BD STS Nylon vs BD STS Mohair Blend

This comparison has probably been hashed over a zillion times but I just want a new comparison as BD claims that their skins have been upgraded somewhat recently. I have a fair collection of BC skis with skins. All my skins are BD STS Ascensions Nylon. The skins work decently with some over sticky glue issues and stiffness. They are very grippy. Never tried Mohair or the blend and haven't really toured much with skiers on them either. So, anybody want to throw down a opinion. The skins will go on some light big AT skis that will be 100% touring in the Sierras. Touring mainly on soft snow with big climbs and not much long runouts or approaches. Thanks.........

I switched to BD Mohair Mix last winter from my previous Nylon Ascensions. They grip marginally less than the nylons and glide a little better. They're way more supple though and pack better.

I too switched from BD Nylon to BD Mohair Mix last year and I fully agree with LC. The hypothetical "lower grip" is probably true, but to me was inconsequential in the real world. Maybe only a difference of 2-3deg of slope angle that I could skin up with Nylon vs. Mix (given equal snow conditions). To me the benefits of glide, lower weight and easier to pack outweigh any grip differences

As for durability, not enough time on the Mix to really compare to the Nylon, but I have not tried to baby the Mix and they seem to be holding up well.

I tried the mohair mix last year too after using the BD Nylon for many years. Agree with what's stated above, much more supple, doesn't climb quite as well, and I'll be very surprised if they're as durable. The nylon skins from BD I've had seem almost indestructible. Even so, I like the mohair mix.

The above three guys know what they are talking about. You'll only notice the difference in grip on very hard compacted snow, and you'll probably not notice the difference in glide unless you're going downhill with skins on next to someone with Ascension nylons. The Mohair Mix and Mohair Pure use a thinner, more pliable backing that packs way smaller but surprisingly isn't that much lighter. Can't really speak to the durability of the Mix relative to the Nylon (the latter being bomber) because I didn't use them as long, but they are plenty good for a few years even if you tour a lot. AFAIK the "changes" in BD skins involved making the glue slightly less sticky so weakling AT skiers could separate the skins when new.

While we're on the topic, what about the difference between the BD Pure and Mix? Same packability? Same improvement/loss of glide/climb as the move to Mix from Nylon, or is the difference more dramatic than minimal?

They should really make the Ascensions with the supple Mix backing again - those were the old Nylon Glidelites right?

I've got many mix and one of the pure. They were used for I'm not sure how long, but I think the water repellancy of the pure is pretty abysmal. The skins have so many filaments, it's like a cloth or something with how it holds the water. Considering the consistently cold conditions we're used to up here, I think the issue would be be as noticeable or worse for you guys in solar snow or spring conditions. Same packability, same weight as far as I could tell.

I still have a pair of Glidelites that are maybe 8 YO that I use on my rock skis and loaners. They were probably the best skins I have owned and used. Glue held up and easy to pack and store in pocket if necessary. As far as what I want, my gut instincts tell me stay with Nylon and my heart tells me to try something new. I bought four pair of Nylon STS last year for my wife and I, bought into the coolaide that the glue has changed and other upgrades. Well, IMO, the glue did change, it got stickier. Granted Tahoe last year was a warm season and warm and BD skins are not compatable, it was a wrestling match either separating the skins or peeling them off skis. We are not milk toast either. So, it came down to using the skin savers all the time and leaving a extra barrier of wax on the skis.

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far, I have considered Glueless skins too but no local dealers and support incase they fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    While we're on the topic, what about the difference between the BD Pure and Mix?
    Current generation Pure and Mix Black Diamond skins appear to be on the same backing - the only Pures I've owned were super skinny old stock, so I can't really comment on the comparative grip/glide now. The weight difference between all three skins is minimal, though. Check out the top three entries here:

http://www.evo.com/climbing-skins-we...ring-skis.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    AFAIK the "changes" in BD skins involved making the glue slightly less sticky so weakling AT skiers could separate the skins when new.
    LOL, thanks for the laugh greg.

What everyone else said.
    The MoMix pack to atleast half the size of the nylons. They are definitely thinner but I didn't have any issues with durability after beating on them all last winter. I have two touring skis, one with the mix and one with nylons, and it always sucks going back to the nylons because they take up so much damn space.