Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Eh, let him vent. Maybe it's good for him and keeps him from picking up a gun.
    Also
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

the desperate tries to recoup the internet brand of Online Expert look like a dogpaddle in choppy seas while wearing a 15lb waist weight belt, but keep up the same old comic genius trick of projecting and accusing instead of accepting your limitations and acknowledging the fakery of your online persona

overheard at Pattee Cyn pkg lot:

"Shit, look at this beetfaced guy, I swear he's about to bust the Circle of Willis and go tango uniform."

"And that's just from pedaling 3/4 mile on a 4% grade. Who is this corpse-in-waiting?"

"I heard that's the guy who posts on TGR as stuckathuntermtn."

"No shit? But online he seems so badass, like a core bro with mad steeze and fitness like a pro roadie."

"Well, you know how it is. The internet lets everyone play at whatever they wish they were."

"He should use the internet to call for an ambulance before we have to watch someone die right here in the parking lot."

Holy Shit I can't believe I'm going to try and voice an opinion in this thread, but here it goes

how many of you fatty haters have been fat? and laziness, sloth poor eating is not the only reason to be overweight/fat. I had to be on high dose steroids dexamtheasone not the body building juice monkey kind to control brain swelling and paralyzing headaches post surgery. I gained nearly 60lbs in a matter of months, despite doing my best to control eating and working out every day. I had stretch marks like a pregnant woman I gained so fast. and there was literally nothing I could do about it. I got poked fun about many times about from people who didn't know when I'd talk about skiing or biking and they snicker about my weight. don't think any personal pokes have hurt more then that. I know there are others on the board that have dealt with this too. I also live in a town where fitness is put on a pedestal and it got to the point I was embarrassed to leave the house. I am off now and back down to pre surgery weight. through lots of exercise no sugar and portion control. of course being off the roids was the biggest help but I modified my whole diet before I even came off.

just asking people to not be so quick to judge people about thier weight. sometimes it's not what you think. and can hurt more then you'd expect.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I'm not "hating" anyone or anything here. shame that when you speak candidly about basic human metabolic facts, a reader can misconstrue that as "hate." but that is Internet Reality circa 2014 anyone who says something you don't like should automatically be accused of "hating" and please rush to add additional qualifiers such as misogynist, homophobe, reactionary, teatard, et cetera.

for the exceedingly rare case of involuntary fatness there's no "hate" or anything like that coming from my end of the chatter.

most of what idly bantering people consider involuntary fatness is no such thing, though. most fat people aren't suffering from a rare genetic malady that causes them to pack on water weight or be inable to process what they ingest, and/or aren't on some strange Rx regimen that causes the water buildup. besides, water bloat is one of the easiest weights to shed.

I think cases like yours (gripen) are assumed and the discussion is more about those without such an explanation, which would be the majority of obese Americans. But yes, people do just automatically assume that someone is lazy because it's so often the case.

As for the sugar part, while yes it all comes down to energy in, energy out, the sugar angle is legit because it's consumption is less satisfying and causes a craving for more (just like highly salted foods). Which is why the US making foods with fat the enemy was such a mistake, since so much of that fat was replaced with sugar (and carbs) and then even more calories were consumed.

Time had a good article on this recently. Can't find the full article online, just some video bullshit: http://time.com/2863227/ending-the-war-on-fat/

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I'm not "hating" anyone or anything here. shame that when you speak candidly about basic human metabolic facts, a reader can misconstrue that as "hate." but that is Internet Reality circa 2014 anyone who says something you don't like should automatically be accused of "hating" and please rush to add additional qualifiers such as misogynist, homophobe, reactionary, teatard, et cetera.

for the exceedingly rare case of involuntary fatness there's no "hate" or anything like that coming from my end of the chatter.

most of what idly bantering people consider involuntary fatness is no such thing, though. most fat people aren't suffering from a rare genetic malady that causes them to pack on water weight or be inable to process what they ingest, and/or aren't on some strange Rx regimen that causes the water buildup. besides, water bloat is one of the easiest weights to shed.
    I was just asking people to think a bit before they judge, perhaps my use of the word hater was in error on my part. I will honestly admit I didn't read your highlighted section either or missed it the first time I read through. my apologies.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

No, I don't think it was that harsh at all. Blaming "laziness" and "ignorance" ignores the very point of this thread...in three decades we have seen a 300% increase in obesity. Were we all more intelligent and hard working then? Or is this thread full of ignorance?
    Living vicariously through myself.

spook Guest
    i thought cancer made you skinny

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    No, I don't think it was that harsh at all. Blaming "laziness" and "ignorance" ignores the very point of this thread...in three decades we have seen a 300% increase in obesity. Were we all more intelligent and hard working then? Or is this thread full of ignorance?
    passive-aggressive, so hot right now

people are more sedentary now than 30 yrs ago. BY CHOICE. you'd like to blame some amorphous concept floating out there in the ether, though. so PC of you. personal responsibility and will are negligible, what we need is a scapegoat that we can use for political snipes issued toward our enemies, cultural and otherwise!

by the way: ignorance =/= less intelligent; ignorance is the state resulting from the act or practice of ignoring some thing or things. you can have a 164 on the Stanford-Binet and be ignorant of many things. you can have a 97 on the S-B and be well-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i thought cancer made you skinny
    and chancre makes you (trash-)binny (hookup-wise)

hell of a way to shed the plumbus, though
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 09-10-2014 at 02:45 PM.

I looked away for a few hours and this thread went to shit. Apparently this is the new polyasshat

yeah, the title of this subforum -- The Padded Room -- suggests that it's all about ivory tower faculty members politely engaged in a formal discussion with reverence for all viewpoints, however ill-considered or poorly-presented.

I love the EpicSki-ification of TGR forums. Maybe we can get Phil and Trish to come over here and IRONCLAW! moderate things?

This was sorta the original intent of the thread

Creaky. Are you fat? I feel like this thread is really pissing you off

^no one in the sir mix a lot video would make the cut in today's jiggle-centric world.

I was hoping for more "denny's across the country" reviews from benny...

Well I think we are all a bit more athletically motivated here, so that probably guides our thinking a lot. Being fat hurts the fun factor with our sports.

That being said, 99% of the country doesn't give a shit about being able to ski 20k vert in a day, earning their turns, or just being able to run a 5k without puking. There is no motivation to actually be fit, when all they do is drive around, sit in a chair at work all day, then come home and watch TV. My parents and sisters are just this way, and frankly, that's their prerogative.

There are things that make them this way also. Growing up in a blue collar family, eating well is more expensive, this is a fact. Sure you can argue rice and beans all day, but noone wants to eat rice and beans all day unless they are physically forced to.

With two working adults and kids in a household its not really conceivable to home cook 3 squares a day, anyone who isnt bullshiting knows this is true. Maybe a stay at home parent can, but no way no how all the stars align 365 days in a row for the average family to do that.

So you are limited by price and time. Healthy foods are great to strive for, but in the real world it isn't going to happen.

How do you fix it? I'm not sure you can without going super isolationist and bringing everything back home to the US (to support one income households again), which is never going to happen.

Also, life expectancy is increasing (despite all our shitty foods and lack of working out) far quicker on medical advances which zaps any ounce of motivation. Life expectancy is increasing by something like 2 hours a day, every day. Now try and motivate a fatty to work out then. Wish that study never made the news.

All of this is on top of the fact that salt, sugar, and fats are the tastiest of things. Anyone who says otherwise is a laying blowhard. Good luck giving up all the good stuff, nationwide.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Creaky. Are you fat? I feel like this thread is really pissing you off
    with that kind of inaccuracy in your feelings, I hope you don't read by Braille technique

this thread amuses me, though apparently several of you ...ummm... feel that I'm angry.

I wonder what level of hubris is required to convince yourself that you can plumb someone else's feelings/emotions/beliefs merely based on reading that person's internet comments. is it a high level? an exemplary level?

I'd try to guess your present emotional state, but I'm not that arrogant nor that deluded.

Adiron Rider's comment reads like a Glenn Greenwald esssay. Easy targets hit, obvious problems listed, and a general avoidance of anything like informative analysis otherwise. From there it starts reading like a Tom Friedman essay: weird broadbrush conclusions and some demonizing of people/things with questionable culpability. To make it a real winning entry, it's written mostly in cliche. Like a shitty top 40 song's lyrics.

I often wonder if the difference between Yurp and NA obesity also has something to do in the manner and timing that we have our meals, and not just the content of those meals. Having the largest meal of the day before or just at noon vs. a big meal late in the evening or at night, and the associated metabolism that goes with digesting and processing of caloric intake at these different times. Certainly our current workplace scheduled play into when we eat our meals, which is certainly different from the agrarian/rural settings I am familiar with.
    No idea of the science of such, and would be interested in the thought of the collective on that.

Will somebody please get this guy a snickers... Oh whoops.

Just trying to have a little fun. Seeing that there's no snow here yet.

I'm only having fun myself, but if your fun depends on your belief that I'm angry, go on with that belief. It must be a lot of fun to be so wrong!

with that kind of inaccuracy in your feelings, I hope you don't read by Braille technique
    You're dumb as a rock. And you suck at the writing. A lot.

old news, I've been hearing that since kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I often wonder if the difference between Yurp and NA obesity also has something to do in the manner and timing that we have our meals, and not just the content of those meals. Having the largest meal of the day before or just at noon vs. a big meal late in the evening or at night, and the associated metabolism that goes with digesting and processing of caloric intake at these different times. Certainly our current workplace scheduled play into when we eat our meals, which is certainly different from the agrarian/rural settings I am familiar with.
    No idea of the science of such, and would be interested in the thought of the collective on that.

The time that you eat during the day has zero influence on metabolism.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit, a healthy level would be between 500 to 800 calories a day. Want to gain muscle mass. eat at a calorie surplus and lift. It doesnt matter if you eat all those calories at the beginning of the day or right before bed.

So I came to an inevitable conclusion this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    The time that you eat during the day has zero influence on metabolism.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit, a healthy level would be between 500 to 800 calories a day. Want to gain muscle mass. eat at a calorie surplus and lift. It doesnt matter if you eat all those calories at the beginning of the day or right before bed.
    Actually, I was thinking that it was the opposite, that the metabolism at the time you ate the meal (and immediately after) would impact the manner in which the calories were allocated (burned, stored, whatever). I would suspect it would be hard to isolate the influence as those lifestyles typically burn more calories anyways, but anecdotally I've experienced less weight gain when the majority of my calories were consumed early in the day vs. those times when my lifestyle dictated that I ate more in the evening, even though my activity levels were reasonable consistent. But again, I haven't read anything to properly support that assumption.

oh come on now

deluded ignorami have a lock on myths

chocolate gives you acne, eating before bedtime makes you fatter, sipping your beer through a Krazy Straw gets you 5x drunker 10x faster, and you ladies can get pregnant sitting on a toilet seat in the bad part of town.

this thread amuses me, though apparently several of you ...ummm... feel that I'm angry.

I wonder what level of hubris is required to convince yourself that you can plumb someone else's feelings/emotions/beliefs merely based on reading that person's internet comments. is it a high level? an exemplary level?

I'd try to guess your present emotional state, but I'm not that arrogant nor that deluded.

Adiron Rider's comment reads like a Glenn Greenwald esssay. Easy targets hit, obvious problems listed, and a general avoidance of anything like informative analysis otherwise. From there it starts reading like a Tom Friedman essay: weird broadbrush conclusions and some demonizing of people/things with questionable culpability. To make it a real winning entry, it's written mostly in cliche. Like a shitty top 40 song's lyrics.
    All style and no substance, thats the TGR way. Get with the program.
    Live Free or Die