Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Just bought my Kirkwood only pass, anyone know if Powhunter is running shit at the Towers again?

paycheck negotiations will determine how many cracked out powder chasing missions from SD this winter...

Fingers crossed. Either way, hoping to make a lap around Alpine, Squaw, and Kirkwood for about a week trip late winter or early spring. Hoping to get my dumb ass less lost on the Fingers at some pernt. Stoke levels are as high as the temperatures around here.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

WestCoastPDR Guest
    NOAA SAY'S WE ARE ALL IN HELL RIGHT NOW FOR SACRIFICING VIRGIN'S TO THE SNOW GOD'S
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...8#.VDw3ROl0yM8

328°F

164°C

Humidity55%
    Wind SpeedNW 1 MPH
    BarometerNA
    Dewpoint289°F (143°C)
    VisibilityNA
    Heat Index3701°F (2038°C)
    Last Update on 13 Oct 12:55 pm PDT
    Current conditions at
    STATELINE (STAN2)
    Lat: 38.96667°N Lon: 119.94778°W Elev: 6234ft.
    More Local Wx | 3 Day History | Mobile Weather
    Dagget Pass NV

If any Kirkwood mags have a ski lease that I could very quietly park my Truck Camper in the drive way at night only on the weekends only I would be willing to pay for such a service. I would be gone before you woke up and I wouldn't make a peep.

Thanks in advance.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    http://m.westhawaiitoday.com/communi...s-snow-tuesday

Isn't it a little early for snow in HI? Could this mean anything for us down the road?

You jinxed our October surprise and it's heading north. Way to go.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Shit. Totally unintentionally leap. I still need to get those October turns in.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastPDR View Post
    Shit. I still need to get those October turns in.
    you and me both.
    was 61 degrees in my house at 1 am this morning with no heater on and low 50's outside...currently 54.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

for any phish heads out there...

the Tahoe Art Haus & Cinema is gonna webcast this friday's eugene show (10/17).

expecting this to be quite fun...

here's the link:

http://tahoearthauscinema.com/shows/...streamed-live/

Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    you and me both.
    was 61 degrees in my house at 1 am this morning with no heater on and low 50's outside...currently 54.
    Maybe you have to look low...it was 33 at my house this morning.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Got my new amps mounted up with vipecs and my gf's board converted to a split...now we just need some snow...Attachment 159039
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (2).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	955.4 KB 
ID:	159040  

Just some quick spam: if anyones interested inna backcountry powder setup Im selling my 189 Armada Norwalks with Salomon Guardian bindings (size S fits up to 320mm) also have the custom Armada skins to match... skis and binders have about 30 days on them and the skins have less than 8 hours on snow
    Located in Kings Beach

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    for any phish heads out there...

the Tahoe Art Haus & Cinema is gonna webcast this friday's eugene show (10/17).

expecting this to be quite fun...

here's the link:

http://tahoearthauscinema.com/shows/...streamed-live/

That looks fun.
    Kinda pissed I miss tix for the Vegas stretch. >.<

i think that map that was posted on here a while ago has had its effect. kw will now guide you into thunder bowl for a mere $435. bet it will be fun out there this winter. and where is avalanche bowl? btw, if you were thinking of heading out, and need a guide, i only charge $400, so look me up. you will to sign a waiver of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    If any Kirkwood mags have a ski lease that I could very quietly park my Truck Camper in the drive way at night only on the weekends only I would be willing to pay for such a service. I would be gone before you woke up and I wouldn't make a peep.

Thanks in advance.
    Let me drive around south shore a bit and figure out which places sit empty most of the winter.

I'll send you an address and paypal email in a few days.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Squaw has filed for a permit to replace the Siberia chair next year, which will bring the total to 4 approved lift projects. Do you think it will really happen...or is it a unicorn?

http://unofficialalpine.com/?p=6131
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Got a ski lease off alpine meadows road on deer park road or something like that. 1st grade son and I got silver passes - went in w families from his school; money didn't really seem worth it but it's families from his school so we thought it would be a good social thing.
    1) is my best bet skiing alpine meadows? Usually ski squaw. Skied alpine one time ever, last year, it poured rain on us and was probably the worst day skiing of my life. I assume when it's on it's good but wondering if it's always worth skiing there or if venturing over to squaw is ever worth it. Going in blind here, need some reassurance. Note: my only goal is keeping my boy stoked on skiing.
    2) assuming you know that general location, and assuming I were to ski at squaw, is there any way to ski down to from kt22 or that area? Kind of looks like it on a map but can anyone confirm? This would not be w my son, just solo.
    3) related: is there any touring from that area? Meaning right there from the alpine meadows road? Again I've only been there once IN THE RAIN so idk much about the area.
    4) what are good touring areas near squaw? I only tour without my son, only do resorts with him. Haven't toured a ton near squaw but I'll be up in that area more often - done sugarbowl to squaw a couple times, castle peak etc. Then nothing south until tallac. Haven't researched much yet, hoping to get some suggestions first.

Thanks for any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    Got a ski lease off alpine meadows road on deer park road or something like that. 1st grade son and I got silver passes - went in w families from his school; money didn't really seem worth it but it's families from his school so we thought it would be a good social thing.
    1) is my best bet skiing alpine meadows? Usually ski squaw. Skied alpine one time ever, last year, it poured rain on us and was probably the worst day skiing of my life. I assume when it's on it's good but wondering if it's always worth skiing there or if venturing over to squaw is ever worth it. Going in blind here, need some reassurance. Note: my only goal is keeping my boy stoked on skiing.
    2) assuming you know that general location, and assuming I were to ski at squaw, is there any way to ski down to from kt22 or that area? Kind of looks like it on a map but can anyone confirm? This would not be w my son, just solo.
    3) related: is there any touring from that area? Meaning right there from the alpine meadows road? Again I've only been there once IN THE RAIN so idk much about the area.
    4) what are good touring areas near squaw? I only tour without my son, only do resorts with him. Haven't toured a ton near squaw but I'll be up in that area more often - done sugarbowl to squaw a couple times, castle peak etc. Then nothing south until tallac. Haven't researched much yet, hoping to get some suggestions first.

Thanks for any advice!
    Alpine is rad, but very different from Squaw. There's alpine people and there are Squaw people. The smart ones know that both kick ass but some days are way better at one or the other, trick is figuring it out.
    Yes, technically you can ski down from kt, but you better not let anyone see you and any slide you set off will probably bury you and the road under multiple feet of snow. Not a good idea.
    Only touring from the road would be a long slog to get to stuff you can get to real quick from the ski area. In most normal or better seasons, the stuff across 89 is in play, but low elevation, crappy exposure make it pretty inconsistent. Best bets for touring would generally be west shore or Donner.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    http://www.avalanche.org/data.php?da...1&sort=&id=150

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Alpine is rad, but very different from Squaw. There's alpine people and there are Squaw people. The smart ones know that both kick ass but some days are way better at one or the other, trick is figuring it out.
    Yes, technically you can ski down from kt, but you better not let anyone see you and any slide you set off will probably bury you and the road under multiple feet of snow. Not a good idea.
    Only touring from the road would be a long slog to get to stuff you can get to real quick from the ski area. In most normal or better seasons, the stuff across 89 is in play, but low elevation, crappy exposure make it pretty inconsistent. Best bets for touring would generally be west shore or Donner.
    To elaborate--the boundary at the top of KT--the obvious way to ski down to AM road--is on private land and is closed. If you get caught out there you will lose your pass at best. The terrain you would be skiing is also private land. There has been in a the last couple of years a connection that was open for short periods of time (I don't think it ever opened last year). The route involves both low angle downhill and some climbing and puts you at the top of Estelle Bowl if I recall correctly--advanced, off piste. All of Squaw's boundary is closed--which means touring into Granite Chief Wilderness from the top is also not allowed.

In general Squaw has better beginner terrain--up near the top unlike most areas. Alpine has better intermediate groomers. Alpine is more family friendly--easier to find your kids if they're skiing on their own and a mellower vibe (at least if it's been snowing). Alpine has some excellent in bounds sidecountry off the top. AM has an open boundary. I don't tour but you could tour out past the boundary towards the Twin Peaks area--in fact a lot of people go past the boundary in that area on powder days--a lot of them probably don't realize they are OB, and patrol does control the cornice. How much control work they do below I don't know. Theoretically you would be charged for a patrol evac if you get hurt OB. Squaw is better on storm days--Red Dog, Squaw Creek and KT--but be prepared for huge lines. Alpine's good stuff is often closed on storm days. Alpine has terrain on all four exposures so it's better in spring and spring like conditions (Junuary).
    There are Alpine people and Squaw people who would never deign to ski at the other area if they didn't have to and then there are those of us who like both areas. I've never seen the point of limiting oneself to one or the other--I guess it's a lifestyle statement--like Alpine vs tele vs snowboarding.

Id also throw out that Alpine has a bunch more inbounds hike to terrain than Squaw. Which allows for a few more hours of fresh lines. And the west shore is a short morning drive away if you are looking to tour. As long as it snows to the lake this year.

No need to limit yourself to one or the other, and the whole squaw people vs. alpine people is stupid (they're both great). It just depends on the conditions and time of year. A few years back I was staying all the way at the top of Alpine Meadows road (nearly walking distance to the lifts) and would still driver over to Squaw sometimes. Alpine is definitely easier / much simpler with the kids.

The open boundary policy is pretty nice and there's some great side country / BC terrain you can access from both Summit and Scott chairs. But as others have said, the west shore is not far away... and hopefully this year we'll get some lake level snow that sticks around to improve access.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    i think that map that was posted on here a while ago has had its effect. kw will now guide you into thunder bowl for a mere $435. bet it will be fun out there this winter. and where is avalanche bowl? btw, if you were thinking of heading out, and need a guide, i only charge $400, so look me up. you will to sign a waiver of course.
    what map? did someone post my map and then delete it?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

One of the advantages of Alpine is the easy drop off at 10 minute parking and the Kids Zone. When the kids need a break, one parent heads inside and the other parents ski. If you trade off every few runs, you can get a fair number of summit runs in before it is your turn to sit in the lodge. When the kids are done for the day, one parent heads home and the others get another hour of runs in.
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en