Page 62 of 384 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 9587
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This and I would seriously consider paying someone to do this. Hanging sheetrock SUCKS ASS and you will be bad at it.
    Thanks i will get some help. But i have plenty of time and it is the garage roof. Good place to learn.

This and I would seriously consider paying someone to do this. Hanging sheetrock SUCKS ASS and you will be bad at it.
    Also consider ease of access for stocking. Getting a call from your buddy after a 10hr day to come help stock 2 bunks of 5/8 12 ft sheets because they refused to stock and hangers wouldn't hang if not stocked really sucks.

Square box and just walls maybe I'll hang but fuck ceilings even with a lift.

Especially so on ceilings

I hate hanging rock.

Yeah it's almost always a mistake to hang your own especially on a job that size. Pay someone to count sheets, arrange ordering/stocking (yes they will get a markup, yes that's fine), hang, and firetape.

Unless your time is worth next to nothing...and if so, please post video of you fucking up outlet/switch/light cutouts.

Yeah it's almost always a mistake to hang your own especially on a job that size. Pay someone to count sheets, arrange ordering/stocking (yes they will get a markup, yes that's fine), hang, and firetape.

Unless your time is worth next to nothing...and if so, please post video of you fucking up outlet/switch/light cutouts.
    I'm jumping on the "pay to have it done right" train. At least get a couple of quotes for having it done. I've always felt that it's a bargain for what you get.

+1 on this, putting a lid up fucking sucks. Sheet rock and insulating are 2 things you definitely pay someone else to do. It's usually pretty cheap and they will have it done in a quarter of the time it would take you.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Sheet rock sucks but.... it’s the garage ceiling.

drywall is the bomb
    I used to love it, still do but there is easier ways to make money even at 3-4 bucks a sq ft.
    Had a friend I was helping on a project some years ago we argued cause he wanted to supply the drywall materials the drywaller said he'd supply the materials I had to sit there for a half hour and show the numbers
    Customers purchase price delivery fee or time spent hauling and stocking. Customer putting drywall in wrong place even though they were told what to do. Customer putting drywall outside because it was to hard to get upstairs. Added finish fee because of 8ft sheets vs 12 ft.
    Drywallers purchase price suppliers hauling stocking fee. With mark up by sub was cheaper every which way

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah paying someone to hang the sheetrock is the way to go but this is a lesson you need to learn first hand. It's a garage, go for it. It's not rocket surgery. Low consequences and you'll know to hire someone next time.

What is the difference between "fire taping" a drywall project and finished enough to paint? I cheaped out on the garage of my house and they fire taped it, so it looks done to me. But, if I throw paint on the wall, will it still show through and look ugly?

Yes, I know, garage....but I'd like it to be decent looking after paint.

It just means a quick and dirty tape/mud job to pass fire inspection. Depending on exactly how quick and dirty it is you could just paint it, or sand it then paint it, or sand paint and re-mud it and sand it again, etc. etc. Maybe some jurisdictions call out fire-resistant tape? Not sure about that but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
    +1 on this, putting a lid up fucking sucks. Sheet rock and insulating are 2 things you definitely pay someone else to do. It's usually pretty cheap and they will have it done in a quarter of the time it would take you.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Things you should always have someone else do because it sucks, you won't save any money, and you'll do a bad job or hurt yourself

1. Sheetrock
    2. Insulation
    3. Garage Door Springs
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Maybe its just my hood, but I have gotten some retarded quotes for insulation which should have been way cheaper than they were. I'd at least vet the bids, or contemplate self install if its fiberglass batts (but fiber doesn't me personally). Blown in or spray foam though def sub out.

No way in hell I'm even thinking about doing drywall though. It isn't even the cost really, you are guaranteed it will look like shit unless you do it full time.
    Live Free or Die

a good gacked out sheetrock crew is a sight to behold.

My old man is a DIY master and he never, ever fucked with drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Things you should always have someone else do because it sucks, you won't save any money, and you'll do a bad job or hurt yourself

1. Sheetrock
    2. Insulation
    3. Garage Door Springs
    Add carpet runner installation.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I finished a couple rooms in a basement years ago and I hung the sheetrock myself and then hired out the tape and mud. I'm not sure you'd find someone to go a la carte these days?

It's worth noting that I also framed the rooms and ran the duct work for the HVAC and the ducts had too many turns, were sized wrong etc., so the rooms never got any heat. All without permits of course. So don't take any home improvement advice that I offer.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Indeed. However the spray insulators hanging in the spray trailer give them a run for their money for who is tweaking harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Yes, I know, garage....but I'd like it to be decent looking after paint.
    spend the money on a fridge and beer. It’ll look decent

They made us box in the steel beams in the garage with sheetrock at final inspection here, up until thn everybody had said they were fine since it's a detached garage but there's a connecting roof over a breezeway and the inspector decided that counted as attached.

So we boxed then in and taped them in half a day because he was coming back the next day and we absolutely had to pass inspection because of the financing. It's the definition of quick and dirty. I was gonna come behind and fix it up nice afterwards. It's been exactly like that 20 years now. Fuck it.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Yup, breezeway = attached

Sometimes it works for you, sometimes against

working for this contractor he comes back to the job and talks about these Mexicans at the 711 with shaved and fully tattooed heads completely ripped from lifting weights and how he was scared sure enough they roll right up to the house ready to start hanging

Fire tape is a level one finish. Just to pass an inspection. Depending on who did it. Depends on how crappy it is. Paint it. Drywall will start to turn yellow after a couple years. Always start w a pva primer.

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

When I got a minute I will tell you about the patch crew I used to get to come up from Denver for these fix and flips I used to do in the recession. If they were coming "today" that mean't 5pm at the earliest. 2 guys, they would go until they were done, sometimes 24hrs. straight. I just left them alone until I got a text "all done $xxxx". There quality was awesome. Nobody knew how they did it exactly. All California patch and hot mud I think.

1/2 inch walls, 5/8 lid.
    Pretty standard and likely local code.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app