Page 233 of 385 FirstFirst ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 9618
    Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Somehow I doubt those safety features would survive until lunch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Have we talked about Lancelot's yet? I've heard you can't really get up anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8o2c4BKnFk

i watched a fingernail deflect a table saw blade, you guys are worrying too much. just keep your fingernails between the wood and the blade

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Nothing would get done. I take safety pretty seriously but the best tool you have for that is your brain.
    I remember working with guys who removed the guard on skillsaws but then would have to wait for a the blade to stop before they could set it down, unless they or someone else forgot. Watching a saw ride across the subfloor is funny but in less of a haha way compared to a belt sander. Real galaxy brain shit. And yeah, I regularly pinned the guard but taking it off is fucking dumb.

So is buying a new non-sawstop table saw.

Maybe when the 2 Dewalt's I have die but the answer your question...because I don't but my fingers anywhere near the blade, I understand how the machine works, it's is property adjusted, I know what the redflag cuts look like, I always read the board before I cut etc...

A TGR jobsite would be a site to behold. No tall ladders, Sawstops only, guards on everything, so much PPE that everyone looks ready for battle, fine German hand tools everywhere, no pickup trucks...just Euro min vans.

Nothing would get done. I take safety pretty seriously but the best tool you have for that is your brain.
    Sawstop makes an open frame "contractors" model--like that Delta Model 10. Looks like it comes with a wheel and handle system so it could be pushed up a ramp into a truck. They also make a jobsite saw. Aside from the brake they are really well made and thought out.

I don't need no minivan. I can carry all the lumber and plywood I need on the roof rack of a Subaru--a lot more than the manufacturer says I can. No sharp turns , speeding or tailgating.

Have we talked about Lancelot's yet? I've heard you can't really get up anymore.
    I've carved many a log with a Lancelot. Once I had a team of 4 guys set up with them carving saddles in the top logs of walls for the log floor joists and rafters.

They can definitely fuck someone up, but at 10k rpm they act more like a sanding disc than one might think. Maybe I can sell the ones I still have on eBay...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Had to google that one. Looks hungry for flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8o2c4BKnFk
    my favorite thing about that is the YouTube “recommendation” for the video on how to make a homemade version the amount of fuckig stupid YouTube videos (“use your drill as a router”) is astounding.

I have a real Lancelot, a knockoff , and a sanding disc and some other versions. Hollows stuff out real quick, not bad to use, but easy to see how you could fuck something especially putting it down.

Also, doing anything angle grinder related without proper gloves and protection is stupid. I've seen wheels explode very randomly a few times, and I don't have much time under my belt with them. With angle grinders it's more "WHEN will this disc self-destruct" instead of "IF this..."

I once used a Lancelot to undercut the bottom log on the log house for installation of a hardwood floor. You better but I had the guard on and chainsaw chaps and gloves.

re: angle grinders...buy good disc, change them often.

mini rant: back when I had guys, one of my rules was "I see you using a dull anything...your all but fired". I told them I pay for pencils, razor knife blades, saw blades, fein blades drill bits, sawzall blades and you get paid my the hour. I see smoke coming off your work, I'm gonna come and ask you why.

You can learn a lot about a carpenter by just looking at their pencil.

Lol. “Sharp” for home work is “dull” in many other professions.

Is this one of those tradesman euphemisms?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Is this one of those tradesman euphemisms?
    What you do in the 3rd floor bathroom is your business. I won't judge.

I once used a Lancelot to undercut the bottom log on the log house for installation of a hardwood floor. You better but I had the guard on and chainsaw chaps and gloves.

re: angle grinders...buy good disc, change them often.

mini rant: back when I had guys, one of my rules was "I see you using a dull anything...your all but fired". I told them I pay for pencils, razor knife blades, saw blades, fein blades drill bits, sawzall blades and you get paid my the hour. I see smoke coming off your work, I'm gonna come and ask you why.

You wouldn't be able to look at my pencil because I wouldn't be able to find it. But I suppose you'd fire me for that.

You could try a mirror.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Anyone have experience with Renewal by Andersen for replacement? Both from their sales process and the end result?

I chatted with the Anderson sales/referral guy at Ace this weekend and figured "why not" to at least get some info and numbers. A consultant is coming tomorrow to give me a quote. We have issues with 7 of the 10 windows that need repair or replacement, but we're stuck waiting on a Milgard warranty claim that the previous owner filed before selling to us. Assuming Milgard says no, I need to spend some money and Anderson has $350 off per window for Black Friday.

Anyways, now Anderson has been calling, raking my contact info and trying to pin down having my wife there; feels a bit like a timeshare pitch, but maybe I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Anyone have experience with Renewal by Andersen for replacement? Both from their sales process and the end result?

I chatted with the Anderson sales/referral guy at Ace this weekend and figured "why not" to at least get some info and numbers. A consultant is coming tomorrow to give me a quote. We have issues with 7 of the 10 windows that need repair or replacement, but we're stuck waiting on a Milgard warranty claim that the previous owner filed before selling to us. Assuming Milgard says no, I need to spend some money and Anderson has $350 off per window for Black Friday.

Anyways, now Anderson has been calling, raking my contact info and trying to pin down having my wife there; feels a bit like a timeshare pitch, but maybe I'm wrong?
    You're gonna get a timeshare pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're gonna get a timeshare pitch.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 313
Size:  1.03 MB

Won't comment on their window quality but their marketing is pretty shady.

Get mailers all the time saying someone in your neighborhood is getting windows installed..., faked handwritten notes saying we were in your neighborhood, salespeople show up at your door, etc.

And no, no in my my neighborhood is using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    What kind of foam are you using?
    I don't know. I'll ask my guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    All the talk lately about sewer drains and roots had me wondering when I was going to have to deal with it. Been in the house over 20 years and the house is 80 years old with a smoke bush right over the sewer line. End of the week there was a crew setup on the street and a flyer on our door. Looks like the city is going to clean and line the sewers including the lines from the house to the street. I guess our taxes are paying off. Attachment 392649
    Your laterals aren't getting done. Just the mainline in the street. It's not typical for the utility to own the lateral. The city I work for, we own lateral from the cleanout at the property line to the main. Where I live, the property owner owns the lateral all the way to the main (this is more common).

Pella delivered windows in 10 weeks as expected in the middle of this shit storm. A week after the order was placed they set a delivery date for 9 weeks later and they delivered. My other window supplier has been a HUGE PIA.

And they are very good windows, based on my 30 years of using their products in 2 homes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Won't comment on their window quality but their marketing is pretty shady.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post

Get mailers all the time saying someone in your neighborhood is getting windows installed..., faked handwritten notes saying we were in your neighborhood, salespeople show up at your door, etc.

And no, no in my my neighborhood is using them.
    Renewal by Anderson is a direct-to-consumer program.
    It is unavailable to GC's or architects.

I have no idea how they are structured re: sales or commissions or such. I did have an owner use them on a remodel because that was the existing brand/model in the house. She had a satisfying installation. They took care of everything as a retrofit application.

Don’t waste your time they quoted us $42,000 for 14 windows, they do the install too but the contractor’s they use are suspect. The windows needed to be installed from the outside so the interior trim work wouldn’t be affected, watching them measure the windows I could see problems already. The other challenge is that the windows are in CMU type masonry built in 1920 so there isn’t any typical framing. Fortunately I can do this type of work, we ended up getting Andersen 100 windows from a distributor for $8,000 delivered plus another $1,000 for materials

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

In addition to the hard sell, Andersen and Pella were really expensive despite the perpetual sales. I was really impressed with the local companies we talked to. Their prices were reasonable (Pella was cheaper through them than Pella CD), they work with several brands so have a lot of options, and they do the install whereas Pella and Andersen used subcontractors. Also super helpful and no hard sell. Worth looking into.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Copy that guys, thanks for the insights. I’m by no means set on giving them my business, but figured I’d get numbers since I live in a place that can be challenging to connect with contractors.

Some neighbors with the same window layout as we have did their whole set for $10k from the local contractor supply store, so that’s been my baseline.

I also have a old friend here who was/is the Pella guy for the Western Slope. Need to reach out to him as well.

Thanks again dudes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I also have a old friend here who was/is the Pella guy for the Western Slope. Need to reach out to him as well.
    I've been doing quite a few window replacement jobs lately. Insurance has been paying for entire new window packs due to the East Troublesome Fire. If one seal is blown, it seems that because the new windows won't match, gotta go all new.

It seems like the best model is to pick you windows through a window supplier and then either have them price the install, use one of their suggested contractors or use a carpenter of your choice.

I don't know if your buddy is out of the Steamboat Area (Western Slope means different thinks to different people...like upstate...to me it is West of Rifle, South of 40, North of Mont-rose...so not Craig (that's NW CO) and not Ridgeway (That's The San Juans))...but yeah, I know that guy. His crews seem like they do pretty good.