Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ~30 days in bounds (RMSP) and another 20ish out.
    $ on the pass
    $400 on equipment
    $more than I want to try to calculate on gas sitting on I-70 (got stuck in that slush mess that took 5 hours to get from Silverthorne exit to the tunnel late last season...anyone else in that?)
    More $ lost on taking sick days...

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Leo, Ski Sundown represent or are you more of a Mohawk guy? I've spent some time at those bumps.
    Mohawk in da haus. Not gnar or rad, but it gets me my snow sliding fix.

#3 and 6. Got ~50 days last year bouncing around CO, about 50/50 between resort and touring. Season was cut short by injury - should have had another 10-20. Got a new 9-5 job last year and didn't have as much time off as I'd have liked - more vacation and sick accrued this year, so I should be able to get more weekdays in. Spent way too much on gear and a sled last year thanks to the new job doubling my salary and low living expenses, but most of that was older used stuff or got a good deal on new stuff. Also sold a bunch of gear, and will sell a bunch more this fall (and buy a handful of things too). I suck at skiing at no amount of gear or even # of ski days will change that, but I'm a gear nerd and so ski gear is a priority over things like shiny new cars and TVs and going out to fancy dinners. But after years working in a shop and stocking up last year, and now that I have more time off, I'll be shifting some money from gear into ski trips this season.

Four stickers on my truck last year. Three are memorials for friends that have passed away, and the other was an ON3P logo 'cause I like those guys.

Hi Bob, lets go blow up fireworks at Frozen with Jarred. Oh wait...time machine...anyone heard from Fred. Is he making it?

makes note: probably should get to SLC and WA on principle. I'm bad at keeping in touch with people. A day of bad skiing with good friends is still a pretty sweet day.

Oh..grumpy weekend powder day guy. I'm on to you also. Yeah, it's busy. Yeah, the powder don't last. Yeah, bevels wrong on your 112s. Should have been here yesterday bro!!! I'm going to work. Too many of you around.
    I'd rather we go back up to Jackson and stay at Fred's again.

Fred is still around, but he doesn't get out much, managed one day of skiing with him last season.

#6. I skied 49 days last year, which is standard for the past decade or so. I don’t tour a ton but had a few fun days with friends last year. I get the Alpy pass with Crystal days for $500. I also bought the Mountain Collective Pass and got 17 days at Whistler, Alta, and Jackson.

No new skis last season, but I picked up some Monday for half-off. We all got to do our part to keep America rolling.

I’m allergic to the glue on stickers.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

#6 Classic Weekend Warrior

Mountain Collective holder
    - 5 hours to Mammoth
    - 8 hours to Squaw/Alpine
    - Hoping Baldy opens
    - Fuck big bear

I am on the road 3 out of 4 weekends a month. Sleep in a tent outside of bishop often. I get as much skiing I can get in working 60 hrs a week.

I generally have 2 or 3 extended trips outside of CA each winter. Probably 3 BC days a year.

I buy gear as needed. I have 4 pairs of skis (powder, driver, groomer, BC), one set of outerwear, two sets of boots... really nothing fancy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

#3 & #4. Middle aged dad with a skiing/gear addiction. Skied 82 days last season for my 20th Scummit County ski season. Skied one day at Kirkwood (terrible conditions last year) for a Tahoe bachelor party and 2 days at Wolf Creek. All other days were on my Epic Local Pass or backcountry. I'd say ~33% of my days last season involved bc or sidecountry. I work M-F, 8-5, with flexible hours and my office is a 2 minute walk to the Breck gondola. I generally ski Breck during the week and try to avoid it on the weekends. Rarely miss powder days. My daughter had 35 days and my wife about 25.

Last season I probably spent $800 on gear and $1,400 on lift tickets and passes for the family. Thinking about upgrading my wife and daughter from the Summit Pass to the Epic Local this season for the Vail/BC experience. I'm already rearranging the quiver for this season and hoping to spend about $400 total. Quiver consists of 3 pairs of skis and two pairs of boots.

I put stickers on everything and generally fucking kill it.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 09-05-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Sticker guy should be badass...usually isn't.
    That's my motto:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

3. Lifelong committed skier
    4. Long Time Ski Towner
    6. Weekend Warrior Hero

This past season, I skied a lot (but never enough), spent a whole LOT on skiing, especially if you throw anything ski-related into the pot. Hate to say it, but gotta own up that it was well over $10K last season, mostly in travel expenses. Would I say I spent too much? No, because it's a central part of my life. I do OK (as a dentist, natch) and have disposable income; I don't have kids or hudge debts (outside of mortgage) and generally harbor simple tastes otherwise. Didn't purchase too many hardgoods, though always manage to pick up a few items getting blown out at end-of-season or offseason sales. I honestly do have too many skis.

I don't keep track of the # of days I ski, guessing 40-50ish? More? Less? Dunno really. Mix of lift-served and touring, have been doing so for the past 20+ years. Weekends I'm based outta BCC/LCC, SolBright and Mountain Collective cover the in-bounds. Early in the season the biggest expense was travel to South America thence to Antarctica to ski with straightchuter. During the regular season, went on a Jackson/Bridger/Interior BC road trip to meet friends for a week in a Kootanay Hut. Had a quick Anniversary weekend in Telluride with the wife, ski tix covered by my Solitude pass. I attended a work meeting in Yurp, and stretched the visit to include days at La Grave, Monte Rosa, Verbier and Andermatt, mostly with mags and/or ex-TTippers.

I'm pretty much a hack though I have podiumed in extreme tele comps in the past. I have loads of stickers collected but usually don't get around to putting them on anything. My favorite obscure ones are the Angry Whelk and "In Tartiflette We Trust"

The charade only lasts so long.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am on the road 3 out of 4 weekends a month. Sleep in a tent outside of bishop often. I get as much skiing I can get in working 60 hrs a week.s
    Sweet! Used to do the camp in Bishop thing a lot back in college. Mammoth is awesome.

Smile I'm a Legend in my own mind, but...

I'm really just a middle-aged working guy, (mainly 8-5 in the cubicles). I'm at 48 days and still counting, (Turns All Year this year). 20+ days of backcountry. My Bogus Basin pass is only $200, spent several hundred at JH and around $700 on Dynafit boots/bindings. Spent a lot more on Avy course, guides, Yurt trip, and travel.
    I'm a lifelong skier, and mainly a weekend warrior, although I do live by the "Powder Day Rule" - 6 inches or more after lifts close, and I'll be "flexing" my hours the next day. (At Bogus, that was only a couple of days last year).
    Stickers - all over the back window of the pickup, on the skis and helmets. I guess I'm not very obscure with those.

3 with 4 but short term

64 days plus 4 BC lodge, would have been more but about 10 days on sleds . Next year sled+ski

spend? pass $750 , gas, skis $260, binding $300, skins ? $130
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Last season I was on snow about 50 days. I think I only had like 10 touring days. It was simply snowing too much, so no need for touring. Was planing on another 10 days with touring in the spring but, blew my knee first day, first run. Recovering nicely now (knock on wood)

I skied mostly weekends, but not just. I have flexible work schedule and are lucky enough to head to the mountains when it's snowing.. I have absolutely no ski industry relation. I just like to ski, but to be honest I'm not particularly good at it. A great deal above the regular tourist level, but far far away from competition or movie level.

I did buy some gear, a ABS backpack and a pair of RPCs and a new tent. Also bought a new caravan that I live in every weekend when up on the mountain.

Edit: oh, and I'm late thirty with a regular office job (computer science)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    That's very cool... Is Active Endevours still in Santa Fe? Got that in 1995... Internet was two weeks old. Maybe I got it from you?
    That's hilarious. I worked at an Active Endeavors gear shop - with the SAME logo - in the Chicago area in the late 1990s and in 2002 at another location in Boulder. There was no affiliation with an NM store, so I guesses my bosses poached the name and logo!

1. New Skis: $1099 (2014 Kastle FX 104)
    2. New Boots: $650 (Lange RX 130)
    3. Ski Mount: $40
    4. Custom Foot Beds: $310
    5. Mold Boot Liners: $50
    6. Demo Ski Package: $125 (4 skis)
    7. Season Pass: $549
    8. New Goggles: $157 (Smith IOX)
    9. New Helmet: $198 (Smith Vantage)
    10. New Bindings: $171 (Salomon STH 14 still in box)
    11. New Bindings: $310 (2013 Marker Barons, mounted to FX 104)
    12. Jackson Hole Lift Ticket: $100
    13. Jackson Hole Demo Ski: $40

Total: $3799
    Days: ~20 days
    Category: Kook (although I don't have any stickers on my car)
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I didn't really answer the expense question.

If I include all the gas in driving 200miles *20Crustal + 100miles *10Alpental + 2500milesUT/Silverton/Monarch./Taos = 6500 miles.
    I'm driving a gas hog that only gets 20 mpg, so we're talking like 350 gallons of gas at nearly $4/gallon, so gas alone is up around $1400.

The great SW slice was probably around $1000 including family airfare.
    Yurp was easily $2000 this time with everything (despite really awesome rides around CH and FR from pals), so my yearly cost has got to be around $6000 including the $1500 on family passes, gear, etc.

Yikes.

Didn't spend much on gear
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I skied a ton despite the worst winter in anyone's memory (Juneuary was pretty sweet, we were fishing in t shirts and testing goretex on the rain corn) and a shoulder injury... 54 days

How much did I spend?

Well I spent every saturday and a good chunk of my spring break teaching lessons (didn't count a lot of those in the 54 days), which netted me like $550 in pay, which is probably what I spent on gas for the season (I figure $10/day of gas give or take), so I think I spent around $300 on apres and such... New skis were $400

Of course I did meet my $4500 deductible on my health plan, so there's that...

We'll call it about $5400 or about $100/day skiing... Or a solid $35% of my income!

Considering prices at Vail I think I did alright.

Although my shoulder still fucking hurts.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    And no stickers on the truck for me. Those go on the kegerator.
    Same here - mini fridge in my office and kegerator are covered with all of the stickers I didn't know what to do with. I had no idea I was being so "core" by not putting them on my box-top. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    That's hilarious. I worked at an Active Endeavors gear shop - with the SAME logo - in the Chicago area in the late 1990s and in 2002 at another location in Boulder. There was no affiliation with an NM store, so I guesses my bosses poached the name and logo!
    Actually, the NM store poached the name from the Chicago outfit, and had to change their name, to Sangre de Cristo Mountain Works. The NM owner had worked at or with the IL outfit at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Same here - mini fridge in my office and kegerator are covered with all of the stickers I didn't know what to do with. I had no idea I was being so "core" by not putting them on my box-top. ;-)
    I was the skate brat in HS with so many stickers on my beater car that you couldn't see out the back window. I grew out of that a long time ago, plus I like to draw as little attention as possible.

In the category of works too much, averaging 460hrs of OT a year but ski bum at heart with turns all year...47 months

Stevens Pass pass holder-Powder Alliance=free day at Sierra...it was shit.
    Mountain Collective pass holder=this season skied...Whistler/Blackcomb, Alpine/Squaw/Mammoth
    Buddy pass days at Kirkwood and Heavenly
    Crystal/Hood summer drink/ski

On 46 days included a skin or two up Stevens and Rainier (Nisqually Chute nectar) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQ6FQd4Vm8

Had to replace the 7yr old Arcteryx jacket so that sucked...couple of base grinds...kilo of wax...four hundred cases of beer and a bag of chips. Oh, had to replace the new googles I lost...dropped at Squaw...twas drunk...
    Custom hand made Monoskis in Washington. www.whiteknucklemonoskis.com
    All things related to Monoskiing www.monoski.net

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    ......, plus I like to draw as little attention as possible.
    ^this (on many levels )

Was 3 for decades, but have been stuck in 6 for the last several years. Finally admitted that I wasn't going to get out enough to bother even buying a pass, so resort skiing means a couple of single days in a year, plus 2 or 3 week long trips. At least one week long back country hut trip, plus a few additional days touring. So probably close to $5000 a year for less skiing than I used to do for $500

However this fall the wife is quiting work, and we will start spending winters in Whistler. May not be able to get out every day, for all day, but at least I can ski a couple of hours a day. Way more expensive pass than I am used to, but no 2 hour drive either. Probably save the difference in the price between our local area's pass and whistler in gas over a season.

1. New (used) skis: $250 (Voile Charger)
    2. Skins for those skis: $125
    3. Loss from buying new and then selling used pair of skis (idiot move #1): $200 (BD Currents)
    4. New (used) skis: $225 (Dynafit Nanga Parbat)
    5. Skins for those skis: $125
    6. New (used) boots: $250 (Scarpa TX)
    7. New (used) boots: $150 (Scarpa F1)
    8. Loss from buying and then selling used pair of boots (idiot move #2): $75 (Scarpa T4)
    9. New bindings: $150 (TTS Conversion kit)
    10. Season pass to Eaglecrest: $450

Total = $2000 (doesn’t include the 50 pounds of fries I ate at the cafeteria)
    Days: ~50
    Category: idiot telemarking hack

And I don’t have a car to sticker up; I drive a minivan motherfuckers.