Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Shit just got real...

Just got my home insurance bill, premium almost doubled from last year (same policy, no new claims). Guess I should be happy they didn't drop me.
    That’s pretty wild! Are people loosing insurance in your area? There are two Nevada county focused fire insurance FB groups.

My next door neighbors were dropped this fall due to wildfire hazard. Their new premium thru the CA Fair Plan with wraparound coverage to fill the gaps is double their previous premium. They bought their house 7 or 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    That’s pretty wild! Are people loosing insurance in your area?
    I've heard of a few drops but mostly other rate hikes. Our house is 10 years old, built after the 2008 code changes with fireproof windows etc.. We keep our lot clear but Tahoe NF is literally across the street.

Isn’t Sierra summit near Fresno?!

And the answer is yes. They de-energized that transmission line.
    He's talking about Donner Summit. Interesting because just over the hill in Truckee we were fine, because our juice comes from NV.

No change in our insurance, but at this point we only have half a house.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Bump.
    Its smokey here in Tahoe. All the locals are getting what they asked for.

Here are some resources I use to ease boredom at work...
    Federal fires: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ - This will also show fires that started as Calfire and went inter agency
    Calfire: https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/ - This one used to be better, showing fire outlines but not anymore.
    Smoke map and forecasting: https://www.airnow.gov/
    NASA Satellite data: https://firms2.modaps.eosdis.nasa.go...19;@0.0,0.0,3z - This is a neat tool, I haven't quite completely figured out yet.
    This is a cool one I found that shows the fire outside of Nevada City: https://nevcounty.maps.arcgis.com/ap...9dcc865349e72e
    Anyone have any other good ones?

Monster fire complex north of vacaville and fairfiled--125K acres in 24 hours. It shows best in the map in this article
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...k=bignews_main
    Briefly jumped 80 and forced the partial evacuation of Travis AFB. For some reason the Calfire map and report only indicates part of the fire.
    The map in the Bee is from the NIFC site but I can't find it on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Monster fire complex north of vacaville and fairfiled--125K acres in 24 hours. It shows best in the map in this article
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...k=bignews_main
    Briefly jumped 80 and forced the partial evacuation of Travis AFB. For some reason the Calfire map and report only indicates part of the fire.
    The map in the Bee is from the NIFC site but I can't find it on the site.
    Yeah, that one got into something good and blew up today. I'm about 25 miles from it and everything is ashed over. Even got a couple whole leaves size of your palm drifting down from the sky, completely charred. Glad they beat it back across 80, that would be terrible to both Fairfield and Vacaville if it burned between them. Lots of residential there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I believe that for if the one where IC ordered a bunch of ambulances early this morning. I haven’t heard the outcome.

Looks like the LNU complex is active in 5 counties--Lake, Sonoma, Solano, Yolo, and Napa. My question is, after the last few years, what's left to burn in Lake County? Seems like there have been massive fires there every year.

I believe that for if the one where IC ordered a bunch of ambulances early this morning. I haven’t heard the outcome.
    "Wednesday morning two strike teams of ambulances were mobilized in Fresno and Tulare counties in order to assist with the fires in Napa County. The two strike teams of five ambulances each will have a total of 10 paramedics and 10 EMTs with two paramedic supervisors. They were initially sent to Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Vacaville. Edgar Escobedo, spokesman for American Ambulance, said their mission will be to respond and stand-by in the event of large-scale evacuations of medical facilities and to support emergency medical services and alternate care sites."

Looks like the LNU complex is active in 5 counties--Lake, Sonoma, Solano, Yolo, and Napa. My question is, after the last few years, what's left to burn in Lake County? Seems like there have been massive fires there every year.
    Berryessa has seemingly burned every year for the last 5 years. Grass is resilient and manzanita seeds survive fire. Makes sense for these being hot and fast moving fires. The old oaks are fewer and further between now.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    "Wednesday morning two strike teams of ambulances were mobilized in Fresno and Tulare counties in order to assist with the fires in Napa County. The two strike teams of five ambulances each will have a total of 10 paramedics and 10 EMTs with two paramedic supervisors. They were initially sent to Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Vacaville. Edgar Escobedo, spokesman for American Ambulance, said their mission will be to respond and stand-by in the event of large-scale evacuations of medical facilities and to support emergency medical services and alternate care sites."
    Thx!

Big Basin State Park HQ burned

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal fires 8-20-20.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	337715

Cross post from the 2020 Wildfire thread:

I did post fire research in the Sierra Nevada for a handful of summers and observed montane chaparral-- whitethorn, deerbrush, and tobaccobrush in particular-- grow back to 5 ft + height in five years or less. 1st summer postfire easy travel, 2nd summer starting to get thick, 3rd summer and it's a heinous struggle. They thrive on fire and fire thrives on them.

Neat fact on those species (manzanita too): They can burn down to little stubs and still resprout from the roots. Their seeds don't become viable unless they are exposed to temperatures which would kill the roots. (150+ or something like that). They have been known to grow from seed that has been in the seed bank for over 100 years and quite possibly around 300-500 years.

Manzanita survives by burning its neighbors to death.

Busy.

Name:	18D4FA22-9EFD-446A-9B43-11FFCEE871D0.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	335.4 KB 
ID:	337726

glad I’m not there

Gee, might need to reconsider my Sonoma County trip next month. Really feel for those displaced by these fires.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Smoke over Carmel beach

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

California is Burning (Again)

Holy fuck we are completely smoked out in east/central ID. It’s bad

Ash falling the past two days in Santa Cruz. North county evacuated. Smoke is thick. Considering a road trip as school was cancelled for the month.

Name:	IMG_5054.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	935.2 KB 
ID:	337758

Name:	IMG_5055.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	965.4 KB 
ID:	337759

Name:	IMG_5057.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	337760

Name:	IMG_5046.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	814.1 KB 
ID:	337761

Don't come here. It's even worse. (Just kidding--cleared up a fair bit this afternoon, enough for me to do a short bike ride. Can see a few stars tonight. Looks like they're getting a handle on the Loyalton fire which is where our smoke is from, but there's enough burning that I'm sure we'll have some smoke for a couple of months.)

I was looking at places to stay for a few days near Ukiah. There are some bike trails nearby. My wife needs to teach remotely for her school, and I have meal distribution next Monday from my school, but if we have wifi we can be any where and not worry about the kid staying focussed. Oddly, my school is a 1/3 mile from he evacuated line, so who knows if I can be thee Monday to do distribution.

If we went toward you, we would actually be hitting up our friends place in Kirkwood. No wifi there, so wife can escape there next week.

Never mind...
    Twas only a vid.
    Didn't mean to wrinkle panties.
    Last edited by LeeC; 08-21-2020 at 12:47 AM.