Page 79 of 385 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 9607
    I have a respirator. The grinder also has a baffle that covers the disk. You hook a vac that you rent that has filters for the dust. I could also go with wet grinding, but that sounds mess AF. Thanks for the reponses. Think I'll give a whirl. Will report back.

Any do's and don'ts for buying replacement vinyl windows to replace the old single pane metal frame ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

don't buy milgard.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Any do's and don'ts for buying replacement vinyl windows to replace the old single pane metal frame ones?
    Replacements or inserts? Are you doing it yourself?

I had inserts put in. Guy came and measured, showed me some options and quoted. Couple weeks later called and said he was ready to go. I think it took his guys about 4 hours to do my house. And it was pretty cheap. You lose a tiny bit of window opening, but the cost of replacements way more.

I guess they are inserts. I got a solid price on 9 windows from a guy selling and installing Crystal California Valencia windows. Did a Google search and didn't see any obvious bad news on him or the brand.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

I had 9 windows as well. Two large picture windows in front. It's a different house now when you close it up. Can't hear shit outside. And my energy costs went down. Triple pane FTW!

I hear it's pretty DIY-able, but I didn't want to mess with it. I say go for it. One of the best home improvements I've had done.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    don't buy milgard.
    Why?
    We've used milgards a couple of times, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why?
    We've used milgards a couple of times, no problems.
    Consistently get written up by me for issues - both new and old units. To me the savings don't add up.

One thing I will give credit - they've improved their warranty service.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I have a respirator. The grinder also has a baffle that covers the disk. You hook a vac that you rent that has filters for the dust. I could also go with wet grinding, but that sounds mess AF. Thanks for the reponses. Think I'll give a whirl. Will report back.
    You don’t need a mask with a grinder with a hepa vac setup. Super easy with the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Consistently get written up by me for issues - both new and old units. To me the savings don't add up.

One thing I will give credit - they've improved their warranty service.
    So what brand(s) do you recommend?

I just built a sun room and replaced most of the windows in my house here is the bid. includes two french doors and the installation. the addition doors and windows cost $500 extra. They had to cut back sheetrock and replace exterior trim.
    40 1/2 X 37 3/4 SS ADOBE LOW-E ARGON 1 211.00 211.00T
    30 1/2 X 59 SH ADOBE LOW-E ARGON 6 243.00 1,458.00T
    5/8 X 79 1/2 DBL DOOR LH OS (S140) FULL LITE,6 5/8"
    PRIMED JAMB,SGL BORE,BRONZE SILL
    1 1,039.00 1,039.00T
    INSTALL ABOVE WINDOWS AND DOOR/CUT BACK
    DRYWALL NEW EXTERIOR TRIM/ NO PAINTING
    1,550.00 1,550.00
    ADDITION
    31 1/2 X 59 1/2 SH ADOBE CLEAR 1 235.00 235.00T
    31 1/2 X 59 1/2 SH ADOBE LOW-E ARGON TEMPERED 2 308.00 616.00T
    47 1/2 X 59 1/2 PICT ADOBE LOW-E ARGON 1 319.00 319.00T
    47 1/2 X 59 1/2 PICT ADOBE CLEAR 1 285.00 285.00T
    6/0 X 6/8 DBL DOOR RH CH (S140-LE) FULL LITE,6 5/8"
    COMPOSITE JAMB,DBL BORE,BRONZE SILL
    1 1,091.00 1,091.00T
    I went with vinyl they make them locally near my home. good window not top of the line but should last my lifetime. It is an Amish business, they make windows and roofing. They were great to work with. Very polite I think the windows are on par with similar home depot priced.
    off your knees Louie

I just finished my two kitchen windows. Went with Weld-Jen 4500 from HD.
    Very satisfied.
    Could have easily slid in the narrower 2500’s. I did not account for the extra 1/4” in height when the 4500 is tilted, so had to cut more of the inner lower sill than planned. Made that trim piece thicker, no big deal.
    Bedroom windows next.

don't buy milgard.
    Bullshit

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Any brand suggestions on wood casement windows?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Real wood or the new andreson engineered stuff with very wood look. I've done Anderson wood in past with great success, but not super wallet friendly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

For true wood windows, I like Loewen (all fir construction). Reasonably priced for dentist use, but not a “value brand”

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I just did four 5'x3' windows in my house and priced out Marvin Integrity Elite Wood-Clad double-pane windows. Ranged from $625 for fixed to $700 for casement. Double hung were $675. My contractor installed them and I think in the quote he was doing $1000 a window. I like the look of the be-leveled look. I went with a milgard picture window in the kitchen since it was 100% clad...in hindsight I wish I had gone Marvin on that.

Priced out a Marvin picture window instead of the 2 fixed Marvins but didn't go that route and was quoted $1350 (a bit over 5'x6.5')

Pella guy at Home Depot in passing told me to figure $1000 a window installed for their 5x3 wood-clad product.

Hope that helps give you a ballpark. I am sure the installer labor and markup varies.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So what brand(s) do you recommend?
    Weather Shield
    Pella
    Andersen

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Bullshit

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    Not bullshit

1400 - 1600 a window installed
    includes everything but the window

Mine are Ply Gem. Happy with them so far. Been 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    1400 - 1600 a window installed
    includes everything but the window
    Woof. That's spendy. Include interior trim out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    You don’t need a mask with a grinder with a hepa vac setup. Super easy with the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great--another whack job who thinks masks infringe on their constitutional rights. ; -- )

We'll never buy Pella again. Sills rotted (installed correctly). They're casements, keep sagging and they charged us a few hundred to adjust, we watched and learned but now at the end of adjustment range and still can't close them. We will replace.

Weather Shield
    Pella
    Andersen
    Marvin
    Sierra Pacific

Ugh, it's finishes shopping week here and I'm exhausted as so much of this seems like you're picking between two nearly identical things. I have questions for the collective if there are particular brands to avoid or must have in the following categories:

Interior doors: Simpson, Jeld-Wen, Masonite, Rogue Valley. Interior doors are going to be 6 panel white hollow core, might get the soundproof option for the bedroom door only. Does brand even matter for an interior door?

Garage door + opener: Currently looking at Overhead Door because that's the one I currently have and I'm happy with it but I'm open to suggestions. Looking for a wood appearance on a metal door because I'm not maintaining a wood door. As far as opener, I have a belt drive that is very quiet, but I also like the idea of the side drive and not having the big opener mechanism across the ceiling. Any thoughts here?

Windows: Most will be casement, white vinyl. Andersen, Jeld-Wen, Milgard (I saw the note above), Pella, or other. Not looking for fancy wood here, just casements that have a good screen and smooth operation over the long haul

Plumbing trim: Mrs. DJSapp liked the pfister (heh) for faucet trim and I don't think that's much of a pitfall there. Kohler tub, American Standard sink and shitter felt fine.

Lighting: is there any reason to be picky about can lighting brands? The GC said he is providing something that has an internal dial that will tweak color temp, so we can dial that in.

Stone veneer: Looking at some El Dorado cultured stone options

Paint: jeesus christo. The GC said to keep it between Kelly Moore and Sherman Williams. Is there even a difference, they both have every color ever. Go with whomever has the closest store?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.