Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i really doubt "most" are getting passes for free

or, is my weekend warrior showing?
    Heh, both.

That's cheap women & free gear, sister bob.

148 days on snow, all inbounds. Pass and app keep track for me. Things got to be a little silly this year when I was counting the days I didn't go out. ~80 days teaching and I almost always do a free run or 5 on the slooow days. Got paid to ride pow more days this year than ever before.

3, 9, trying to be a 4. Only missed one season of my adult life due to a move and poor financial planning. Making up for it now.

I proform shit and still end up spending a good amount. Call it $1000/year on gear. Big fan of CO Ski Country reciprocity, trying to hit some different places this year (SW CO maybe?).

Stickers: love em. None on the car, sweet die cuts on the helmet and board(s), others go on water bottle, travel mug, tool box and tuning box.
    Last edited by BigHerm; 09-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.

alot, alot

Thanksgiving to mid April is how many days? 143 days Aspen had open lift served, I guess they stayed open longer, a few extra weekends? So you skied every day they were open, but yet skiing is your job, which means your skiing for someone else and not for yourself, does that count?

I personally wouldn't count teaching days as a day of skiing, even if you get a free run. If I got 5 runs... yeah, I'd probably count that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I personally wouldn't count teaching days as a day of skiing, even if you get a free run.

If it doesn't require 16 DIN is it really skiing anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I said days on snow. Patrollers were included in the OP rundown. Not trying to flex here. Sure it would have been awesome to have >100 freeride days, but this is how I make my living. Several of those days were VI guiding for a wounded Vet who rips and had great luck with storms. My job is fun and I get to share my passions.

Aspen/Snowmass opened the week before Turkey Day and closed 4/20. Employee day + couple bonus weekends and Memorial Day. Day at Loveland early, Abasin late. I took maybe 5 days off the hill. Gonna make it closer to 10 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

If it doesn't require 16 DIN is it really skiing anyway?
    I taught for a season. I didn't count my teaching days as "skiing." Sure, I had skis on my feet (sometimes) but it was mostly skating or herringboning around picking up little kids. "Skiing" to me involves at least going downhill and making turns.

If you're a higher level instructor teaching something other than never-evers, then sure, I can see counting them.

If you want to count them, count them. If you don't want to count them, don't count them. It's a purely personal decision, since this isn't a competition with rules.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

95 days on the spreadsheet last year, includes meadowskipping w the pooch, resort and BC days. 1000$ for the pass and prob another 500-1000 for misc gear, etc. i typically shoot for 100 days, but haven't made it in a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If you want to count them, count them. If you don't want to count them, don't count them. It's a purely personal decision, since this isn't a competition with rules.
    I'm not falling for your "anarchist" ploy, you astroturfer! There are ROOLZ.

Solid - 2 in the Southeast
    Mid 40s; wife, 4yo kid, completely inflexible stressing as fuck work, but pays nicely.
    1 day at local hill(2hrs) - too fucking expensive and crowded to ski weekends.
    4 days work trip to DV. Probably at the pimpest hotel on the Mtn. Work paid for pimp room and my airfare, most food. I paid for my lift tix and all of wife's shit, so at DV it's probably most than most mags spent all year.
    5 days- family trip to CO- not budget,nice condo, kid in ski school every day, wife lessons, gear etc probably $6k at least.
    4 days- "cheap" trip to summit cty with a buddy, cheap hotel, lifts, etc, got killed on airfare to Denver. got a 12" day at least.

1 new pair of skis and bindings. Prob $600 total, and I know a bunch of other smaller shit for myself and wife and kid.

Don't want to add it all up...
    I always wanted the family to ski together and now that they do I'm paying for it...it is one outdoor activity my wife loves to do, so we have fun. My kid should rip in a few years.

I dream about moving west daily, but I'm a victim of the paycheck/lifestyle/career prisoner, and don't see that changing.

45 days on snow. 40 were pow days, all inbounds. Including a family pass and gearing up the whole family, Skis,boots.binders for myself,wife and youngest, lease package for oldest and new jackets, gloves,goggles, fuel,fucking endless shit. Guessing the total came to 3.5k. We take food to the hill so the only on hill expense is beer. I hope Ullr keeps up with the big storm days corresponding with my days off this year like last. Biggest joy was seeing my kids progress throughout the season. Cannot wait to shred with them this year!

Hoping to travel a little bit this year. Really want to get down to B.S. I really miss that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You didn't read the roolz did you.. it's all a big pp contest.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What is the east coast legend category? You forgot another category, which should be #1 not 12, the I'm actually from the mountains and was born in what you people call a 'ski town' category. Surely they are on TGR, maybe not.

^^^
    If Bigherm ever makes it into the "ski town", I'll ski with him. Same with you.
    If not, I'll bring Hanle and we'll ski your place?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

If you're a higher level instructor teaching something other than never-evers, then sure, I can see counting them.
    A fair number of my teaching days are on the East Wall or Pali. Damn I love those days.
    Living vicariously through myself.

65 days last season, all in the midwest which is kinda sad.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

I got about 85 days on my pass last year plus a few more in the backcountry which is quite pathetic compared to most of my friends but pretty good for a desk jockey. Was born/raised in the area and I really enjoy skiing so whatever category that puts me in. I keep the vehicles and skis pretty clean but I do have a sweet sticker collage on my trash can.

days. But hugh called me a snowsnob in the surfing forum once, which might be correct because I also climbed and biked during "ski season" when I didn't bother skiing because there was no Pow. Mostly lift served, but some single digit touring days included. (still about three times more touring than in the years before).
    I spent much money on gas & tickets because i kept jumping from southern switzerland to Italy to the northern Alps (3 sad days...) following the Southern Dumps.
    Didn't spend anything on gear because the guys at powderguide keep giving me stuff for my discoherent snowblog ramblings
    so probably category 3,6 &8. I guess. Still this kook probably skied more Pow than most of the people with thrice the daycount
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I think my resort count was just under 45 this season. Had probably 20 days on the sled (half of which maybe I actually clipped into my skis) and probably 20-30 days touring. Also 4 days this july up on bear tooth. Maybe all in all just under a hundo. Don't really know.

What I do know... is that I'm definitely the best skier in this thread.

Not sure I really fit into any of those categories. Grew up in the North Carolina skiing only park. Graduated School with a computer science degree. Moved out Jackson. Found a we'll paying job that lets me set my own hours, work from home, buys my ski pass and insurance, etc. Pretty much haven't missed a powder day since I moved out here. Life is good when I'm not hurting myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Me, I'm just a middle aged working man. I got 35 days on my pass, probably about the same touring locally and call it 10 between Steamboat, Monarch and Silverton. I didn't leave Colorado. I got lucky in that we had a really good season and I had a handful of jobs up valley where I could work evenings and weekends. I got in a ton of before work/after work sessions.

I bought a $450ish pass with benefits at other hills. I didn't buy any hardgoods? A couple of pairs of socks and a new puffy was it. Half the days on my orginal MegaWatt/Dynafit Set up and the other half on some hand me down 120s I got from Cletus. Why? Because once you've got some decent stuff, equipment really doesn't matter. Think about it, the best skiers you know, how many pairs of skis do they own?

I'm just trying to see who we've got around here. Do you actually ski or are you more involved in the retail therapy of new unproved bindings and the latest greatest boutique ski? Skiers, myself included, are just a bunch of stock characters, which one are you?

1. Badass - Tabke, Kyle Miller, etc.
    2. Old, don't live near snow, don't give a fuck - Iceman, Tippster, etc.
    3. Lifelong committed skier - LemonBoy, AKPM
    4. Long Time Ski Towner - MtnLion, Tetons Posse
    5. Internet Legend - Hugh, Jer
    6. Weekend Warrior Hero - too many to list
    7. East Coast Legend - 90% of us
    8. Kooks - I'm calling you out - talk a big game about skiing, don't ski for shit

9. Insiders - employed in the ski industry. Don't know not skiing. TeleMike, Meadow Skipper
    10. Buster - gets his own catagory

11. Special Category for Mofro - thats a waste of a perfectly good monkey

To be clear, I could give two shits if you snowplow down Parkway. More power to you if you've got enough cheddar to spend $10K a year on skiing and only fly in for the good days. Props for the patience to battle in out with the rest of the Sat. Sun. Skiers.

But if you talk a big game, have all the latest greatest, properly apply all the semi-obscure stickers to the rocket box, but refuse to own the fact that you're pretty much a hack...OWN IT!!!

The charade only lasts so long. One day someone will actually see you ski and the fogged goggles, bad tune, shitty mount point, hangover, overdressed, shitty snow, jetlagged, sore back routine will be over.
    Shiiiiid, last year I probably skied 12 days??? Had a couple Loveland 4-paks, and that was all I could do. Commuting via MSY-->DEN on weekends probably thrice, and I had another longer trip or two in there. Maybe $1800 - $2200 ??

4th yr med school was pretty rad. Probly 30+ days (I count 19 documented) between A-Basin early season during Denver ortho rotation, SoliAltaBird for U of U rotation, a few sporadic Loveland trips, a Squallywood trip, and Baker-->Whistler-->AK. No season passes, so I may have blown >=$8K that year. Don't tell my Uncle Samuel.

Got Baldy pass this year. Hoping for ~20 days inbounds there ($50 in gas per day if solo!), T-giving Denver ($800) x 4 days, stormchaser or two to UT ($500 apiece), Mammoth x1 (>=$600), and KirkwoodSquawPine x1 ($700). So for 30 - 35 hopeful days, that's ~$4,500... Yowza.

I guess that makes me #6 for sure, maybe #3, and some might #5 as well due to a long history of semi-retarded antics...?

play on players.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

WestCoastPDR Guest
    45 inbound days between heavenly and Kirkwood. Spent about 200 on tickets to other places. Around 20 days out of bounds. Only spent 35 bucks on a pass as working a few hours every Friday or Saturday got me a free pass and a 35 dollar pass for my wife. I did spend a little bit on some pure carbon bros from splat in late March but other than that, I didn't spend much. This year I sold a pair of my wife's skis and pulled the trigger on the mountain collective so im down 40 bucks plus the 35 as I just got the email confirmation that I was hired again for the same slacker job I had last year. Now its just gonna cost me gas money and beer for couch surfing

Closing in on 40 years in a row on skis.

- 30-40 day seasons in high school and college
    - 1 complete season at Squaw (80 days)
    - Weekend warrior in my 20s
    - Single digit seasons in my 30s
    - Introducing my two young boys to skiing in my early 40s