Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quick poll...

Can this winter be saved?

No.

But if you hike for some Pow you might find some untracked spring skiing

And now for "The Rest of the Story" from the girl that got lost and survived three days last week after following some skiers out of bounds:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...gain-1.2932625

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    No.

But if you hike for some Pow you might find some untracked spring skiing

And now for "The Rest of the Story" from the girl that got lost and survived three days last week after following some skiers out of bounds:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...gain-1.2932625
    I'm really glad she got out unscathed, but this article makes her sound like a potential Darwin award candidate.

In other news, it's the end of January and there is hair on my shins for the first time in...forever years?

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    We might have different ideas of what 'riding' is?
    Definitely.

As for salvaging the season, I'd say no.
    It didn't snow till Feb 11th last year, and if its starts dumping they will be so much pent up powder madness it will be just as hectic/crowded/frenzied on the resort especially with all the North Shore closed. We haven't had any 8-13cm days following up one another in storm cycles that provide the better resort days, people haven't grown tired of fresh snow and its now its the silly season. Even if it does start dumping it'll take a couple weeks for Duffey access/exits and mid mountain tress to fill in.

The only recent seasons I remember seeing this much first half rain was 04/05 and that year it didn't snow in Feb. In 01/02 we had a huge early season base and we got a big Pineapple and lots rain days finishing with mediocrity for the rest of the year.
    Of course we could get the snow of Feb 99 and spring 03 but Ullr had his chance for a young Norwegian girl as a sacrifice and he tossed her back so thats unlikely.

I'm going to burn some boards in a pyre, maybe that will help.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

I hope it snows like hell, even if that means a complete gong show of snow starved locals and tourists on the hill. At least I can get a couple of runs in first thing, then head out sledding. The way it is right now, even the sledding option is rapidly disappearing down the creeks.

2014/2015 Whistler Blackcomb - South Coast - Duffey Lake Thread

New bike coming - either snow a lot or stay dry and warm is fine. Bit of a shame when I've only had 8 days on skis but it is what it is

we potentially have 2-3 months of winter left, I'm not going to write it off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    we potentially have 2-3 months of winter left, I'm not going to write it off yet.
    I chose to agree with this. In past years, there have been lots of awesome november pow days after a big storm with barely any base underneath, so no reason the rest of the season can't be great, despite the thin base...

Mind you, I'm secretly happy that we rolled the dice with an Edge card this year as opposed to a pass...

So.... we are heading up to Whistler on Friday for not a big skiing weekend (GF is 7 months pregnant and my skiing partners are my dog and 3.5yo daughter) Does anyone have suggestions for snow play for the daughter. I'd like to rent her some downhill skis and have a bit of snowplay, we've got her Kompedrell Kids skis from last year. She still naps so the Whistler ski lesson is not going work out. Ideally we'd do a bit of sliding around at the bottom of the wizard chair what's the deal with tickets etc...

The dog is sorted he just wants to run and I think I might rent a fat bike.

Thanks alot... apparently this year is mine to go skiing and I am doing childcare next winter...

Any one been up this week? Is it at least a bit of Styrofoam, or pure, refrozen, rained on ice, followed by a few days of melt freeze?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkee View Post
    So.... we are heading up to Whistler on Friday for not a big skiing weekend (GF is 7 months pregnant and my skiing partners are my dog and 3.5yo daughter) Does anyone have suggestions for snow play for the daughter. I'd like to rent her some downhill skis and have a bit of snowplay, we've got her Kompedrell Kids skis from last year. She still naps so the Whistler ski lesson is not going work out. Ideally we'd do a bit of sliding around at the bottom of the wizard chair what's the deal with tickets etc...

The dog is sorted he just wants to run and I think I might rent a fat bike.

Thanks alot... apparently this year is mine to go skiing and I am doing childcare next winter...
    Clarkee - can't help you with the kid, but we've got a four-legged dude who likes to run. If you've got a car, Callaghan Valley has some off leash cross country skiing that's fun with them. Just make sure they've opened more than just the loop, otherwise it's not worth the money (well, it's never really worth the amount they charge, but even less so if most of it is closed).

Cheers, yeah we packing the misery sticks and the chariot, doggie can also be persuaded to do a bit of joring from time to time.

The rental shops will have "proper" boots and skis for your daughter. Don't quote me but I am pretty sure there is, or at least was, a cheap ticket ($20 or so) that allows you to just ride Magic Chair. Kids under 6 are free. Call W/B and confirm this though as it all might have changed with the RFID tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Any one been up this week? Is it at least a bit of Styrofoam, or pure, refrozen, rained on ice, followed by a few days of melt freeze? .
    Stay on the groomers. It beyond sucks.

Sweet daddy mommy ski school here we come.

I bet these Joey's are just loving this: http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/austr...-of-insane-822
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

The STI capital of Canada. Everyone has a Subaru ?

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Stay on the groomers. It beyond sucks.
    This. It's pure ice. 1:30 today and even 7th was ice in full sun. Peak to creek and lower Dave's were real slick on a snowboard.

Biking on Fromme was great today.

Friday is my one day In years at Whis, I must've picked up my Dads luck for pow. Good thing it have my 35m radius 2x4's.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Biking on Fromme was great today.
    No kidding! Gorgeous day up there today, trails are running well and pretty dry. No snow in sight up at 7th Secret.

We checked out Coast Gravity Park on Sunday which was also super fun. Mostly flow/jump trails as well as they just opened a new loamer. Skied Whistler Monday and it honestly took until 1:30pm for Sun Bowl to soften up enough to be fun.

I should be bummed that I have a week off with terrible ski conditions, but the biking has been fantastic. Planning on hitting up Squamish on Friday.

I thought Banff was the STD capital of our fine country.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I thought Banff was the STD capital of our fine country.
    It was 'back in the day' but if I remember correctly whistler took over 10 to 15 years ago.

Is the biking going in Whistler or Pemberton yet?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Is the biking going in Whistler or Pemberton yet?
    Not sure but as mentioned above fromme is minty right now. It felt like early May today. Squamish must be just as sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Not sure but as mentioned above fromme is minty right now. It felt like early May today. Squamish must be just as sweet.
    Yeah, the Shore is great right now for sure.

I ask because I'm staying up in Pemby this weekend and am wondering whether I should bring the bike.