Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    That's why parkites are up in arms.
    I do get that. At the same time, last winter I showed a few unknown random Tahoe people I met on a chair lift never to be seen again my private stashes at Vail and BC, as flat as they may be. They were very appreciative.

I just look for the silver linings and I'm happy to get to go check out a place that's a bit closer than Tahoe. The place sounds similar to Basin, so I understand the locals vibe. But I'm sure with the crappy season in Tahoe last year we dealt with extra people in the lift line in CO because of it. Oh well. I still had fun.

The onward march of Vail has benefits and disadvantages, I try to stay focused on the merits.

Honestly after a year working at a ski instructor at a resort with very limited beginner/intermediate terrain I realize the commercial value of a flat ski resort.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

^^^that there is bullshit, nothing at pcmr is over 45 degrees.... The steepest slope at Alta is 48 degrees minus the west face of the castle which rarely opens.
    Wahevea you say Brutah...........
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^that there is bullshit, nothing at pcmr is over 45 degrees.... The steepest slope at Alta is 48 degrees minus the west face of the castle which rarely opens.

That being said, as someone that grew up in pc, the reason locals are up in arms over the loss of pcmr to Vail is that's the home/local resort. Every kid had a pass there growing up, that's the place there are the season ending parties not the can or DV, pcmr is where the annual xmas and easter martini parties are. Shit my first kiss was on pay day night skiing. Its the ski area that saved the town, it precedes DV and the can, there wouldnt be those other resorts without pcmr. Those people that call themselves locals but never spend time at pcmr miss the point. A ski area isn't all about the terrain, sometimes its about the lift mechanic you've known since you were a kid, the ski patroller that busted you years ago for throwing a 3 off a cat track but now buys you a beer every time he sees you at the bar, the shop tech that's worked magic on your boots since you were a little shit ski racer.... Sure the can has better BC access but pcmr is the lifeline of that town, it has the nostalgia. Many people have worked there forever and now will probably lose their jobs eventually because that's how Vail runs things. That's why parkites are up in arms.
    I get all that, but it was already owned by the dipshits who own Killington. I don't really care that it is now owned by the dipshits who own Vail. It's not like the previous ownership was Dave McCoy or a non-profit like Bridger or a co-op like Mad River Glen. Shop techs and lifties aren't getting arbitrarily canned: they certainly haven't at Canyons.

That being said, as someone that grew up in pc, the reason locals are up in arms over the loss of pcmr to Vail is that's the home/local resort. Every kid had a pass there growing up, that's the place there are the season ending parties not the can or DV, pcmr is where the annual xmas and easter martini parties are. Shit my first kiss was on pay day night skiing. Its the ski area that saved the town, it precedes DV and the can, there wouldnt be those other resorts without pcmr. Those people that call themselves locals but never spend time at pcmr miss the point. A ski area isn't all about the terrain, sometimes its about the lift mechanic you've known since you were a kid, the ski patroller that busted you years ago for throwing a 3 off a cat track but now buys you a beer every time he sees you at the bar, the shop tech that's worked magic on your boots since you were a little shit ski racer.... Sure the can has better BC access but pcmr is the lifeline of that town, it has the nostalgia. Many people have worked there forever and now will probably lose their jobs eventually because that's how Vail runs things. That's why parkites are up in arms.
    What the fuck are you griping about. It's a business, it's there to make money regardless of who owns it. They are still going to need all the same positions that they did last year, in fact from what I've seen with Vail they'll probably hire even more. Those guys seem to have employees all over the place. Furthermore they all seem to like working for Vail. And I'm sure all your parties will still be there, it's not like Vail has an 8:00 curfew.

I used to hate on Vail but after a few years of buying thier passes I'm actually starting to come around to them. They know how to run a resort. Park city is already a rich tourist destination so nothing will really change there. You'll save about $500 a year on your pass though, think of it as Vail buying you a new pair of skis each year.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Never have skied PC...worth a day if I'm in Utard?
    yea if you're into long flat runs crowed with other novice skiers, which I'm sure you are. Did you see the post on page 1 from the guy who said he just bought passes there for himself and his 3 and 5 year olds? Nuff said.

A lame gayass resort just got lamer and gayer.

And it's Utardia dumbass not Utard.
    RAWG =

I like Park city. Skied there alot in the late 70's. Jupiter Bowl and McConkey's are nice. Are there alot of interrmediates? Sure. Just like most resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post

The onward march of Vail has benefits and disadvantages, I try to stay focused on the merits.
    I'm all for looking on the bright side of life, and despite some of my online spouting I generally do that. Be careful not to confuse being positive with sticking your head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    What the fuck are you griping about. It's a business, it's there to make money regardless of who owns it. They are still going to need all the same positions that they did last year, in fact from what I've seen with Vail they'll probably hire even more. Those guys seem to have employees all over the place. Furthermore they all seem to like working for Vail. And I'm sure all your parties will still be there, it's not like Vail has an 8:00 curfew.

I used to hate on Vail but after a few years of buying thier passes I'm actually starting to come around to them. They know how to run a resort. Park city is already a rich tourist destination so nothing will really change there. You'll save about $500 a year on your pass though, think of it as Vail buying you a new pair of skis each year.
    Great breakdown of a classic example of taking the short view.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Honestly after a year working at a ski instructor at a resort with very limited beginner/intermediate terrain I realize the commercial value of a flat ski resort.
    so does havin to climb back up the bunnyhill to mitten fetch count as both a ski day and touring vert?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Looked for the "like" button on ^^^^ that one Dibs. You should come around sometime.

be up at the park silly market teachin the youngens to fling flies this afternoon off 7th i think
    you still gots the silver pass
    we should ski this winter
    but not pc it was epically meh before the giant douche aquired the turd sammie
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You should all quit your bitching, complaints and put downs.

Try facing the possibility of going from 2 local ski hills to only one.

Nothing is certain but change is.
    watch out for snakes

Hey, if you have little kids it's a perfect hill. Tons of mellow groomers - and you can park right next to first time to minimize the parking lot struggle.

Otherwise? Meh

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Oh, they refunded my cash and we bought epic passes. Vail just bought me a shit ton of days at alta/bird

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

actually pcmr was my utah introduction
    hiking out to mckonkies pre lift w/ my dad the ist real inbounds trek
    layin down high speed steinie stem christies on the k2 612 mids and doin a eagle or daffy off the cat track on silver queen
    mogul ass whoppins on the frontside
    and a fuck this shit i need to move here run down whatever that stuff skiers right of the town lift when the skiin of the untracked pow finally clicked
    lookin over to tracks on pine cone ridge wonderin how the hell did those guys get there. will i ever do that
    5 underage highschool bros w/ minbootles scattered all over steeps
    waterfalls ftw
    convincin the squeeze who would become my soulmate spanser she could ski king con and
    a happy endin gondi ride fore the 6bangin nonesense
    fuck yeah i may goodhumoredly give that place crap but
    fkna i luv that place for what it is and what it did to me

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    fkna i luv that place for what it is and what it did to me

QFT! Good stuff SFB. I moved there from Indiana, 1984/85, year of the deep. I honestly thought it always snowed that much.

I still remember getting an early up Ski Team double and then over to King Con on a 14" day and finally getting the feel for what skiing powder was all about.

Watching the patrol set off Pine Cone Bowl with a single and it breaking on poacher tracks and running into the trees.

And then there were the people. Larry the Legend, PJ, Danger Dan, Makoff and so many others.

I helped to clear and cut Quittin Time and Creole when the Town Lift when in.

It was a good 8 years.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    so does havin to climb back up the bunnyhill to mitten fetch count as both a ski day and touring vert?
    no

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

PC is like a slice of Colorado mountain town in Utah. It's a cool place to hang out in and even though I haven't skied there I bet there is some awesome tree skiing on powder days. Sure LCC and BCC have better skiing but they don't have a sweet town with lifts right out of town.

So with all of the hubbub I didn't realize they had added Canyons too. Was that on last year? I got confused because the Brighton isn't Utah, it's Mt. Brighton in like MN or MI so I thought Utah didn't have anything on...

Canyons any better than Park City?

Talisker, the owner of The Canyons leased it Vail to operate, five (?) 50 years renewable leases. As part of this Vail took over the lawsuit against PCMR. My understanding is Talisker kept the real estate operations.

The Canyons has the lowest elevation and many complain that lift placement has more to do with servicing the homes rather than where they would make the most sense for skiing.

$182 million. Doesn't that seem very low?

I have never been to PCMR though so I could be wrong...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    $182 million. Doesn't that seem very low?

I have never been to PCMR though so I could be wrong...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    This was just for the small parcel of land, the base area, and the water rights. Vail/Talisker already own the upper mtn. Seems actually crazy pricey to me.

As mentioned in this or another related thread..this could be another ASC deal..MTN is WAY big now, seems a bit overleveraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    So with all of the hubbub I didn't realize they had added Canyons too. Was that on last year? I got confused because the Brighton isn't Utah, it's Mt. Brighton in like MN or MI so I thought Utah didn't have anything on...

Canyons any better than Park City?
    I slightly prefer the advanced terrain and the snow at the top of Canyons to the advanced terrain and snow at the top of PCMR. Either one is great on a pow day. The backcountry access at Canyons is also nice if you know what you're doing; PCMR doesn't give access to backcountry travel. But, as others have pointed out, the layout of Canyons means you spend a lot of time skiing a handful of crowded blue groomers to transport yourself to places with actual good skiing.

The lower portions of either mountain have had crap for snow for the past few years. This is more disappointing at Canyons because some of the best steep-ish sustained fall-line terrain is on the lower mountain and you have to take the white ribbon of death down or download the gondi rather than ski it. At PCMR, that kind of low tide just means that there are some fun tree shots that aren't filled in enough.

For park and pipe, both resorts do a great job. PCMR's efforts are currently the better of the two.

At busy times, parts of either resort are as much of a tourist horde junk show as I've ever seen in the West. But I haven't been to Summit County, CO or Tahoe in a long time. Depending on who you talk to, they'll tell you that those areas are even more overrun with tourons - which shocks and horrifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I heard as part of the deal, Vail Resorts is also exporting some of the I-70 traffic over to Parley's Canyon in SLC. Win-win for everyone!
    ^^^^^Love this idea^^^^^

The mo-mo's are gonna be bullshit when the install the gondi from pcmr to vail. Transporting real beer and legal weed via gondi will be pretty cool.