Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Wow, throwing another tantrum. I hope this one makes you feel better.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Wow, throwing another tantrum. I hope this one makes you feel better.
    This you say aloud, as you look in the mirror while posting the very words?

I'm not the one throwing hissy fits, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and imagine it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yes, your mind-reading and emotions-divining skills are truly top shelf. I bet people line up to pay you $250 for a 45 mins session of headshrinking.

I'm looking to supplement my paper maps and compass. I have a Garmin 60csx I've used for dirt biking. Between the small screen, cumbersome interface, and annoyance in loading maps/tracks via computer it never leaves home. I prefer paper maps.

I would like an iPhone app that I can easily import downloaded tracks to. Ideally this would be used to store tracks for future use (IE I can keep a list of stored trails to choose from), and to cross reference/verify my location on the paper map. I have the phone with me anyway, seems a waste not to utilize it.

What's the preferred iphone app?

iHikeGPS for it's maps, ease of use, track recording and routing. Coupled with it's big brother MacGPSPro is an excellent combo for synching and expanding the apps capabilities.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

It all depends on where you are. If you're close enough to a bunch of cell towers and such, then a smartphone might work great for you...especially if you could get continuous loading of Google Earth. That is truly an amazing app. But you have to be in a good cell reception area for that.

If not in a good cell reception area (which for me is 90% of the time), I use a Magellan 500 GPS with downloadable topographic maps. It sort of by becomes a chart-plotter in your pocket and is great for sea kayaking too. Unlike a smartphone, it has real buttons and longer battery life.

Don't forget that the screens on most smart phones don't work well (if at all) with gloves...which really sucks in the winter. And also, the screens on the waterproof smartphones (like mine) are really lousy to use when the screen is wet...like during a heavy wet snow fall!!

No matter what you decide for a unit, make absolutely SURE that you also bring along plasticized topo maps of your intended area and a decent compass and KNOW how to use both TOGETHER for route-finding. They will still work when the fancy gizmo in your pocket is stone dead!!

If you're unsure of yourself in reading topo maps and walking a compass course, then LEARN....there are some good seminars on the subject in almost every area. Use them.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Bumping this! Watcha all using these days for multi day trips?

Multi-day - map, compass, and Google Maps.

Single days or If I can charge on a multi day, my phone. One simple reason; I can view slope shaded and sat image geospatial PDFs from cal topo. Haven’t come across another device that can do that which gives me better battery life.

Avenza Maps
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

[ctrl] p
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

?

Still using Backcountry Navigator. The largest issue I've found is that my phone's touchscreen goes apeshit when trying to use it in heavy snow and wind. It's fairly rare that I'm skiing in heavy snow in an area I'm unfamiliar with but that's something that I'll keep in mind.

Garmin e-trex 20.

Sent from my SM-J500M using Tapatalk

Gaia

95% of the time smartphone (airplane mode, everything ancillary turned off - this bullshit that you need cell towers/service is nonsense) as it's 1,000% easier to use than a GPS.

Actually 99% of the time my eyes.

Have a GPS, compass, paper maps as backup.

It's funny how often you'll hear old timers, guides, nerds and such rail against smartphones/gps ... and then break them out instantly on their own trips. Yeah, you should pre-plan and use your goddamned eyes and know how to use a map/compass, but a smartphone w/Gaia or whatever is so. much. better. than anything else at quickly reoriented yourself or ending stupid arguments about where, exactly, you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Avenza Maps
    This is what I use to view PDFs from cal topo . Fkn awesome.

It’s what you should use

After switching the ATT, my cell service in the locals mountains is much more reliable.

I like the Gaia GPS app for around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Avenza Maps
    This

In the mountains a map is all I need. I've always carried a compass and never used it that I can recall. (That doesn't mean I've never been lost, but obviously I figured it out or I wouldn't be typing this.) If I were doing significant cross country travel in the desert or other less obvious terrain I guess I'd use a GPS.

I use my phone but I always have the Garmin as a backup. Can't beat a GPS in bad fog.