Page 79 of 106 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2628
    Alright, missed that sign, but I guess that means sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Naets View Post
    Ended up at northstar after all ( had to drive my buddy with the kids). Think there is about 10inch fresh, but total lack of base leads to all potentially interesting stuff being closed. With that in mind: how sensitive are they around here about ducking ropes?
    They're sensitive, Northstar and Heavenly will write you up and make you go to this thing similar to driving school if you are caught ducking the ropes into close areas inbounds. Kirkwood from my experience doesn't care. Ignoring a closure sign and going into a close area with no ropes get you a warning and I think two warnings get you a temporary suspension or ski school thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Any reports from Sugar Bowl today? Frank Naets, you make it out? Thinking of using one of my two days on my Squalpine pass there tomorrow.
    Well. All skied out now. Maybe some snow overnight would make it worth a trip. An honest 16 to 18 inches all around today.

anybody have details on redeeming one of the squalpine day passes w/ a sugarbowl season pass? can i simply go to the special tix office at alpine or squaw?

Alpine. Actual winter was there! Best day of my paltry season easily.

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    They're sensitive, Northstar and Heavenly will write you up and make you go to this thing similar to driving school if you are caught ducking the ropes into close areas inbounds. Kirkwood from my experience doesn't care. Ignoring a closure sign and going into a close area with no ropes get you a warning and I think two warnings get you a temporary suspension or ski school thingy.
    Then you have been lucky at KW. They tend to care, as those signs are typically flipped due to avy control measures. Never heard of the ski school thing at KW. Sometimes you may get a warning, sometimes you may get you passed clipped.

OTOH, KW rarely has terrain closed due to low coverage in the same was N* may. Early season, they will sometimes have a temporary boundary rope that you are not supposed to duck. But not specific runs within the open boundary, if that makes sense.

And finally, if you feel a need to duck ropes to get the goods, buy gear, get trained and venture out where there are no ropes. Ski Patrol's job is hard enough not having to peel beatered body off the rubble.

More importantly, how hammered did the side country get hit this afternoon??

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Looney View Post
    Alpine. Actual winter was there! Best day of my paltry season easily.
    Amen. Shit was deep. Finally got my long-awaited snow beard. And I'm happy it was on a Saturday. I got to ride with a few of my buddies from the Bay Area who only get to ride weekends and they finally scored. It was cool seeing everyone stoked, hooting an hollering. Yeah, weekend lines suck, but morale was high! Thanks for the farewell February. Last season Feb 27 and 28 were both great days too. Lets go March!

Kirkwood was *way* better than the 7 inches they reported. I'd say there were wind-blown areas that were knee deep, but there wasn't much wind with this storm at all so that doesn't make much sense. The backside was really good and still not tracked out by the end of the day, with the steady snowfall filling in tracks.

On the whole KW closed discussion - what's up with those trees on the backside far, far skier's right where they have the closed signs but no ropes? There were plenty of tracks going right through there anyway...

14/?? The OFFICIAL Tahoe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Kirkwood was *way* better than the 7 inches they reported. I'd say there were wind-blown areas that were knee deep, but there wasn't much wind with this storm at all so that doesn't make much sense. The backside was really good and still not tracked out by the end of the day, with the steady snowfall filling in tracks.

On the whole KW closed discussion - what's up with those trees on the backside far, far skier's right where they have the closed signs but no ropes? There were plenty of tracks going right through there anyway...
    You are probably coming into the boundary there. Signs up higher but they don't have that whole boundary roped (or any other). Signs are generally placed where the logical entry point is (up higher).

So we were heading to KW this morning and I'm bitching about the fact that there's about 4" of fresh on the ground near the entrance sign. "I wonder where the 7" is?" I say. My wife is quiet for a minute and says "Just shut up and ski, why don't you!".

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    anybody have details on redeeming one of the squalpine day passes w/ a sugarbowl season pass? can i simply go to the special tix office at alpine or squaw?
    Yeah, just bring your pass to special tickets. Or an ID if you forget your pass.

^^thanks

Lookin at the kwood snowstake cam it doesn't look like they got the heavy band that unloaded in Meyers from 1-4. Is that thing working?

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Lookin at the kwood snowstake cam it doesn't look like they got the heavy band that unloaded in Meyers from 1-4. Is that thing working?
    It was snowing fairly hard there from 1 on... had about 3 inches or so on my car when I left at 3:45...
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-01-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Came down hard today on Rose. Almost a foot on the car by the time we got back. Some soft slab out there. Watch out tomorrow as it may not have consolidated yet and sun on top could make it more top heavy on east.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Skied Sugar Bowl all day-- definitely can attest to the 24" up top reported by the end of the day. In certain spots it had to be even a few inches deeper then that. Overall was a pretty fun day, except there is absolutely no adhesion between the new snow and the crusty icey boiler plate underneath causing all the new snow on steeper stuff to sluff off every turn. Crow's and Judah opening tomorrow-- Crow's should be good!

Today was pretty amazing. Knee high in areas in the back country. Ankle high in lots of the front side. palisades bowl was not deep enough (east facing) but eagle bowl was starting to fill in nicely.

On that note, ten people (as stated by a patroller who was having a moment of honesty) "poached" eagle bowl this morning while patrol was throwing shots into the bowl. The charges went off and those individuals were caught and "interviewed" they claim they saw it was open on a sign. No one knows which sign they were claiming to have seen but the gate sign was set to closed. Maybe the board up top of The Reut had it marked as open in anticipation? Anyhow, no passes pulled but it could have been fatal and sobering to think about. I don't know that the story is fully accurate, but that is what I was told and parts were corroborated by lift-o's on The Reut.

At Kirkwood with an assortment of friends tomorrow. Everyone trying to take runs with me, but I am hoping to get in some slack country, might even fancy it all up with a second day of snow beard.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

welp. I picked the wrong weekend to drive to Hood. The 18 they were calling for must have gone south!
    live the life.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    was thinking the same thing. the wood may or may not be all that tomorrow but the backcountry in the area should have all 12+ ready to go for tomorrow. out at dawn
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Then you have been lucky at KW. They tend to care, as those signs are typically flipped due to avy control measures. Never heard of the ski school thing at KW. Sometimes you may get a warning, sometimes you may get you passed clipped.

OTOH, KW rarely has terrain closed due to low coverage in the same was N* may. Early season, they will sometimes have a temporary boundary rope that you are not supposed to duck. But not specific runs within the open boundary, if that makes sense.

And finally, if you feel a need to duck ropes to get the goods, buy gear, get trained and venture out where there are no ropes. Ski Patrol's job is hard enough not having to peel beatered body off the rubble.

Not too bad. However on the dangberg side i was surprised at how much everything that even faces the sun a little bit had burnt down to the ground so your limited to only aspects on the north facing sides of the gullies. i'd guess ten tracks total but I left at 1
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Kirkwood reporting a total of 14 inches now - which seems about right. That poaching story explains why the liftie said to us the first time we loaded 10 - "DO NOT go to Eagle Bowl."

Squaw is at 27" now, which based on our deck at 6100 feet seems... low, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Opps, I forgot to mention that was the boundary lines I was referring to at kirkwood. Poaching Kirkwood inbounds closure signs typically means you are skiing into a war field with patrol doing control work. Which I am sure they will get you cut for.

Got to hope valley before daybreak but backed off rlp due to bad viz and there appeared to be only 6" on the ground at chain control. Ended up punching up p-house on Luther where there was a good foot. Skied bottomless with fall line but scratchy noisy anytime u traversed or stopped.

Stayed home this weekend but probably headed to Kirkwood on Wednesday to ski West Shore etc to maximize my day if anyone is around...I'd love to poke around Thunder Bowl and the Spur but my gut says to wait for at least another storm.

Here's my video and report from Telluride last week....right before they got 4 feet of pow pow

http://snowbrains.com/fishing-fabulous-telluride/

I'll have another from Silverton Mountain up later today...

Touring tomorrow... Castle Peak or Donner Pass seem like the good bet, or maybe Silver Peak?