Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2014/2015 Fall Days Afield Thread

It's about that time! (Beyond that time for some!)
    Upland opened yesterday in UT, Ducks early October, and I got a Muzzy Cow Tag.

Here's to straight shots, clean kills, and lifetime memories.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Good lord I can't wait for cool mornings and game in the bag. Bring on fall!
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

I got an Idaho Hunting Passport. So since I've yet to officially kill something in any state, for $1.75 I can hunt till the end of the year with anyone with a license without having to take a safety course. What could go wrong. Any recs for a cheap shotgun to kill upland birds and ducks with? What should I look for used?

Remington 870 wingmaster will do the trick and you can pickup a used one for under $300.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Season opens up in a couple weeks. In the mean time I've been running dogs on grouse and woodcock and have had a lot of success. Couple pictures:

This is what I walked up on.

I tried flushing a bird, but couldn't find one so I relocated her. She went about 20 feet and went on point again. Again no flush so I went to relocate again this time she took one step and locked up again. Once again no bird so I figured the bird left thus I tried to release her with a tap on her head, but all she did was look down. I got on my knees to look closer and this is what I saw.

A closer look.

I'm glad I've got a steady dog, because otherwise I would have had to deal with a dead grouse two weeks before the season opens.

Nice work! No dog here, so hunting birds in and around Salt Lake is difficult, they hide in the super thick scrub oak, and my 28" benelli does not agree well with that. Time to think about an over/under 20.
    Anyone know any good zones nearish to SLC?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Just got back from a 4 day float for moose. No luck, but nice weather and our friends brought along their pup. She retrieved 8 ducks and 9 grouse (in 1 hour!).

Please pass the wine.

First duck

Last duck

So you just sort of fit the moose into the canoe and float it out, or do you bring along an inflatable that can carry the meat, or what is the plan? Nice pics by the way.

Bump bu bu bump bump, buuuuuuuuuuuuump!

So, my falconry season has officially begun. This little guy was up to no good eating my friends racing pigeons that he uses to train his falcons, so I took him into custody. He's a male cooper's hawk, which is kinda like a small goshawk. Planning on hunting dove, maybe quail if it's a good year for them and barn pigeons plus the odd starling or sparrow if they get in his way. I'm thinking of calling him Flapjack.Thoughts?

He's got a pretty mellow personality for a cooper's hawk, and his training is coming along well. Have him coming short distances to the glove and lure at the moment. Should be flying outside in another week or so. Cheers!
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

I would love to see some video of Flapjack taking down a dove.

I hope I can provide. I tried my hand with this species a few years ago with less than stellar results. They are difficult birds but can be a hoot when they really get going.
    -Aldo Leopold

Elk archery has been a shit show here in CO. We had nice cool pre-rut temps and then bam...hot as shit. Had some really good chances still, but are unbelievably still empty handed. Leaving at 2 for the last weekend...and it is going to be freaking hot again.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Bird is coming along nicely, and we should be hunting soon. Have him coming to the lure outside on the line right now. Here's flapjack with his morning snack.

-Aldo Leopold

Awesomeness, that is how a man hunts, with a bird and a bow. More pics of Flapjack in action please.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Here's flapjack with his morning snack.
    Would that be a Flapsnack? lol cool

Did some grouse hunting and training this past weekend. Temps were quite warm from the mid 70's F up to 80 F. I'm pretty good reading my setter's point and when I saw her I was fairly confident I knew species of bird she was pointing. So since I don't shoot woodcock since I don't eat them so I decided to set the shotgun down and pull out the blank pistol and an old p&s.

Really tough weather here in CO as Gretch alluded too. Never got into the elk, but lots of muley around. Unfortunantly, my two shots went long.

Bummer cold smokin. Way she goes goes sometimes eh?

Grange - always love what you're doing with the pups. Wanna come whip mine into shape?

Here's a quick vid of Flapjack coming to the lure on his first free flight since I got him. Birds beware! We'll be making our first attempt at taking game this weekend.

-Aldo Leopold

Me killing a tasty steel plate at 700+ yards. Gimme a break - I'm vegan. Nice day.

^ Looks fun to me! Hell of a setup you have there.
    -Aldo Leopold

And just like that, 2014-15 Utah waterfoul season is underway. We had some intel on a nice isolated spot, no other shooters on our honey hole far out, we're going in by bike, so public lands can be tricky, especially with the douche-junk-show that is Farmington Bay. 3 birds shy of a 3 man limit, would have limited if we started shooting when the other assholes did (easily 10 minutes early). 1 Gadwall hen, 1 Mallard Drake, 1 Mallard Hen, 15 teal

^Hell ya! My waterfowl season opens next Sat. Taking both my girls. Opening day tradition, cannot wait!

Flapjack was a real dickhead the last few days. Both hunts ended with me climbing through thick ass underbrush and searching for him for an hour. So far his head is not in the game.
    -Aldo Leopold

As some of you know, I lost my dog Steve this summer in a fishing accident. Be careful taking your dogs on the river.

Anyhow, here is the new project. Judy is Steve's 1/2 sister from the same sire. She's just over four months old now and birdy as all hell. I find her chasing huns on our property and pointing magpies. Hopefully she'll get her shit straight. She's the one with the beard, getting clobbered by her lab friend, Maude.

As for killing, I zipped a doe on the last day of archery season here just to fill the freezer. It has been very, very delicious.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I got an Idaho Hunting Passport. So since I've yet to officially kill something in any state, for $1.75 I can hunt till the end of the year with anyone with a license without having to take a safety course. What could go wrong. Any recs for a cheap shotgun to kill upland birds and ducks with? What should I look for used?
    Snapt--let's go hunting. You've got some great pheasant in your area and I'd be game to come over there for a day.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."