Page 82 of 106 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2628
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Nice.

How is that particular spot? I've looked at it from across the way and considered it. But it seems a little far for the vertical offerings.
    The approach from the road is actually very moderate. The snow was amazing on the north aspect and I would imagine it will be pretty good for a bit longer. There's lots of steep untracked sections and well spaced trees with a few little pillows to bounce off if you're into that. Although not a lot of vert, it's easy to hop on the skin track back up for multiple laps. The views looking south from the top are worth the effort. Bring a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I really wish this ice will disappear but it may be awhile.

The resort skied well, fun wind buff off 10 and great cut up pow in Oops in Poops on 6. Definitely pockets of ice hiding around the hill so be careful out there.
    Well... this makes me feel a hell of a lot better. I don't know KW all that well but I've been trying to make a real effort to step up my game this season and there were a few chutes I dropped into and could barely side-slip my way down to save my life. Some of the ice I encountered was truly east-coast-style un-edgeable, and it gets in your head because even if the snow looks good I was still skeptical and felt like I couldn't trust it.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Well... this makes me feel a hell of a lot better. I don't know KW all that well but I've been trying to make a real effort to step up my game this season and there were a few chutes I dropped into and could barely side-slip my way down to save my life. Some of the ice I encountered was truly east-coast-style un-edgeable, and it gets in your head because even if the snow looks good I was still skeptical and felt like I couldn't trust it.
    Makes you feel better, Saturday I dropped in on what seemed like soft snow along the cornice face to the right of 6. Instead I got bullet proof ice that took me down before I could even figure out what had happen..

Fuck. I must be awesome. Never really hit any ice at KW on Sunday. But then again, I was placing close attention to the direction the snow was blowing. But all these reports makes me glad I skied Thunder Right and not the main bowl. I've been I there once before when the snow was sliding down to ice and it was about as far from fun as you get.

this is surprising. we did the cp to kirkwood tour on tuesday and never encountered any ice on faces that are normally icy. even the final ridge heading up to round top/sisters saddle was powder. it's the first time i've ever been able to skin all the way to life on the edge. in fact, i've always called the spot where bunny is hopping 'the hillary step' because you're usually trying to gain the ridge on bulletproof ice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carsonwood-108.jpg 
Views:	965 
Size:	338.7 KB 
ID:	164821  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Holy crap. When I first saw that pic, I just assumed you must have been some where else. That is kind of amazing. Maybe that bunny is awesome too.

A few pics from yesterday...

Mt Rose BC on Monday was Deeeep

Squaw on Tuesday wasnt bad either

^^^. Nice!!!!

I'm coming to town next storm cycle & bringing a few very capable friends. Looking forward to checking out mt rose and it's sidecountry.

Some pics from the last few days. A few of them are from the east side, but coverage was better up here so most of our skiing has been local

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1892.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	164849

Name:	IMG_1900.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1,015.9 KB 
ID:	164850

Name:	IMG_1902.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	164851

Name:	IMG_1919.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	164852

Name:	IMG_1921.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	164853

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	164854

Name:	IMG_1940.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	164855

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	164856

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	164857

Anybody ski Squaw today or yesterday? Likely headed that way tomorrow. Hoping to find some chalk off KT and Headwall.

now i know why the ice was there wednesday but not tuesday
    these were tuesday below the face on the way to the wood that is almost always ice up high and windblown below

there was no sign of these turns today, so the east wind came tuesday night
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carsonwood-239.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	164863  

Squaw was good yesterday, ollie lady the best.

Rhalves Bonzai today and tomorrow at Kirkwood. Sugar Bowl for the finals next weekend. Should be a hoot.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Roller derby on skis. I gotta make it to one of those just to watch it live.

I'll be around on Sunday with the kids but alone a few hours between Mini Jets and Ski School to take a few turns.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I was at the top of Hell's Delight last week just to get a peek and the ice was so hard there was no edging into it.
    Sketch shit. I got the hell away from it, summing it up as 'ice slide of death to rocks then trees.'
    First time through there, I slid out on my second turn....getting it together just in time to cowboy over the rocks.

Anyone been up to or around the RoundTop area in the last couple of days? Is it still good out there -- thinking of heading this weekend. Would have been out last weekend but my binders were in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    First time through there, I slid out on my second turn....getting it together just in time to cowboy over the rocks.
    The one time I met up with you on Saturday, I watched you lose your edges halfway down, then slide the rest of it on your back, head first, laughing maniacally. I'd seen enough -- hippie pow laps in Sentinel seemed more in line with my self-preservation instincts after that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeShredder View Post
    Anyone been up to or around the RoundTop area in the last couple of days? Is it still good out there -- thinking of heading this weekend. Would have been out last weekend but my binders were in the shop.
    we were there tuesday and it was as good as it gets. there has been a wind event and very warm temps since then however.

Cool thanks for the intel. Probably some wind buff .. hopefully not a full on melt freeze cycle up in roundtop .. though it should be pretty warm on the weekend ... spring skiing maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    ...seemed more in line with my self-preservation instincts after that
    Ha! That doesn't sound like you!
    Remembering you dragging us around Squaw a few years back on a hella crusty/icy day showing us rocks to jump off!
    Anyway...(I thought Banzai was Sat/Sun not Fri/Sat?)
    Anyway...We should be at KW both days this weekend and staying overnight, for a change, so will be up for any (mild) shenanigans I expect.
    Hell Yeah!

Have phun kids! Scruffy Skittles....
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeShredder View Post
    Cool thanks for the intel. Probably some wind buff .. hopefully not a full on melt freeze cycle up in roundtop .. though it should be pretty warm on the weekend ... spring skiing maybe?
    after a storm, as long as each day is warmer than the previous, each day will have a time slot where the previous days' sun crust is melted off.
    this does not apply to wind fuckage however. nor does it apply to tree zones

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    this does not apply to wind fuckage however. nor does it apply to tree zones
    "Wind fuckage".......I've yet to hear that verbiage.......and I like it.