Page 238 of 380 FirstFirst ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That don't look like pine boys. It's oak. Stained a more of a golden color and refinished its the nicest floor you can get IMO--short of going exotic.
    I'm 90% sure it's pine or fir of some sort. If nothing else, an oak floor in this house would be very out of character from the other work that the prior owner did. But I have a couple loose pieces of flooring from the bathroom we redid, so I'll confirm with the flooring supplier.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure it's not fir. It does look a lot like the old oak floors in our house, but I haven't seen a lot of pine floors to compare it to. Probably doesn't matter too much as long as the appearance is consistent across rooms.

Look around your area and see if you any salvage wood flooring resellers. You might get lucky and find similar vintage to match the patina. Don't waste your time with most flooring places , make sure to find a hardwood finishing company or a wholesaler to take a look at the sample you have. Most places only know engineered , LVT and whatever is going in on HGTV shows at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm 90% sure it's pine or fir of some sort. If nothing else, an oak floor in this house would be very out of character from the other work that the prior owner did. But I have a couple loose pieces of flooring from the bathroom we redid, so I'll confirm with the flooring supplier.
    I think you're right, not oak. Could be tamarack, though

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That don't look like pine boys. It's oak. Stained a more of a golden color and refinished its the nicest floor you can get IMO--short of going exotic.
    I’m with Timber on this, this is oak. Looks exactly like my red oak floor in the pic. I’d trust a guy named “Timber” to know his wood species. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1637694941.189032.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	393731

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If that's pine, its a very nice pine floor. Every pine floor I've ever seen is a scratch fest. Though some of the older sappy yellow pines could be fairly hard. Today's yellow pine is softer.

Hard to exactly tell from the picture, but a very clear (no knots or sap runs) pine floor in a condition like that is rare today. Nice looking oak floor there Flounder!!

Easiest way to tell. Cut a small piece--if it smells like pine, it's pine, and if it smells like cat piss, its oak.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

That looks like my oak flooring too, and the oak veneer topsheet on my custom Praxis'.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    I think you're right, not oak. Could be tamarack, though
    Tamarack seems entirely plausible since there's boatloads of that stuff around here.

Here's a pic of the underside of a piece that we pulled out of a bathroom. Does this help with the wood species sleuthing?

Yeah that looks more like pine now. It's not red oak for sure. Oak usually has rays/flecks in it, but I've seen some white oak that's less so. But that looks more like pine now.

That's a very good grade of pine, cause I haven't seen but one small knot in all your pics.

How hard is it? Heart pine is about as hard as oak, should have small-to-no knots, and relatively few of them. If the house is really old, it definitely could be, but if the house was built post WWII, it's more likely to be sapwood yellow pine, which is softer. Like dent it with your fingernail, or dog nail scratches and dents all over it.

edit: from the plank pic, it's not oak. Could be Tamarack/Larch, although I don't think I've ever seen it that clear.
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 11-23-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Some knots in it, but (k)not too many.

I've been kinda surprised how well it's held up. It's had plenty of dog claws on it, plus a couple of 15 month olds that are hell bent on destroying everything. And we haven't done much to maintain it - just an occasional quick mop with some oil soap stuff. Some of the high traffic areas are a little banged up, but not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Look around your area and see if you any salvage wood flooring resellers. You might get lucky and find similar vintage to match the patina. Don't waste your time with most flooring places , make sure to find a hardwood finishing company or a wholesaler to take a look at the sample you have. Most places only know engineered , LVT and whatever is going in on HGTV shows at the moment.
    When they ripped up the court for the Vancover Grizzlies who left town to become the Memphis grizzlies my buddy got some really nice flooring, he left all the painted lines on the flooring and assembled the pieces in random order, looks kinda cool IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think tamarack and larch are somewhat harder than pine these days (reclaimed old growth is a different story), so maybe that's it. The crazy grain on the flat-sawn boards supports that theory too.

Southern yellow pine is what it is. White pine in the northeast Is the softest of the pines, that one gets a lot of scratches.

A quick google of SYP T&G says he's probably right

Don't see much of that this far NW.

It 's either pine or fir, you clowns. Flat-sawn fir is not an uncommon floor in these parts. I got $$$ that it is NOT oak.

this is why I stay out of wood ID rodeos on the 'net.

I should stay out of this but I won't - that doesn't look like oak at all.

Anyone here retrofit led lights to their old can lights at home? I'm thinking of buying a box of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-259/303780877

Then if I like them, retrofit all 20 can lights in my house to LED via this method. Much easier than taking out the old cans and putting in stand-alone LED recessed lighting. My question is - anything I'm not considering?

::::::: will say the light quality may shift over the years and buy more expensive ones that cost $500/each, that's all I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

Anyone here retrofit led lights to their old can lights at home? I'm thinking of buying a box of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-259/303780877

Then if I like them, retrofit all 20 can lights in my house to LED via this method. Much easier than taking out the old cans and putting in stand-alone LED recessed lighting. My question is - anything I'm not considering?

::::::: will say the light quality may shift over the years and buy more expensive ones that cost $500/each, that's all I can think of.
    I dunno what the color changing thing is about b/c I just buy LED bulbs with the right color, but if any are on older dimmers you'll need to swap out the dimmer for LED compatible ones, unless you like flickering.

I can't speak to longevity, but we got a six pack of dimmable LEDs from Amazon for cheap, and they've lived up to the promise (four in a 200 square foot room is blinding it they've all the way up).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_title

The in-laws saw them and replaced their can lights with something from Home Depot a couple of weeks later, and as far as I know, they remain happy to have done so. Not sure of the particular product, though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Make sure you like the color of the light they put out, I know with replacement LED bulbs there are 2 kinds of light I think Daylight or soft white ?

so make sure you like the color of light because once you replace them they last forever
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

$500/each
    I have good news for you: starting +/- $250/ea for the good shit

Re: cheap ones: same thing but better production quality
    https://www.acuitybrands.com/product...-installations

Led retrofits are $20 +\- . Most have a switch now to pick the the color (brightness). The halo ones are better than the CE

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    Led retrofits are $20 +\- . Most have a switch now to pick the the color (brightness). The halo ones are better than the CE
    The switch actually changes the color temperature, not the brightness. Most people prefer a warm white, IME, but the new inserts will go from really warm (think headlights on a '72 VW ambling along at 35mph) to really white (like the brodozer blinding you from behind).

Yes, buy them and don't look back.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I installed these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...1101/303974228

In existing cans in a 30 year old house. The trim on the existing cans was yellowed/faded so just swapping out the bulbs was not an option to go LED. These are super clean and the ability to adjust both the color temperature and brightness is awesome. Also, the replacement fixture is more airtight than a bulb in a can.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.