Page 58 of 381 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 9511
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's reasons to prefer runners after all. Maybe all you really need is a better-looking rug. Think hard.
    Srsly. You're also way less likely to eat shit on runner-ed stairs than raw wood. That shit is slippery and slippery stairs are an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    What's the consensus on gutter screens or guards or whatever they're called? I just had my gutters replaced and I think I should probably put some covers on them since we have several mature trees that drop leaves on different parts of the roof.

Any brands, styles, things to look out for?
    My parents and my immediate neighbors have them and love them. No dealing with getting on the roof that would be otherwise necessary. We're in the Sierra Foothills, so think shedding live and black oaks and various pine needles.

I'm going to install in the next year or so. I've been getting up on the roof with my Makita 18v blower and blowing it out. It's not a huge hassle because roof access from my deck is easy, but the house is built into a hill, so some of the roofline is a good 20-25 feet up. I'm not afraid of heights, but don't want to deal with the law of averages catching up eventually. And I do it a lot in the late summer and fall due to fire risks and being paranoid.

As for brand or style, no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    use a thinner, much better looking runner rug and paint everything white instead?
    If it were up to me I'd leave it all as it is. Cost is silly. My better half disagrees. I will remind her of this the first time she slips going down in her socks and rings her bell.

I suggested the thinner runner with one of those fancy rich-folk rods and each tread to hold the runner down, but was shot down.

No go on the all white. House has too much white. Plus ruins the look of the entryway...

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Surely you could just order some stair treads from amazon and install them yourself?
    jeff bozo or his secretary calls me every day asking me I'd like to be a certified installer for the alexis network I'm almost ready to give in but we start negotiations and I always ask to get paid in rusty trombones what would it be like to install toilets and sinks for Amazon a good career move

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    The only thing I've really learned from this thread is to never do any remodeling.

Which is pretty valuable, IMO.
    I knew that before starting....This idea started 2yrs ago with a few simple items....and in that time, thanks to the "wife" its doubled in price as the list grows and believe me....she still wants other stuff but I put the hand up on that. Last night she admitted she feels overwhelmed......jeez....did you not understand why I wanted this done simply and in phases? But I suppose that goes in the other thread....

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    My parents and my immediate neighbors have them and love them. No dealing with getting on the roof that would be otherwise necessary. We're in the Sierra Foothills, so think shedding live and black oaks and various pine needles.

I'm going to install in the next year or so. I've been getting up on the roof with my Makita 18v blower and blowing it out. It's not a huge hassle because roof access from my deck is easy, but the house is built into a hill, so some of the roofline is a good 20-25 feet up. I'm not afraid of heights, but don't want to deal with the law of averages catching up eventually. And I do it a lot in the late summer and fall due to fire risks and being paranoid.

As for brand or style, no idea.
    The gutter guards on the house are a pain in the ass, only exceeded by the garage, which has no gutter guards and is under a cherry tree that sheds heavily in the spring and fall.

If I were ever to build a house, having wide eaves and no gutters would be high on my wish list, with french drains as needed to carry away the runoff. Is that a really horrible idea?

@ sirbumps: The most expensive words in the English language: "While we're at it."

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    I knew that before starting....This idea started 2yrs ago with a few simple items....and in that time, thanks to the "wife" its doubled in price as the list grows and believe me....she still wants other stuff but I put the hand up on that. Last night she admitted she feels overwhelmed......jeez....did you not understand why I wanted this done simply and in phases? But I suppose that goes in the other thread....
    Yeah - wife and I are both on board with the "if it ain't broke" train. Vibes, man.

If it were up to me I'd leave it all as it is. Cost is silly. My better half disagrees. I will remind her of this the first time she slips going down in her socks and rings her bell.

I suggested the thinner runner with one of those fancy rich-folk rods and each tread to hold the runner down, but was shot down.

No go on the all white. House has too much white. Plus ruins the look of the entryway...
    Remind her how fun it will be to have no stairs for a week or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    If I were ever to build a house, having wide eaves and no gutters would be high on my wish list, with french drains as needed to carry away the runoff. Is that a really horrible idea?
    Absolutely not. It's a great idea. I'm sitting in a house right now where I had that idea 20 years ago and it's been blissful. I haven't had to clean a gutter since then. I always hated that job. And I've never had to do a thing with the french drains except keep them from getting too overgrown with weeds with a weedwacker or some roundup once or twice a year.

Plus the big overhangs keep water away from the foundation, plus if you're smart and design things right they work awesome for passive solar, keeping summer sun out of the house but letting winter sun in. Building new and planning on putting on gutters is fucking bananas in my book.

This isn't the full job. This is just the stairs - represents probably 5% of the job.
    What's your home value before and after the remodel ? If it's a Washington county subdivision home only do what the neighborhood norm is if you plan on being there less than 10 years. You'll be lucky to realize 30-40% return on your budget. Shit gets expensive real fast these days when remodeling in Portland metro.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Remind her how fun it will be to have no stairs for a week or longer.
    Quoted as a 6 week job with a crew. Lucky we have a back stairs...for the servants.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    What's your home value before and after the remodel ? If it's a Washington county subdivision home only do what the neighborhood norm is if you plan on being there less than 10 years. You'll be lucky to realize 30-40% return on your budget. Shit gets expensive real fast these days when remodeling in Portland metro.
    yes I expect that - never get a full 100% return....we are mainly fixing the "ugly" of the house, and upgrading the 90's stuff to modern and expect to live here for at least 7-10yrs or more (3 already down). House is in Wash County, but in an estate neighborhood with acre + lots. Spending <10% of house worth. Neighborhood can support as much as we want to throw at it, but to compete we'd have to switch to "really high end" touches and those homes take a long time to sell....so I am not willing to dip into that pool. People across the street just did a $200,000 remodel upon move-in....but that included a $70,000 roof...ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Building new and planning on putting on gutters is fucking bananas in my book.
    100% Gutters suck ass.

This seems as good a place to ask as any:
    What's up with the new hybrid roof I saw up the street on a new house in Truckee? It looked like comp shingle for most of it, and then metal for the last 3-4 feet from the edge of the eves. Cheaper than all-metal? Doesn't seem like it would be...
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This seems as good a place to ask as any:
    What's up with the new hybrid roof I saw up the street on a new house in Truckee? It looked like comp shingle for most of it, and then metal for the last 3-4 feet from the edge of the eves. Cheaper than all-metal? Doesn't seem like it would be...
    Cheaper than leaks from ice dams.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Cheaper than leaks from ice dams.
    I get that vs all shingle. But why not all metal like many/most of the others around? Is it a cost thing?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Sir did to many bumps at the bar afterwork...alot - this is the kind of shit I do for a living and I really have no idea what you are going on about. If you want new hardwood stairs, take the fucking railing down, remove the finished treads and risers, throw it all in the trash and start over.

"Matching" does not exist

"Fixed Price" does not exist

Be good at making timely decisions, realize that the two biggest drivers of cost of your scope of work and your finish schedule. Cost control is your problem. Tell your GC to invoice every other Wednesday, show up with your check book 4pm Friday.

If that's too much to ask, go buy a new house. Seriously. I still do remodels because I find the process satisfying despite the headaches. The first question I ask my customers is if they are patient. I don't know how much it is going to cost and and don't know how long it will take. I don't accept deadlines or liquidated damages contracts. All work is time and materials. Plumbers and electricians are over $100/hr.

If you don't like it that's cool, I'll just go do trim carpentry...like building stairs an installing handrail and only have to talk to the GCs who are my buddys. That's remodeling 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    What's the consensus on gutter screens or guards or whatever they're called? I just had my gutters replaced and I think I should probably put some covers on them since we have several mature trees that drop leaves on different parts of the roof.

Any brands, styles, things to look out for?
    My experience with screens is that they are more of a pain in the ass then they're worth. The leaves sit on the screens and decompose and the debris sits in the gutter under the screen. Maybe they save some work cleaning the gutters but they tend to come out and replacing them is a pain. I haven't used the Leaf Guard system but This Old House reviewed it on air and in all but light rain the water overshoots the gutter and hits the ground next to your house rather than going in the gutter.

I get that vs all shingle. But why not all metal like many/most of the others around? Is it a cost thing?

metal roof is 2-3x price and up vs arch asphalt, but it lasts for fucking ever.

Got it. That's what I suspected, but never been personally involved in pricing out a metal roof.

Thanks for info.

What access is there to the underside of the stairs? What will it take to get the old treads out--hard to know if you can't see underneath, and hard to have a staircase that doesn't creak as you go up and down if you can't work from underneath. How bad do you want to restain the floors? Maybe the smart thing is keep the floor and the stairs the existing color. (I'm not a GC but I have built a solid oak staircase (treads, risers, stringers) with the treads and risers mortised and wedged into the stringers and with glue blocks where treads and risers meet--30 years later and not a creak. I don't think too many people build them that way anymore, but I had the time.)

I suspect Foggy Goggles is right--if you simply can't live with the staircase you might be better off rebuilding from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "Matching" does not exist

"Fixed Price" does not exist.
    matching most definitely exists, but not at fixed price, and not anywhere near $3600

you can do pretty much anything you want with wood, the question is how much are you willing to pay for material, and more so, skilled labor

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    matching most definitely exists, but not at fixed price, and not anywhere near $3600

you can do pretty much anything you want with wood, the question is how much are you willing to pay for material, and more so, skilled labor
    True. I guess I'm saying that matching is never contractually guaranteed. Customer pays for all sampling and signs off. I've seen $thousands get spend trying to match new wood to old wood. Hell, I've seen as entire pre-stain pack get rejected at the customers expense.

Got it. That's what I suspected, but never been personally involved in pricing out a metal roof.

Thanks for info.

We just did a metal roof. 3.2x cost of asphalt, plus another $3k in snow guards to keep sliding snow from ripping the gutters off. Sweet.

Not asking for exact match....just closer than it would be if we did nothing.

Fixed cost? I am not asking for fixed cost.....just asking if 300 per thread is reasonable, low or high.

Unlike you guys, I have a budget.....I am not a dentist.

Also not rebuilding entire staircase....my wife is not a dentist either.