Page 235 of 380 FirstFirst ... 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 9497
    ^ but 1/4 inch sub floor is obviously a no go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I have a 300sf space, kitchen/dining/living room. I just put in a new kitchen and am looking at the floor. Subfloor is 2x6, 2x8, 2x whatever they had available i suspect with 1/4 plywood overtop. The floor is not level and not flat. Im going to use some self leveler to take out some of the wavyness but I'll end up with a hump in the room regardless of I do short of a filling the room with gallons of self leveler.

The room will see high traffic in summer especially if I airbnb the place (sleeps 10-12) in the summer so real wood might not be a good idea. I considered tile but not all that keen.

Does the collective have suggestions for flooring that will play nice on such a surface? No carpet, no linoleum. Was thinking some kinda vinyl planks but wondering if they'll bust at the click together if there is slight wave in the floor.
    vinyl plank needs a flat floor--read the manufacturer's instruction re how out of flat is allowable. My guess is if there is a noticeable hump you're way out of spec.

I've put vinyl click together (usually the 3.69 sq/ft stuff from Lowes) over some pretty out of spec floors. In these scenarios it was cheaper and easier to accept a shorter replacement schedule than it was to fuss about flattening the floor. So far 5 years and still going strong.

Recently used some other stuff from an actual flooring store that I really liked, I think manufactured by Shaw, bigger tiles make it look better, and the lock together system is better, worth looking into, I won't use big box flooring again.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Lifeproof from homedepot is good. All plastic, doesn’t get fucked from water. Left a piece outside under the snow one winter, it looked exactly the same. I hate Home Depot but that flooring is my go to for LVP.

Floating plank is good, but sucks if there are hollow spots. Sounds like shit.

Recently did glue down vinyl faux wood on a humped commercial floor. It looks great. Durable. So much better.

PS. Renewal by Andersen. Lol.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Delta Model 10 was the contractors saw of its day--back when men were men. Mine just died--I think I posted in a different thread. Parts not available. It depends on what you plan to use it for, your budget and whether you need it to be portable. Tell us more.
    I'd skip the craigslist saw, just because of age and no guard : -- ) but the price is right, if it runs smoothly. If it vibrates a lot I'd skip.
    I passed on the Delta saw. As you mentioned, the lack of a guard. Also, the space to use ratio didn’t justify taking up that much real estate in my basement. I’m leaning towards a new contractor/portable saw for the safety and space reasons.

As for use, immediate need is to rip a few 4” deck boards. Thereafter, it’s another tool in my arsenal… I use projects around the house to build my tool collection!
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I pretty much need to do the same thing to install a switch to control the garbage disposal.

I’ve been calling around to see if I can find a counter install company to drill it since the consequences are so high.

Best advice I’ve seen is a new bit designed for the purpose, water, go slow, use a scrap piece of 1x to position the bit (drill through the 1x with the countertop bit and then use the board to hold the bit in place).
    It's way easier than it seems like it would be to drill stone with a diamond core bit. The cheap drill mounted ones work ok, but a grinder mounted one (variable speed grinder required--also excellent for Lancelot use) is even better and easier to control. You can do it dry but the bit won't last as long

Air switches come with big escutcheons to cover standard 1 3/8 faucet holes, but the switch only needs like a 1" hole, so if you get a smaller bit you'll have a lot of extra coverage to fuck it up.
    Last edited by climberevan; 11-18-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I pretty much need to do the same thing to install a switch to control the garbage disposal.

I’ve been calling around to see if I can find a counter install company to drill it since the consequences are so high.

Best advice I’ve seen is a new bit designed for the purpose, water, go slow, use a scrap piece of 1x to position the bit (drill through the 1x with the countertop bit and then use the board to hold the bit in place).

Our GC effed up and did not have the switch holes drilled so we used a "cover-control" model garbage disposer. The disposer turns on/off w the disposer cover by way of magnets. One less thing to clean around on the counter top.

...use a scrap piece of 1x to position the bit (drill through the 1x with the countertop bit and then use the board to hold the bit in place).
    Thats a good one, thanks!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

My neighbor is putting on an addition. Poured a foundation about a week ago. The concrete cutting guys just showed up this morning. Oops.

Thanks, those look cool. If I needed to replace the unit that might make sense, but I think is like 3x the cost of the bit and vacuum switch.

Roger, we're risk averse so we choose the more expensive route to eliminate the potential to ruin the granite countertops.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    I passed on the Delta saw. As you mentioned, the lack of a guard. Also, the space to use ratio didn’t justify taking up that much real estate in my basement. I’m leaning towards a new contractor/portable saw for the safety and space reasons.

As for use, immediate need is to rip a few 4” deck boards. Thereafter, it’s another tool in my arsenal… I use projects around the house to build my tool collection!
    " I use projects around the house to build my tool collection!"

Preach Brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Our GC effed up and did not have the switch holes drilled so we used a "cover-control" model garbage disposer. The disposer turns on/off w the disposer cover by way of magnets. One less thing to clean around on the counter top.
    I had one of those for years and it was great for a while. It was a tank of a disposal. We went through a few of the caps, as the magnets eventually wear through the plastic and fall out. Eventually the cap stopped controlling the on off switch. We remodeled and I got an old school one and had the switch placed inside the cabinet beneath the sink. A buddy had the same thing happen with his and ended up hard wiring it.

Have you thought about putting the switch under the sink, just inside the cabinet door? We remodeled and did that at the contractors suggestion. Just reach down open the door and flip the switch. We love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    I had one of those for years and it was great for a while. It was a tank of a disposal. We went through a few of the caps, as the magnets eventually wear through the plastic and fall out. Eventually the cap stopped controlling the on off switch. We remodeled and I got an old school one and had the switch placed inside the cabinet beneath the sink. A buddy had the same thing happen with his and ended up hard wiring it.

We had a couple of those in the old house of that vintage(2008.) Had to get insikerator to replace one cap once(no charge.) They had those plastic wings which break and drop the magnets rendering the switch ineffective. The new ones are a different design (no more plastic) and I'm sure they dealt w that issue successfully.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    How to drill quartz countertop?

Due to several issues (change in plans, provider etc) would need a hole in a quartz countertop to reroute an electric cable for a corner socket box.
    Basically drill a 8-10mm hole in the countertop near the back corner. Sooo...doable as DIY or better to hire some geezer with diamond drill bit?
    I’ve had to drill a lot of quartz (wife ordered counters with no faucet holes, long story)

I used the granite drill kit, went through a couple of these but worked great. Keep it wet and rock the bit side to side as you drill.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltow...Saw/5001900259

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Keep it wet and rock the bit side to side as you drill.
    sigworthy

If you're too afraid to drill the countertop (do you mount your own skis?), at least drill the cabinet door or false front below for the air switch. No offense, but putting a switch behind the door is pretty lazy.

We have a switch inside the cabinet under the sink. Super simple and super clean.

Need some advice from the collective: I bought and older house with quirks around every (not-square) corner. The latest: the free-standing chimney at the center of the house is not flashed on one side (wtf?) There's a ~1-1.5 inch gap where it meets the top of the metal roof sheets running the width of the stack. I was going to go up there today and fill it with masonry-friendly caulk. The instructions say don't apply under 40° and it's 30° so that will have to wait.

I need a fix I can apply today (aesthetics not a concern) that will last the season. Cram in some backer rod?

Rather than do all that and mess up the clean look of your countertop, just wire the switch under the sink. I realize most dentists don’t want to open the sink door and bend down to flip the switch for three seconds like a common peasant, but it’s a much simpler solution with no real downside.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Need some advice from the collective: I bought and older house with quirks around every (not-square) corner. The latest: the free-standing chimney at the center of the house is not flashed on one side (wtf?) There's a ~1-1.5 inch gap where it meets the top of the metal roof sheets running the width of the stack. I was going to go up there today and fill it with masonry-friendly caulk. The instructions say don't apply under 40° and it's 30° so that will have to wait.

I need a fix I can apply today (aesthetics not a concern) that will last the season. Cram in some backer rod?
    Which side? If its the downhill side that could be correct. Pictures would help
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Which side? If its the downhill side that could be correct. Pictures would help
    yes, the gap is downhill from the chimney. going out there now to grab a photo.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Is it leaking? If not, what makes you think it needs to be sealed up?

Edit: given all of the exposed nail heads, I’d assume there’s some kind of waterproof layer under the metal roof. Especially if you’re not experiencing any leaks.

Your really need to flash it. Even a half assed flashing will last way longer than any caulk exposed directly to the elements. It's not that hard-- buy some 4x6 flashing and ghetto bend the 1/2- 3/4 lip on top to get into the mortar line. That's really the only place you need to caulk it, then. You really should go all the way around, since it looks like the rest of it isn't right either.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211118_113608.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	393168