Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Squatting

Squatting

Can anyone explain to me why this is tolerated? In the last week I've seen two different news stories--one in Portland and one in Seattle--about squatters who are still occupying houses despite numerous complaints. I just don't understand why it's so difficult to boot someone from a house they don't own.

Here's one of the stories:
    http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/neig...seattle/nhBj3/

In the Portland story a guy bought a house and he can't even get in because the squatters have changed the locks. They said it will probably be a minimum of two weeks and probably more like a month before legal action can force the squatters out. I don't get it.

PM DigitalDeath, he specializes in landlord issues

This is why a friend of mine moved from NY to Denver a long time ago to own rental properties. No rent? Bye bye.

I'm sure a shotgun, a couple of flashbangs and flame thrower will fix those squatters quickly.

I don't mind squatters if they're females in yoga pants..
    Last edited by IVplay; 08-29-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

^^^ This is what I was hoping for when I entered this one. Yet another letdown...

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    ^^^ This is what I was hoping for when I entered this one
    You were hoping for poor grammar?

I had to get a squatter out of my place in Vermont after I'd bought it. Took a couple weeks, a dumpster and shotgun, but he moved out. State laws here protect renters so that they can't be evicted in winter months.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

"The owner of the house said her previous tenant allowed other people to move in without her authorization when they moved out."

There is something here. Did the original tenant forfeit a deposit? Give 30 days notice? There are missing pieces to the story. It pays to schedule monthly inspections of a property.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    State laws here protect renters so that they can't be evicted in winter months.
    I guess a renter can become a squatter when they stop paying the bills. That seems like a different situation than people just coming in and setting up residence in an unoccupied dwelling.

A lot of municipalities pass very tenant friendly ordinances.

Yep... my guy paid rent for two months, then lived for two and a half years rent free. I only bought the place after he was legally evicted, so I didn't have to go through the BS.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

The part of the storyh you're not getting here is what the hell the owner has been doing since January?

It is not that hard to get squatters out. But judges are not sympathetic to landlords who don't follow the statute or the rules. If you are not capable of navigating through basic landlord tenant law then you shouldn't be a landlord.

Yep... my guy paid rent for two months, then lived for two and a half years rent free. I only bought the place after he was legally evicted, so I didn't have to go through the BS.
    How can you sleep at night?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The slumlord "doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer"? The whole story sounds like bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Very first image that popped in my head when I saw the thread title!

Took a couple weeks, a dumpster and shotgun...
    Sig worthy!

Here in the land of meth and foreclosures, we have a lot of squatter situations. In some cases, the cops can't even figure out who owns the property and in other cases the bank either doesn't care or have the resources to deal with it. To make it even better, the tweakers strip the house of everything- and I mean everything- tearing out the walls to get all the wires and plumbing. Every appliance and fixture. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Very first image that popped in my head when I saw the thread title!

Sig worthy!

Here in the land of meth and foreclosures, we have a lot of squatter situations. In some cases, the cops can't even figure out who owns the property and in other cases the bank either doesn't care or have the resources to deal with it. To make it even better, the tweakers strip the house of everything- and I mean everything- tearing out the walls to get all the wires and plumbing. Every appliance and fixture. Good times!
    'Murica!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    The slumlord "doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer"? The whole story sounds like bullshit.
    Well, yeah, the landlord sounds pretty useless, but let's be clear that this is not exactly a slum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    We just had one of those guys move out of a house yesterday. The filth and damage from his daily life for one year is astonishing. It wasn't my choice to put him in there. At least he paid the rent every month.. And, the gf gave him his deposit back. Felt sorry for the poor bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    We just had one of those guys move out of a house yesterday. The filth and damage from his daily life for one year is astonishing. It wasn't my choice to put him in there. At least he paid the rent every month.. And, the gf gave him his deposit back. Felt sorry for the poor bastard.
    "one of those guys"? What would that be?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Going with this thread drift, my brother-in-law and his girlfriend are potty-training their 9 month old kid.
    Well this thread has really gone to shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Going with this thread drift, my brother-in-law and his girlfriend are potty-training their 9 month old kid. Apparently, Europeans start potty training way early. They explained it by saying that it's better to start them before they can get around on their own, so they can't leave the toilet.
    Is this a joke? So they just take pisses and shits in their beds while they sleep?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    "one of those guys"? What would that be?
    You want me to go there?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You want me to go there?
    you already did
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy