Page 57 of 106 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2628
    There is space to explore. Depends where you go. Rose is your best bet from Reno. I don't know how Rose is looking right now but someone I talked to yesterday said they were dry. On the contrary, Alpine Meadows has decent coverage and the corn has been harvesting nicely.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

The plan was to go to Squaw/Alpine.

^^ Alpine is a much better option than Squaw right now. You can still have some fun out there depending on these factors:

A) You don't care about your bases, that's what p-tex is for.
    B) Willing to explore.
    C) Psych yourself into believing it's May.

It's not WROD. There's still some room and it's not a holiday weekend. I hope your Utah friends have AltaBird passes so they can at least get 50% off.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Rose is your best bet from Reno. I don't know how Rose is looking right now but someone I talked to yesterday said they were dry.
    I was there Saturday for a few hours. It's terrible.

I only skied on the main side (more north-facing, generally better snow) -- brown patches showing up in the groomers, gravel in the groomers, mixture of icy skidded-off snow and slush piles.

I've skied in July with better conditions. I'm not going back until we get some storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A) Yep, that's the year-round philosophy, who needs 'rock skis'?
    B) Hell yeah!
    C) Memorial Day's coming up, right?

Yeah, all the UT folks are Bird people, thank you Mountain Collective.

Have you considered trading your place in Utah for someone's place here? There's plenty of us heading there regularly.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Have you considered trading your place in Utah for someone's place here? There's plenty of us heading there regularly.
    You can come for the weekend, but you gotta feed the cat...

I can feed on cat.

I mean feed the cat.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I can feed on cat.

I mean feed the cat.
    Either way is fine with me, wifey on the other hand...

I can feed the wife.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    You can come for the weekend, but you gotta feed the cat...
    Sounds like the cat food is taken care of. I'll bring the kitty litter

At least gas is cheap right now. 1.54 in twin falls.

Fish tacos at merry piglets in Jackson are good. FYI for anyone headed out this way. FAK. I gotta go home soon.

I can feed the wife.
    Tempting...

i don't think it's fair to blame all this on thin cover. on the other hand, Hutchski moved to tahoe in march of 2011 and we have had nothing but shit years since.
    I thought it was my son being born in May that year that shut everything down. Glad I found another scapegoat.

Send him to the Tetons and see what happens.

Kidwoo that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. Shit sleds roll all over it out on forestdale road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Patrol should probably put an extra warning at the KT lift.
    Yeah they have.
    Yes easy to get Cliffed out. But small cliffs...
    [blog] So we were giving our buddy Justin the tour. Couple of runs off each lift (missed emigrant but got solitude). Doing the Saddle we ended up in a spot where Justin had to air down a small Cliff with a little frozen waterfall, but there was a sawn off shrub sticking up in the LZ so he was umming & ahing.
    Cin & me had a side-slip along a narrowing rock shelf with a thin layer of snow on top, then hop down over small rock to open snow. Also umming & ahing.
    Watched a telemarker ski into a small bush and get his ski's tangled up. Got freed by his buddy. Then they sent the cliff Justin was looking at, clearing the sticking up stick so he followed.
    We did our thing.
    Then watched as a cougar (no helmet, bold red hair, purple one-piece) in the company of a couple of older teens in gaper-gear proceeded to remove their. skis and do the slide down on butt & toss skis down thing.
    Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    bring skis or hiking shoes?
    Well, they were actually blowing snow on Wednesday at Alpine in the morning.
    Northstar opened Prosser groomer on Lookout, just the weekend before last, and it fuckin' kicked ass!
    (Pretty sure that's the fastest I've ever been on skis!!)
    It has been kind of cold, although think that's gonna change this weekend...
    Could be a lot worse...
    (the sound of a clock, ticking...)

Went up late Friday from San Francisco, traffic the whole way wtf.
    Alpine on sat. Forgot it was blackout, I have a silver pass! I've already paid more than a gold would've been in upgrades. Just me and my 7yo. Skied on my wide powder skis, were actually really fun to carve with as long as you don't go too fast. 7yo is killin' it, love watching him improve.

Sat night went to boreal, waay crowded, pretty much only terrain park. Different scene there, pretty much just high school kids. all from Sacramento just there for the night skiing. My boy loved it and wanted to keep going up to the buzzer.

Sunday did sugar bowl. Fun day.
    Snow was carveable, corn-like but not great. Lots of dirt patches.

Saw dodge Ridge is closing after today; not for the season, just until they get new snow! Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Kidwoo that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.

Their argument was a 'safety concern' thinking someone on the PCT might get hit with a snowmobile. I'd give any of them money if they could even find it in january. And now the little bridgeport office has to go place and remove those things, plus always hang out there for enforcement. It's like passing CHP some days. Ahhh......the great outdoors.

Yeah when we park and hike back into the actual wilderness now, there's a sketchy rock scramble or a hard traverse across an open face that does slide. One of them a spot usually too windswept and steep to even stop. All because an entire side of two non-wilderness drainages are inaccessiblesince you can't cross it. You know.......for 'safety'

The early days of a sport are always the best ones before anyone has time to figure out why it's morally wrong, and why they should be offended. Enjoy them
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Sorry Mr Ranger, I thought it was a slalom course. I hope they mark the entire non-wilderness section of the PCT with stakes throughout the Sierras and Pacific Northwest, money well spent! Kinda goes against the whole scenic corridor the PCT wants, those stakes really show off the beauty of the mountains covered in snow.

i don't think it's fair to blame all this on thin cover. on the other hand, Hutchski moved to tahoe in march of 2011 and we have had nothing but shit years since.
    Burn the witch!

with the warm temps the snow biking even sucks right now...

Sorry Mr Ranger, I thought it was a slalom course. I hope they mark the entire non-wilderness section of the PCT with stakes throughout the Sierras and Pacific Northwest, money well spent! Kinda goes against the whole scenic corridor the PCT wants, those stakes really show off the beauty of the mountains covered in snow.
    Shit, it's not like they'll ever see them. The fact that they think their are people following the pct in winter that are at risk of getting hit by a snowmobile proves they've never been there that time of year.

But yeah it's ugly as hell, an undue burden on the bridgeport ranger district, and actually makes getting around back there more dangerous.

So yeah, just keep an eye on what you put up with that wheeled nature destoyer of yours.

To put things in perspective, there are a couple guys attempting the first winter traverse on the PCT this year, so it will be worth every dime of tax payers money to keep these two safe.

there are a couple guys attempting the first winter traverse on the PCT this year, .
    prediction: a Yeti will rape them to shreds

Burn the witch!

with the warm temps the snow biking even sucks right now...
    did i mention she moved here from salem?

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Yeah they have.
    Yes easy to get Cliffed out. But small cliffs...
    [blog] So we were giving our buddy Justin the tour. Couple of runs off each lift (missed emigrant but got solitude). Doing the Saddle we ended up in a spot where Justin had to air down a small Cliff with a little frozen waterfall, but there was a sawn off shrub sticking up in the LZ so he was umming & ahing.
    Cin & me had a side-slip along a narrowing rock shelf with a thin layer of snow on top, then hop down over small rock to open snow. Also umming & ahing.
    Watched a telemarker ski into a small bush and get his ski's tangled up. Got freed by his buddy. Then they sent the cliff Justin was looking at, clearing the sticking up stick so he followed.
    We did our thing.
    Then watched as a cougar (no helmet, bold red hair, purple one-piece) in the company of a couple of older teens in gaper-gear proceeded to remove their. skis and do the slide down on butt & toss skis down thing.
    Good times.

Well, they were actually blowing snow on Wednesday at Alpine in the morning.
    Northstar opened Prosser groomer on Lookout, just the weekend before last, and it fuckin' kicked ass!
    (Pretty sure that's the fastest I've ever been on skis!!)
    It has been kind of cold, although think that's gonna change this weekend...
    Could be a lot worse...
    (the sound of a clock, ticking...)
    wow. this is a january first hand account of 4 groups of gapers. I always wondered who skied when it was shitty. Props to you my friend but MLK weekend and these current conditions AND being sunny offshore on almost the entire coast of Ca. and the baja it somewhat boggles the noodle.