Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2014 Colorado fall colors trip timing help

I have some free time to drive around Colorado coming up soon.I tried the web for suggestions on timing,but not much there yet.Any predictions for peak time in the mountains? I would rather be a bit early than late.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    I have some free time to drive around Colorado coming up soon.I tried the web for suggestions on timing,but not much there yet.Any predictions for peak time in the mountains? I would rather be a bit early than late.
    I usually schedule my fall Mtb trip for the 3rd weekend in September.
    Cold nights and warm days next week should make it pop.
    Plus Ruggerfest is always fun!

Looking like it may be a but earlier than usual this year. Check this thread for some good info: http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44787
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

it will be earlier than last year, Kenosha pass turning now. First bit of color down here at 9000 now.

I was there once in the fall, and colors were awesome on about 9/16-9/21. Drove from Boulder to summit county by way of Rocky Mountain park.The Vail valley was the best. Memorable ride on a road bike up and over the Vail pass on a bluebird day.

Well up here in the Icebox, aspens are turning down at river level. So with that and the snow on the peaks I can see outside the window, I'd say now! Yellow aspens are cool and all but this ain't no northern VT. I'd plan your vacation around what you want to do and see. If you get the foliage, bonus.

They are starting to change in the tetons.. Id say next week would be good for Colorado.

Just starting to turn here in the roaring fork valley, I'd say peak is only 2 weeks away for the higher aspen stands.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Well up here in the Icebox, aspens are turning down at river level. So with that and the snow on the peaks I can see outside the window, I'd say now! Yellow aspens are cool and all but this ain't no northern VT. I'd plan your vacation around what you want to do and see. If you get the foliage, bonus.
    This. Foliage in Co is a joke compared to the north east. Weather is awesome though - or I should say it will be, when it stops raining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    This. Foliage in Co is a joke compared to the north east. Weather is awesome though - or I should say it will be, when it stops raining.
    Wrong... Its all about Arizona!

http://arizonahighways.wordpress.com...e-fall-leaves/
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    It is not going to stop.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Oh yes it is. It's gonna quit raining and start snowing soon!!!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

The 20th-28th is typically peak time for fall colors in Colorado. Kebler Pass is a must see.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Hayduke will have not truly lived unless he checks out the San Juan Skyway during peak aspen season. They're just starting and usually peak mid to late September.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Brush has already turned and the aspens are starting to yellowerize on the valley floor here in Eagle County. So with that in mind, the early 3rd week of Sept. would be about mindblowing as it gets (which is what it is).
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Stoked as well. Heading to Jackson for a week or so, but considering heading to Aspen for the 4 Pass Loop around the 22nd. I also heard that because we've had SO much precip, the colors keep be even better than normal. Hopefully that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Stoked as well. Heading to Jackson for a week or so, but considering heading to Aspen for the 4 Pass Loop around the 22nd. I also heard that because we've had SO much precip, the colors keep be even better than normal. Hopefully that's true.
    4 pass loop is a nice day hike.

I'm at 10k on Mt Evans & it's full on already. Great color with all the rain we had this summer.
    ....and michigan still sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If your name happens to be Kilian Jornet.

Aspens aside, the weather looks to be absolutely perfect for the foreseeable future in the mountains. Put on your bright colors and regulate your dog as killin' shit season is in full swing. Come get your hike, bike, and fish on with nobody around.

Edit: holy crap. Look at the I-70 cams going up in elevation. Mt. Vernon = snow. Tunnel = clear. I can't say that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Didn't make the backpack trip but considering it for a day hike/trail run this weekend, even though I'm not KJ. Sounds like snow level is probably down to around 9-10k...anyone have an idea of how much snow would be up on the passes? Hoping it wouldn't be too significant amount to slow down the run. Colors look like they'd be pretty good: http://aspen.roundshot.ch/power-of-four

played in an ace race on saturday up at ghost town, colors were great, fantastic weather.
    http://http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2668

Shit be poppin in asppen. It is also snowing.

Crazy how quickly a windy snow storm will knock the color off the slopes this time of year. Several years back in late September I climbed Mt Elbert as an overnight. Set up camp at treeline after hiking up a fantastic trail that was in full autumn color. That night a good little storm ripped through with lots of wind and a decent sprinkling of snow with temps dipping into the low teens. Then next day after I summited and went down the trail looked like someone had flipped a switch and turned the color off. The only yellows and reds around were the leaves that had accumulated on the trail overnight.