Page 79 of 106 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2632
  1. #1951
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,661
    I went to SLC, where I skied boilerplate crap at Snowbird today.

    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  2. #1952
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I went to SLC, where I skied boilerplate crap at Snowbird today.

    You're welcome.
    Eh!? I was there Wed to Wed and it was cold, powdery, and chalky all over the mountain. Plus didn't it snow like 7" yesterday?

  3. #1953
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Naets View Post
    Ended up at northstar after all ( had to drive my buddy with the kids). Think there is about 10inch fresh, but total lack of base leads to all potentially interesting stuff being closed. With that in mind: how sensitive are they around here about ducking ropes?
    Can't say from personal experience but we're talking about a resort that has a sign announcing how many passes have been pulled for the season.

  4. #1954
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    88
    Alright, missed that sign, but I guess that means sensitive

  5. #1955
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Naets View Post
    Ended up at northstar after all ( had to drive my buddy with the kids). Think there is about 10inch fresh, but total lack of base leads to all potentially interesting stuff being closed. With that in mind: how sensitive are they around here about ducking ropes?
    They're sensitive, Northstar and Heavenly will write you up and make you go to this thing similar to driving school if you are caught ducking the ropes into close areas inbounds. Kirkwood from my experience doesn't care. Ignoring a closure sign and going into a close area with no ropes get you a warning and I think two warnings get you a temporary suspension or ski school thingy.

  6. #1956
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Any reports from Sugar Bowl today? Frank Naets, you make it out? Thinking of using one of my two days on my Squalpine pass there tomorrow.
    Well. All skied out now. Maybe some snow overnight would make it worth a trip. An honest 16 to 18 inches all around today.

  7. #1957
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,119
    anybody have details on redeeming one of the squalpine day passes w/ a sugarbowl season pass? can i simply go to the special tix office at alpine or squaw?

  8. #1958
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Loakal
    Posts
    520
    Alpine. Actual winter was there! Best day of my paltry season easily.

  9. #1959
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,036
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    They're sensitive, Northstar and Heavenly will write you up and make you go to this thing similar to driving school if you are caught ducking the ropes into close areas inbounds. Kirkwood from my experience doesn't care. Ignoring a closure sign and going into a close area with no ropes get you a warning and I think two warnings get you a temporary suspension or ski school thingy.
    Then you have been lucky at KW. They tend to care, as those signs are typically flipped due to avy control measures. Never heard of the ski school thing at KW. Sometimes you may get a warning, sometimes you may get you passed clipped.

    OTOH, KW rarely has terrain closed due to low coverage in the same was N* may. Early season, they will sometimes have a temporary boundary rope that you are not supposed to duck. But not specific runs within the open boundary, if that makes sense.

    And finally, if you feel a need to duck ropes to get the goods, buy gear, get trained and venture out where there are no ropes. Ski Patrol's job is hard enough not having to peel beatered body off the rubble.

    More importantly, how hammered did the side country get hit this afternoon??

  10. #1960
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach Looney View Post
    Alpine. Actual winter was there! Best day of my paltry season easily.
    Amen. Shit was deep. Finally got my long-awaited snow beard. And I'm happy it was on a Saturday. I got to ride with a few of my buddies from the Bay Area who only get to ride weekends and they finally scored. It was cool seeing everyone stoked, hooting an hollering. Yeah, weekend lines suck, but morale was high! Thanks for the farewell February. Last season Feb 27 and 28 were both great days too. Lets go March!


  11. #1961
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,287
    Kirkwood was *way* better than the 7 inches they reported. I'd say there were wind-blown areas that were knee deep, but there wasn't much wind with this storm at all so that doesn't make much sense. The backside was really good and still not tracked out by the end of the day, with the steady snowfall filling in tracks.

    On the whole KW closed discussion - what's up with those trees on the backside far, far skier's right where they have the closed signs but no ropes? There were plenty of tracks going right through there anyway...

  12. #1962
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    996

    14/?? The OFFICIAL Tahoe Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Kirkwood was *way* better than the 7 inches they reported. I'd say there were wind-blown areas that were knee deep, but there wasn't much wind with this storm at all so that doesn't make much sense. The backside was really good and still not tracked out by the end of the day, with the steady snowfall filling in tracks.

    On the whole KW closed discussion - what's up with those trees on the backside far, far skier's right where they have the closed signs but no ropes? There were plenty of tracks going right through there anyway...
    You are probably coming into the boundary there. Signs up higher but they don't have that whole boundary roped (or any other). Signs are generally placed where the logical entry point is (up higher).

  13. #1963
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    So we were heading to KW this morning and I'm bitching about the fact that there's about 4" of fresh on the ground near the entrance sign. "I wonder where the 7" is?" I say. My wife is quiet for a minute and says "Just shut up and ski, why don't you!".

  14. #1964
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    anybody have details on redeeming one of the squalpine day passes w/ a sugarbowl season pass? can i simply go to the special tix office at alpine or squaw?
    Yeah, just bring your pass to special tickets. Or an ID if you forget your pass.

  15. #1965
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,119
    ^^thanks

  16. #1966
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,788
    Lookin at the kwood snowstake cam it doesn't look like they got the heavy band that unloaded in Meyers from 1-4. Is that thing working?

  17. #1967
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,287
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Lookin at the kwood snowstake cam it doesn't look like they got the heavy band that unloaded in Meyers from 1-4. Is that thing working?
    It was snowing fairly hard there from 1 on... had about 3 inches or so on my car when I left at 3:45...
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 02-28-2015 at 11:09 PM.

  18. #1968
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,413
    Came down hard today on Rose. Almost a foot on the car by the time we got back. Some soft slab out there. Watch out tomorrow as it may not have consolidated yet and sun on top could make it more top heavy on east.

    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  19. #1969
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Flat Middle West
    Posts
    564
    Skied Sugar Bowl all day-- definitely can attest to the 24" up top reported by the end of the day. In certain spots it had to be even a few inches deeper then that. Overall was a pretty fun day, except there is absolutely no adhesion between the new snow and the crusty icey boiler plate underneath causing all the new snow on steeper stuff to sluff off every turn. Crow's and Judah opening tomorrow-- Crow's should be good!

  20. #1970
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,132
    Today was pretty amazing. Knee high in areas in the back country. Ankle high in lots of the front side. palisades bowl was not deep enough (east facing) but eagle bowl was starting to fill in nicely.

    On that note, ten people (as stated by a patroller who was having a moment of honesty) "poached" eagle bowl this morning while patrol was throwing shots into the bowl. The charges went off and those individuals were caught and "interviewed" they claim they saw it was open on a sign. No one knows which sign they were claiming to have seen but the gate sign was set to closed. Maybe the board up top of The Reut had it marked as open in anticipation? Anyhow, no passes pulled but it could have been fatal and sobering to think about. I don't know that the story is fully accurate, but that is what I was told and parts were corroborated by lift-o's on The Reut.

    At Kirkwood with an assortment of friends tomorrow. Everyone trying to take runs with me, but I am hoping to get in some slack country, might even fancy it all up with a second day of snow beard.

  21. #1971
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Fran/x Boston/x aspen/x stowe
    Posts
    375
    welp. I picked the wrong weekend to drive to Hood. The 18 they were calling for must have gone south!
    live the life.

  22. #1972
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,241
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Lookin at the kwood snowstake cam it doesn't look like they got the heavy band that unloaded in Meyers from 1-4. Is that thing working?
    was thinking the same thing. the wood may or may not be all that tomorrow but the backcountry in the area should have all 12+ ready to go for tomorrow. out at dawn
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  23. #1973
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Then you have been lucky at KW. They tend to care, as those signs are typically flipped due to avy control measures. Never heard of the ski school thing at KW. Sometimes you may get a warning, sometimes you may get you passed clipped.

    OTOH, KW rarely has terrain closed due to low coverage in the same was N* may. Early season, they will sometimes have a temporary boundary rope that you are not supposed to duck. But not specific runs within the open boundary, if that makes sense.

    And finally, if you feel a need to duck ropes to get the goods, buy gear, get trained and venture out where there are no ropes. Ski Patrol's job is hard enough not having to peel beatered body off the rubble.

    More importantly, how hammered did the side country get hit this afternoon??
    Not too bad. However on the dangberg side i was surprised at how much everything that even faces the sun a little bit had burnt down to the ground so your limited to only aspects on the north facing sides of the gullies. i'd guess ten tracks total but I left at 1
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  24. #1974
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,287
    Kirkwood reporting a total of 14 inches now - which seems about right. That poaching story explains why the liftie said to us the first time we loaded 10 - "DO NOT go to Eagle Bowl."

    Squaw is at 27" now, which based on our deck at 6100 feet seems... low, actually.

  25. #1975
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Then you have been lucky at KW. They tend to care, as those signs are typically flipped due to avy control measures. Never heard of the ski school thing at KW. Sometimes you may get a warning, sometimes you may get you passed clipped.

    OTOH, KW rarely has terrain closed due to low coverage in the same was N* may. Early season, they will sometimes have a temporary boundary rope that you are not supposed to duck. But not specific runs within the open boundary, if that makes sense.

    And finally, if you feel a need to duck ropes to get the goods, buy gear, get trained and venture out where there are no ropes. Ski Patrol's job is hard enough not having to peel beatered body off the rubble.

    More importantly, how hammered did the side country get hit this afternoon??
    Opps, I forgot to mention that was the boundary lines I was referring to at kirkwood. Poaching Kirkwood inbounds closure signs typically means you are skiing into a war field with patrol doing control work. Which I am sure they will get you cut for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •