Page 228 of 380 FirstFirst ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 9497
    It’s always a second home owner, sometimes they think propane leak or water damage causin mold. Then I ask them, what did you think would happen? Didn’t think about it, is usually the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    No mouse poison here, little twerp just died on his own.
    Suicide?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    And don't let those squirrels get cozy. I found that a baited Have a Heart trap and pellet gun worked best.

Attachment 390240
    Got a havahart trap per your suggestion - squirrels, chipmunks, weasels. I think it’s too small for the big bastard. He just eats all my nuts. I think the trigger platform isn’t far enough in, so when he springs it he can just back out before the door locks.
    focus.

There has to be some vertical rise to the pellet flue, to get a draft going, doesn't there? The flue inside the house is horizontal where it exits the stove and runs through the exterior wall. Then it tees in to the exterior flue you see in the photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Negative Batman. Direct vent outside is fine. I don’t think your supposed to have windows above the exhaust technically, but if your running the pellet stove the windows are usually closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, that exhaust is a little strange.

Also, lol @ 40 ladder! That's gotta weigh close to 100 pounds. What's he going to do, start a window washing business?

Always buy the heaviest ladder with the highest weight rating you can--the heavier it is the less likely you are to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    I wish I had a video of the first time I tried to stand up a 40' ladder. I could watch it whenever I thought I should be taken seriously. My firefighter friend told me she was trained to run with the thing over her head and plant it against the building like a pole vaulter so the momentum would carry it up. My solution was far less elegant or impressive.
    Maybe flip it like a caber?

Yeah, we have a bunch of traps in the basement, in mouse-friendly locations, and occasionally get one. This little fucker got around all the traps and homed in on the furnace like a furry little suicide bomber. Even the dog isn't enjoying it anymore.

Watched a mouse run right over the top of a snap trap, ignoring the bait. One of those black plastic box type traps that are supposedly pet safe. Unless you have a pet mouse.

I bought some of those “mouse repellant” packets and put them in my garage. The mice ate them. Back to traps…

I wish I had a video of the first time I tried to stand up a 40' ladder. I could watch it whenever I thought I should be taken seriously. My firefighter friend told me she was trained to run with the thing over her head and plant it against the building like a pole vaulter so the momentum would carry it up. My solution was far less elegant or impressive.
    Having worked w/ quite a few 40ft ladders......
    I call bullshit on any firefighter running w/ a 40ft ladder over their head(or running w/ it, period). I call x-tra bullshit on the pole vault manuever. JFC.

I'm pretty sure I told my wife to "Please put both hands on the fucking ladder" when she was holding it while I was 25 feet up taking down wedding decorations the day after we got married. I can't imagine a 40 footer.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Always buy the heaviest ladder with the highest weight rating you can--the heavier it is the less likely you are to use it.
    Ha! Good advice.

28 FG and 34 Alu are about the limit for me solo. 40 is def a two man job.

Plus those long ladders are bouncy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Got a havahart trap per your suggestion - squirrels, chipmunks, weasels. I think it’s too small for the big bastard. He just eats all my nuts. I think the trigger platform isn’t far enough in, so when he springs it he can just back out before the door locks.
    Bummer. I had that happen with the 2 door model sometimes as I recall but would eventually get snared. My mistake was letting one squirrel set up shop and overwinter in the attic. Research told me that when I killed it, squirrels could smell that a room was vacant and kept moving into the attic. Took me two summers of killing until the war ended.

They make a one door model with the bait at the back.
    https://www.acehardware.com/departme...al-traps/88872
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There has to be some vertical rise to the pellet flue, to get a draft going, doesn't there? The flue inside the house is horizontal where it exits the stove and runs through the exterior wall. Then it tees in to the exterior flue you see in the photos.
    That explains it. Around here, if the socket is at the bottom of the unit, you can run a sealed double wall elbow and rise inside the building, and then elbow it out to a straight vent (that looks like a direct) as long as you're above the min height from ground and have sufficient distance from windows. But every jurisdiction is different, and there are obviously design differences between units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    We have a chimney on the exterior of one wall, that originally was for a real fireplace. Fireplace is gone, there's a pellet stove in its place, with a flue exiting through the side of the chimney. Chimney top is capped.

The chimney needs maintenance annually, because its exterior is brick veneer and it's painted. Water tends to run down it and damage the paint, and there's mineral deposits yay build up too.

Question: since it's not an actual chimney anymore, and never will be again, could I cut off the chimney at roof line and extend the roof out over the chimney? This would shelter the rest of the chimney exterior and reduce maintenance.

This would definitely be a hire a contractor type of job.
    There is a different issue here…

Why is the paint being damaged? Is water sitting on that cap, getting nasty, then staining the exterior? Then you need a new cap, something with a better slope?

Or your using the wrong paint…

Or water is getting behind the veneer…

The issue is not the height of the chimney….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Hvac question.

Currently have two old hvac systems. 3 and 5 ton I think. Gas furnaces. Seer of 12.

Looking to replace them with a high efficiency system that will last a long time, we plan to be in house for a long time. It’s 3,500 sq ft and high ceilings.

Go to heat pump or stick with gas? I’m leaning towards heat pump despite the cost increase.

Stay with two systems right? Looks like that is generally better than one large unit?

What are the best makes / units? I’d rather pay more up front to save in power and maintenance. (Ac outages suck). Seems like most hvac guys only install certain brands.

Also, If anyone has done the California/ PGE/ federal rebate game recently your input would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    There’s literally no way to properly advise you without knowing:
    Climate
    How well insulated your home is
    Amount and quality of glass

Sorry.

Foothills of California. Basically never freezes. Highs in the 90s and 100s in the summer.

Home is decently insulated but not great. Stucco and 2x4 walls. Fairly shaded. 12” of blown in cellulose insulation in the attic.

A fair amount of glass, some big east facing windows (7’x24’ area). Fairly standard other than that big glass area. Windows are higher quality, Pella 3 pane but from 1999.

Electric is pricy. Up to $.41 per kWh.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I call bullshit on any firefighter running w/ a 40ft ladder over their head(or running w/ it, period). I call x-tra bullshit on the pole vault manuever. JFC.
    I call BS too, Firefighting ladders are heavier than normal ladders too

How do people not know what that smell is?
    Home too much.

Forgot the comedian that had the line, but it went something like:
    The only time you know if you have a smelly house is the 15 minutes after you get home from vacation.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Agree. My 40 foot ladder weighs at least 150#, and I can just barely get it from the ground top the top of my van by myself. I've tried and failed to set it up solo.

I used to free solo 15 pitch rock climbs often, but being 30 feet off the ground on that ladder freaks me out. I'll only use it on rare occasions and for special clients. I really should just sell it and make my WC insurance happy.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Agree. My 40 foot ladder weighs at least 150#, and I can just barely get it from the ground top the top of my van by myself. I've tried and failed to set it up solo.

I used to free solo 15 pitch rock climbs often, but being 30 feet off the ground on that ladder freaks me out. I'll only use it on rare occasions and for special clients. I really should just sell it and make my WC insurance happy.
    Totally. I've got a 32 put its the Werner 300lb'r. I can take it off the truck and set it up by myself but I've gotta get phyc'd to do it. A nifty 34 costs about $250/day to rent. These days, I'll about use that instead of 8' step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20201001_121858.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	736.5 KB 
ID:	391259
    Good times!

You buddy is thinking about the wrong kind of ladders...

Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Home too much.

Forgot the comedian that had the line, but it went something like:
    The only time you know if you have a smelly house is the 15 minutes after you get home from vacation.
    Olfactory fatigue. I've been in enough cat piss soaked houses to know it's a real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Totally. I've got a 32 put its the Werner 300lb'r. I can take it off the truck and set it up by myself but I've gotta get phyc'd to do it. A nifty 34 costs about $250/day to rent. These days, I'll about use that instead of 8' step.
    If I can't get on a roof with my 16 foot ladder, I'll use my drone to check things out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drone.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	391262

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Olfactory fatigue. I've been in enough cat piss soaked houses to know it's a real thing.
    Yeah, I can vouch for that. It's the only thing that's letting me tolerate being inside my house at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Most adjusting companies forbid using any ladders over 20’. Any higher use a drone or get a bucket / lift. It just isn’t worth the risk.