Page 231 of 380 FirstFirst ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Oh look, another judgemental, avaricious, piece-of-shit has entered the room. I guess in some circles they're called landlords, but I call them scum of the earth, in polite company.
    Yesterday I was on the phone with them coaching them through how to change the battery in their thermostat. Even with this hand holding they still managed to rip the thermostat from the wall, wires and all; I could hear it happen as I said "gently" for the 3rd time. Had to go over and pull a new control wire all on my dime, so when I say they are likely too stupid, I am simply stating facts, not making judgements.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Tenant proofing rentals is an artform.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Here's one:

Sewer keeps backing up, its roots, reliably every 8 to 10 months. Anyone re-lined their pipes? Dig it all up and install PVC?

Sewer lateral runs underneath a tree, digging it up would suck, but wouldn't be the end of the world. Of course don't want to pay for any of it.
    Go buy a $500 Roto-Rooter at Home Depot and do it twice a year and you're golden
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

It's good to see Glade back in form, isn't it?

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

I need to put a transition (reducer?) going into the kitchen. Everything I’ve found doesn’t match, isn’t wide enough, and/or only comes in huge lengths. I was thinking of using a plank of leftover that I cut at an angle to make a sort of ramp. That allows me to get a good finish match and I can just push the tongue into the groove rather than having a raised bump covering the seam.

Terrible idea? Any thoughts on the best way to cut a taper into a board?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1636657719.887769.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	392340
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yes, that is the right way to do it. A tablesaw is definitely the best way to make the cut but it is kind of a dangerous one if you don't know what you are doing.

Perhaps buying a door saddle and ripping it length wise to the proper width.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    You need to have good access to both ends of the section you are lining, with no laterals tying in between.

They push/pull a felt sock through the pipe. Then inflate / cure it with steam. Then cut the closed ends. If you have a lateral in that run it will be blocked.

If the pipe if big enough they can send a robot down to cut the lateral, but it’s likely not that big and you might not have robot money…

So if it’s a simple line, go for it. If it’s more complicated, rip and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You got the process right, but before they blow the sock in, they run a camera to inspect and hydrocut any roots already intruding into the pipe. I also wouldn't trust that liner to be strong enough to resist a tree that is actively growing into the pipe. I'd bet that for damn near the same money you could call someone to pull a new fused HDPE pipe through the existing and never worry again.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

possibly a bad idea, but maybe run it through a planer with braces to create the desired angle. seems safer than a table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Yes, that is the right way to do it. A tablesaw is definitely the best way to make the cut but it is kind of a dangerous one if you don't know what you are doing.
    This. If you're not confident with the TS you can make that take with a hand power plane. Or the even more ghetto tool would be a belt sander.

If you want it to look perfect you should do the taper cut on the bottom of your filler board so you don't need to refinish it.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Pretty comfortable with a table saw, and I’ve got loads of scrap. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

If you want it to look perfect you should do the taper cut on the bottom of your filler board so you don't need to refinish it.
    Not sure I understand. Would that not effect the angle of the groove?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Pretty comfortable with a table saw, and I’ve got loads of scrap. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

He's saying all the cutting/sanding is the bottom side, the top you see won't be molested.

I tiled a floor in W Hartford CT this summer, took measurements and made a threshold here in VT for them.
    Screwed a strip of wood to the back of a 1x8 board and fed it trough my Dewalt planer on slow speed. Tapers from 1/4" to 3/4" over 6". Finish sand and a coat of Danish oil to seal it. They picked it up and stained it to match before installation.

They ordered enough tile, even had a half left over.

Name:	20210625_184718.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	917.7 KB 
ID:	392394

Name:	IMG_3202.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	454.9 KB 
ID:	392395

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	392396
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

If it's an extreme angle the tongue might be messed up. If that's the case take a bit of material off of the bottom shoulder and top edge of the tongue so that it fits tightly. You're going to have to glue the thing in with subfloor glue anyway. The real value in this method is retaining the factory finish and slightly eased edge, which you'll never duplicate.

Listen to @Climbervan A couple of notes:

With those type of cuts, there is a tendency for work to want to climb the blade and get outta whack. You may want to experiment with building a sacrificial jig to hold the board and of coarse custom push sticks as needed.

Subfloor glue is probably fine but I've been having great luck with the slightly more expensive polyurethane construction adhesives.

Not sure how you are finishing that wall but you may want to install after your base. Its may easier to just notch down your base square and then butt to it.

I guess “hand plane” isn’t an option with this crowd.

I've got everything from low angle block planes to a #7 and I wouldn't use them for this...except maybe to clean up the tablesaw cut.

Shouldn't be dangerous on the table saw if you use feather boards to keep the board against the fence and down on the table--you'll probably need a high auxiliary fence to clamp the down pushing feather board to . Use the guard if you can--depends on the guard, but at least use the riving knife if the saw has a separate one. A push stick of course. And stand out of the line of fire. If you don't know what I'm talking about do it another way.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Shouldn't be dangerous on the table saw if you use feather boards to keep the board against the fence and down on the table--you'll probably need a high auxiliary fence to clamp the down pushing feather board to . Use the guard if you can--depends on the guard, but at least use the riving knife if the saw has a separate one. A push stick of course. And stand out of the line of fire. If you don't know what I'm talking about do it another way.
    Um...yeah. This is a job site, not a wood shop. Take your apron and go back to calibrating your Saw Stop with the 6' outfeed table.

LOL ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yeah, my Powermatic has neither a guard nor a riving knife, but if I were shopping for a new one I'd probably want at least the latter. I learned the hard way about kickback once after a co-worker found me unconscious on a jobsite. I'm much, much more careful now.

Who hasn't pulled tomahawked pieces of wood out of walls and patched a few holes? Thousands of cuts will result in a few bad ones, still have ten [slightly wounded].
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

When you set up the table saw, know what is behind you

It's probably good to know what's in every direction.

My buddy is a cabinet maker. All day every daymaking cuts of all types. A few years back he was rushing and got directly behind the blade. The piece kicks back and hits him right in sack. Ruptured his testicle. He had to get a ride to the local hospital and ended up having surgery that night.

That story always makes me flinch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk