribed burns. The public land (mis) managed by the USFS is supposed to be a working forest. Not a neglected pile of firewood as the Sue-erra club would like.

It doesn't say that either. Selective logging and removal/burning slash is part of a multi-layered approach, including prescribed and managed fire along with landscape restoration. Applied and managed fire is, IMO, much more effective than logging, if for no other reasons than you don't need roads to do it and it can be applied to much larger areas than logging. And the real fuel issue comes from unmarketable vegetation - reproduction, shitty fir, brush, etc. - not loggable trees.

Edit to add: and people - throw the people out of the woods, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    today's smoke. darkest: "hazardous". next darkest: "very unhealthy"

Got a link to that smoke map? Bad again last night and this morning. Probably same today and tomorrow. Incoming Wx system should help.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Unfortunately the loggers and foresters and hippies and lawyers are all being put down by The Man.
    #threadwin
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Edit to add: and people - throw the people out of the woods, problem solved.
    Woo-eee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.