Thread: Tubeless issues

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess

Tubeless issues

Been running tubeless for a couple of seasons with Stans Crest rims. The other weekend I tore out a sidewall on my front wheel on some sharp rocks. I put in a boot patch and a tube and finished the ride np. The next day I put on a new tire, a Maxxis Crossmark, which is supposedly a tubeless ready tire. I put a couple ounces of Stan's sealant in, got the tire seated on the bead, give it the shake rattle and roll, went for a ride with no issues and the next day tire is almost flat. I add some more stans through the valve stem and pump it up again, go for a ride and all seems good. A couple days later the tire has lost most of the air. I pump it back up and submerge it in water thinking the stem must be leaking. No leaks around stem, bead or spokes. But what i do notice is tiny bubbles forming around the sidewalls, literally coming right through the rubber. I add more sealant again, but tire still loses air after a few days.

I have always run Maxxis tires and never run into this kind of issue and never ever had to put that much sealant in any tire. Anyone ever run into this? Just a bum tire maybe? Stans sealant no good any more? I bought it earlier this summer, but who knows how long it sat on the shelf in the store.
    Just curious if anyone has had this problem.

Thanks.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels

maxxis quality control has sucked recently or so I've noticed. if the bead seated you're probably ok. I'd pump it hard and lay it flat between 2 saw horses or across the top of a garbage can and flip it every 10-15 with a shake before each flip. u prob have plenty of sealant in there now just slosh it around. another possibility is the rims and/or valve. make sure valve is tight and with my flows 2 laps oof gorilla tape and my flows also have pin holes toward the outer edge of rim inner surface where they pin them before welding or maybe the let heat escape before welding. either way a stupid design that can make tubeless setup a pita

^^try the trash can thing and let the stans rest for some time in the sidewall... if that doesn't do then I'm not sure what to do, if you shake it and hear the sealant around you have plenty for sure! sidewall leaks are common at the start but strange after a couple of rides though, pump it up, let it rest on on side and then the other

try another new tire, If that holes, then the crossmark is the issue. If it goes flat again, its the rim thats the issue (try new rim tape, valve core tight)

Stans rims and maxxis tires tubeless have issues frequently. It's not maxxis quality control, they make 80% of the other tires you ride anyway. Maxxis tires work on almost every other rim, and stans rims work.......I don't know......I guess they probably work with something. It's not maxxis though. Tires are easy. Wheels are a hassle. Just buy a different tire brand if you're going to keep those wheels.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Keep current wheels and tires, and use tubes?

I'm sure it's the tire. Stem is tight. When I submerged it in water I saw no leaks other than tiny bubbles forming on the sidewalls. In the past I used Maxxis Icons and Ardents, they worked flawlessly. It seems to be sealing better now at least it takes a couple days to lose air now. But I will try the trash can thing.
    Thanks guys.

When my buddy has this problem his usual fix is to get a nu bike.
    watch out for snakes

You guys suck at reading. No one addressed his issue. The bead and valve stem are fine, the air is bleding right through the tire sidewall.

OP, does it say "TR" on it? You say it's tubeless ready so I assume so. These new Maxxis tubeless ready tires are much better for running tubeless especially in a real lightweight tire. Real lightweight tires generally kinda suck for tubeless otherwise, but they'll work. IME they'll take a week or so or even longer for all the pores in the rubber to seal up. This is normal. Keep pumping it up and shaking the Stan's around and riding it. It'll seal eventually. If not, try a different tire, preferably a tubeless ready one.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

^^^ yup... took about a month to seal my maxxis advantages

Yes definitely tr Tubeless ready. This is the first time I had an issue sealing a tire. Every tire I have ran so far sealed itself almost immediately. I am trash canning it right now. I am thinking it is a Quality control issue with Maxxis..... I think after I burn up my Maxxis stock (3 more tires) ( one more crossmax and 2 Ignighters) I will try some other brands.. Thanks guys!

Since it's tubeless ready and it doesn't hold air you might be able to warranty it.

I don't think it would hurt to re-do the tape. If you've been riding the same tape for three years with multiple tire changes, odds are there is a little gap pulled up somewhere and sealant does not play nice with the tape adhesive, it's just going to get worse. The only semi-chronic tubeless problems I've ever had have been old tape related.
    Get some 1" Gorilla Tape and re-tape. Gorilla tape will also build up the rim bed a bit which will help the tire seal better too. I've run and set up lots of Maxxis tires on Stan's rims without issue, so I disagree with Woo in that regard, but ymmv.

Me too, I've been on Stan's with various Maxxis tires for several seasons with no issues whatsoever. Also know A LOT of other people with the same results.

edit: Though KW's not the first person I've heard of with problems, never seen it personally.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 09-15-2014 at 12:09 PM.

I recently heard that it can help if you clean out the inside of the tire first. Apparently residue from the molds can prevent the sealant from sticking to the inside of the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    never seen it personally.
    It's usually much more of an audio cue when it happens. Followed by thoughts of who is firing a shotgun at you.

Of course the spooge visual all over your buddy's back after said audio cue is equally, if not more rewarding.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Tubeless issues

Just went through the same thing with a set of neo motos. Sealed fine the first time using the methods described above. After a couple of months they weren't holding air. Tried Stan's through the valve stem and then riding and got the same thing you're getting, it bubbled through the sidewall. I pulled the bead, added about 3 oz of Stan's and reset the tire. I shook and turned the tire regularly. Took about 30 hours but they sealed fine. I know add Stan's more frequently to head off the problems.

I thought it was well-established by The Florida Midget that if you ride Stan's rims + Maxxis tires and don't lose a tire regularly, you suck at riding.

You infidels need to take The Gospel of The Florida Midget more literally, it's truly the Word of Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah(d). If The Florida Midget says something is so, then it is so, no quarrels brooked and no truck with disagreement otherwise.

And this, of course, also suggests that the ONLY cornering style/technique permissible for True Acolytes of the Florida Midget is where you try desperately to shear that tire off the rim, and put maximal stress on the bike and its components. Real Men (TM; registered by Kidwoo Micro Enterprises) abuse the fuck out of their bike like they beat their women.

Whereas a repressed homosexual in his 50s in a cowboy state who obsesses over people on the internet is always a source of brilliant insight.

Will you just hurry up and fuck a dude and get this over with? You need to abandon this fantasy of me licking your kneecaps. At least before you buy me a drink.

In the meantime I can discuss three friends of mine with stans flows who couldn't even keep and ardent, dhfs or highrollers on their rims, regardless of tape layers. But the subtlety of that not even occurring on my bikes will of course continue to escape you.

repressed XY+XY is what you see in the mirror, little man

keep defending your Online Hero status, megalomaniac!

because all the knuckledragging "insider bros" think you're funny and a great writer, you ARE one. just like the 50 IQ wizards of mirth think Dane Cook is a comic genius.

so it wasn't the quality control of those hr2's and minions that made them spin round my 729's so ez. it was my Xtreme radness. sweet. X

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    so it wasn't the quality control of those hr2's and minions that made them spin round my 729's so ez. it was my Xtreme radness. sweet. X
    I think you're supposed to put air in them.

shit. brb. still X though right?

Crossmarks can weep a little through the sidewalls even in the TR version. Particularly with the non-EXO casing. Keep at it with the pump+shake+lie flat cycle and they should eventually seal up. Or get the UST version instead.

I've been running a TR Crossmark (29x2.1) on the rear with a Crest rim for the past 500 miles or so. After the initial setup they've been fine - no burps, no torn sidewalls, holds air for a week or more. Not the grippiest tire but they're light and roll well.

have you tried wiping down your fork?