Page 33 of 106 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    latest forecasts have the snow totals for truckee and boreal, ca down signficantly, int the inches vs. foot range. going to try to get as far as auburn thurs pm and access fri morning. worst of he storm seems to early thurs to early friday...what do you folks think?
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Alpine may be able to get their top open as they have had the coverage to do that work for a week.
    The issue at Alpine on Friday isn't going to be the top, but the bottom. http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding...-tahoe-webcams

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    going to try to get as far as auburn thurs pm and access fri morning. worst of he storm seems to early thurs to early friday...what do you folks think?
    Might work. Looks like the snow should start to taper mid-morning.
    not counting days 2016-17

Top of Alpine should be pretty sweet when it opens on Saturday morning. Squaw too.

So much hype for this storm. A bit of a bummer that it's coming in with such a southerly flow. C'est la vie. Still should be good, and then unsettled-ness next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

hype is right. SF, Berkeley and Oakland school districts all closed for the day today. Oh, no, rain!!!! And wind!!!!

OTOH, the surf was seriously pumping yesterday.

NWS Reno showing wind gust of 109 at Alpine Mdws, 111 at Mammoth and 123 on White Mtn
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    hype is right. SF, Berkeley and Oakland school districts all closed for the day today. Oh, no, rain!!!! And wind!!!!

Power is out across most of the northern half of San Francisco. Sure would be fun to be in school right about now.

Sadly, power is on at my office. So...

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

So much hype for this storm.
    if i've learned anything about weather forecasts since moving up here it's two things:

1. I'll believe it when I ski it

Truckee weather overnight maintained a steady 41 degrees coupled with heavy winds.
    Truckee weather currently is drizzly with mild winds and the temps dipping down just a few degrees into the 38 range.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418320659.430106.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1,018.7 KB 
ID:	161306

Limbs crashing down.

The struggle is real...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

N* & boreal closed today...squaw open
    Last edited by MARSHALL TUCKER; 12-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Believe the hype:

https://twitter.com/nwsbayarea

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Wow:
    Quote Originally Posted by NWSbayarea
    Rain gauge at San Bruno Mountain reports 0.91 inches of rain in the past half hour. #bayareastorm

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So would the snow be worth a ten hour road trip to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418320659.430106.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1,018.7 KB 
ID:	161306

Limbs crashing down.

The struggle is real...
    Ha ha, this made me laugh.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418331481.162688.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	161313

Quote Originally Posted by zpooch View Post
    So would the snow be worth a ten hour road trip to get there?
    My less-than-educated read of the radar maps shows most of the heavy precipitation has, to this point, gone north of Tahoe (not north Tahoe, but north of the resorts). A look at the Northstar snow stake shows that snow just started accumulating there (http://www.northstarcalifornia.com/t.../web-cams.aspx). Could be a different story at other resorts closer to the summit, but Squaw's webcams show a whole lot of dirt on the lower mountain (http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding...-tahoe-webcams).

It all depends on what happens overnight. If the storms shift south, and the snow level drops to 6,000 feet, it would make whatever traffic/highway closure/backroads approach via Highways 20/40/65 worth it.

copy and pasted from Squalpine's website:

"WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT, UP TO 3 FEET EXPECTED. PASS PRICES WILL INCREASE"

a little out of context but sorta funny

'Powder Picnic Cam'....I think this one cam will probably sum up the situation so far, and answer any questions about totals on Donner Summit @7k

http://www.sugarbowl.com/webcams?cam=cam1

Just saw on CalDOT that 88 is closed at Ham's Station for a ? WILD FIRE??? any more details?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I-80 chains/4wd snow tires Kingvale to pass....88 chains/4wd/snotires. no resictions on 50. is this normal? will it hold? Looking at the cams I-80 = shitshow. 50 wet @ echo summitt. That will probably change...
    Last edited by MARSHALL TUCKER; 12-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    "Can't you see..."

Damm! Surfs pumping.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h913pMN5xrU

Seeing reports of major wind damage in SLT. Hope all the trees around my sisters cabin are still in the ground and not through the roof.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Got a nice hour long burst of very heavy rain from about 10 to 11 this morning. Consistent moderate plus range since. We are well south of Tahoe, so we just need this band to move west.

I looked at radar at 8am and saw the orange and red band just offshore. Red typically means tornado, and appears as dots. This was a band. It disappointed to orange as it rain ashore. Impressive.

Wind and rain are much milder now. Still very wet.

Would love to hear more about the 88 wild fire. New glades terrain?

BTW, I would be stoked to e in school on a day like this. My son was amped in the heavy stuff. He would have been fine outdoors the whole morning.

As reported above, Gnarthstar was closed today. Word on the street was that this was the first time since 2002 that the entire mountain was shut down due to inclimate weather (i.e. high winds/heavy rain). Ice rink was shut, too. Saw a uprooted tree in the parking lot, as well.

Been steady drizzle since this morning, but just now (2:50ish) dropped to 33 degrees in T/D (I'm at roughly 6200) and started to drift heavy, wet slush from on high. Guessing that up at higher elevation it's accumulating much better...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

WestCoastPDR Guest
    "I knew I should have put a second line to the morning ball. I'm screwed now" Boat = break out another grand. In this case probably ten But then again its ARMARK or whoevers problem at Zypher cove

Edit: Not my boat. I'm well aware of the two best days of boat ownership are the first and last.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418340044.858640.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	796.7 KB 
ID:	161317
    Last edited by WestCoastPDR; 12-11-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Bummer dude.

So far my three finish retaining walls have done well. I thought my drainage looked not so hot. Then I went out into the streets. Feeling pretty good about my drainage not. Excellent test today.

Can I pick up my Vail pass at Heavenly Stateline office?