Page 153 of 385 FirstFirst ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 9603
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Drive to Floor and Decor, purchase tile. Life goes on. Delivery dates for out of stock products are guesses right now. Everyone is lying to everyone. If you can't touch it, assume is doesn't exist.

We're gonna wait it out, F&D doesn't have what we need sadly.

The Jews used to put the Christmas carp in the bathtub.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The Jews have Christmas now?

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Don't forget the toilet.
    Every shower is a toilet but not every toilet is a shower. Just the ones you guys installed bidets in last March when the TP was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The Jews have Christmas now?
    A lot of us do, sort of. It's hard to avoid. But we don't have Christmas carp, which I'd never heard of. I guess that's a central european thing. We have gefilte fish though. Some like it sweet (I do) and some not sweet. Like Ginger vs Mary Ann. You don't need a bathtub to make either one.

Ginger or MaryAnn in the tub?
    Last edited by powdrhound; 04-08-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    No, the tub is what makes it a full bath. Tub/shower combo = full. Shower stall (no capability to fill and soak) = 3/4 bath.

Oy, building code semantics. This is what my life has come to.
    Guys, Guys! Lets compromise and call it a 4/5th's Bath? Okay?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

That lady ain't got no legs.

Tell us more.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Ginger or MaryAnn in the tub?
    Why just one?

Does anyone have recommendations on popcorn ceilings? My old house had them and I either scraped them off or skim coated over them. Needless to say, I don’t want to tackle that job again.

House is built in 1973, so there’s potential for asbestos. Has anyone had a contractor either remove or cover them? Any info you’d be willing to share would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diggins1712 View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations on popcorn ceilings? My old house had them and I either scraped them off or skim coated over them. Needless to say, I don’t want to tackle that job again.

House is built in 1973, so there’s potential for asbestos. Has anyone had a contractor either remove or cover them? Any info you’d be willing to share would be appreciated!

Do like we did and just leave them?

I figure I'll just stay in this house until they come back into style, then DUMP it.

Only sorta kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by diggins1712 View Post

Yeah, nasty job scraping that shit off. Sheetrock over it if you can get away with it.

Get your vapor barriers right, folks. My new neighbors have been sick since they moved in 6 months ago. Turns out the remodel done by the last owner got the barriers wrong; new guy is gutting the place down to studs to get rid of mold. And I don’t think insurance covers mold due to shitty non-code remodels.

If scrape, seal shit up real well(including yourself) and rent an airless sprayer and wet it over and over. Scrape directly into a 5 g pail held directly below where you are scraping. Shit should scrape off fairly easy with proper wettage.
    Hanging over is probably safer, but can be a bitch too. Popcorn crushes under fasteners, which is sometimes accompanied by screw popping though facepaper of dwall. It can look wavy too because the popcorn won't crush between joist/rafter. Also have seen a lot of blown seams when this is done. Too much movement.

I used a hudson with warm water and dawn soap. I think I still have that shit in my hair.

Head socks go a long way here
    And wtf is a hudson?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Head socks go a long way here
    And wtf is a hudson?
    Name:  Z1rN90qcpEx_.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  14.5 KB

That works too, just not near as fast as airless

If scrape, seal shit up real well(including yourself) and rent an airless sprayer and wet it over and over. Scrape directly into a 5 g pail held directly below where you are scraping. Shit should scrape off fairly easy with proper wettage.
    Hanging over is probably safer, but can be a bitch too. Popcorn crushes under fasteners, which is sometimes accompanied by screw popping though facepaper of dwall. It can look wavy too because the popcorn won't crush between joist/rafter. Also have seen a lot of blown seams when this is done. Too much movement.
    If you were so inclined, would just removing the dry wall entirely be easier? Especially if you needed it done or wanted to open it up? I've contemplated this but I'm pretty sure I have some blow-in insulation overtop which crushed my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    If you were so inclined, would just removing the dry wall entirely be easier? Especially if you needed it done or wanted to open it up? I've contemplated this but I'm pretty sure I have some blow-in insulation overtop which crushed my dreams.
    It won't be any less mess or less of a problem if it has asbestos in it (but the risk of it being in there might be overstated, I've tested for asbestos three times and not found it, despite being in the epicenter of asbestos country).

But what are you going to do exactly? You can't generally remove a ceiling and the insulation above it without a pretty comprehensive plan. And if you have that plan, I doubt you'd be asking this question.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    And if you have that plan, I doubt you'd be asking this question.
    Correct. Just noodling. I have a very old part of my house - 2 rooms w/ popcorn ceilings. The room in question has lathe n plaster and concrete walls. I suspect my popcorn ceiling drywall is actually covering lathe and plaster but I haven't bothered to inspect. It is all crap.

Anyway - when I'm day dreaming, I wonder how far I could/should take an improvement there? Just scrape the popcorn? (after testing) Or go a little bigger and tear down the dry wall and consider opening it up & get some taller ceilings - again no plan but I know there's a fairly large attic space - with blow in insulation. What stops me there - is my incompetence: blow-in clean up looks daunting and expertise would be needed to see what the framing would allow.

I've considered putting something over it like tongue n groove or similar just to make it more visually appealing.

Rootsie is correct

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Everything else is the house has been nicely updated, so the popcorn sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m also 6’6 so it’s harder to ignore.

I had hoped drywalling over the popcorn would be the easiest solution but that sounds like it has its own unappealing issues.

I’ve scraped off popcorn followed by skim coating and just skim coated over the existing popcorn. If I had to choose, it would be to skim coat and not remove the popcorn. The worst part is the sanding. I did find a guy on YT that claims he doesn’t sand in between coats. He must be really good with a drywall knife.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...DOItxexzM40BTc

Taking the drywall out isn’t really an option due to blown-in insulation and the large area (1700 sq ft).

I think I’m going to see if I can find a drywall company that will skim coat over the existing popcorn before we move in. I’d pay good money to not do it myself again!

Rootsie is correct
    No doubt. I'm aware that I need a professional but hey you guys know a lot so that helps me sound a little less stupid when I talk to them.