Page 268 of 380 FirstFirst ... 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,700 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You gotta remove the trim/stop on the outside, tapping a thin 1" putty knife with a hammer in between the stop and the sash material will usually separate it (yes it might ruin the edge of the putty knife). A thin flat bar can also be used. A heat gun might also be needed if you get frustrated and there's lots of paint.
    Thanks. Upon further review, this seems right and it comes with the added bonus of letting met get the broken glass out while keeping the inside pane in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    my 2cents

(Assuming quality) there’s no such thing as ROI on remodels/additions if you plan to sell in the next 5 yrs. If you are in a stable neighborhood, home values will catch up. Quality work (design & construction) holds value & speeds sales, but construction pricing doesn’t compare to real estate valuation as noted up thread.

IMHO RE agents have little experience with quality construction or construction market pricing and often have overly optimistic assessments of what could work regarding remodels (again assuming quality)

And a reminder that ‘up to code’, ‘code required’, or ‘code compliant’ is the lowest quality you are legally allowed to build. It isn’t a certification of quality construction. It’s the lowest bar available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Peaches, an addition isn't a remodel. When you say, "Realtor friends" marinate on that for a while. From what I've seen in that industry, "easy to sell" is what they are really trying to say. They want turn key with curb appeal. Its how they make their 2pm tee time, Pino Gri party or yoga class.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but there are too many moving parts to give you an answer. Where do you live? Right now you are overpaying for labor and materials. Plus you are gonna have massive delays.

How are you gonna pay for it? It the benefit of living there part of the calculus? Doing any of the work yourself is usually a big red flag for contractors. If you've got the cheddar to play real estate investor, why do it at your primary residence? Are you planning to move out?
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Peaches -

I just remodeled a full house, from the studs out. 95% of it I did myself. I put around $50k in and will get well over $100k out of it. If I had paid someone to do it... It wouldn't have been worth it. Or if I assigned a value to my time...

Remodels and additions on existing houses are not straightforward and simple even if it seems like they should be hence everyone telling you "It Depends." Old houses have weird shit and problems to solve on jobs that seem like they'd be simple. That costs money. As mentioned the quality and cost of your finishes drastically influences the price. Nobody here knows your home and your market.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    For a hand job and a half ounce I'll tell you anything maybe even say I love you

Advice from a realtor is like asking my dog if his asshole tastes good when he's licking it a realtor doesn't know there asshole from there mouth last person to get solid advice from

Quick math from a pro like me on your addition

How much per sq ft did you purchase house for?

What is the perceived value of house today, per sq ft?

What is the construction cost in your area to add 2 bedrooms? Sq ft price? (I start at 500 sq ft)

I'm conservative when dealing w this shit speculating w big numbers will get you in big trouble a realtor will rub one out on you and do youbig numbers I tell people bad news for a living

Take the avg of purchase price sq ft and perceived sellable sq ft price subtract that from construction cost sq ft are you ahead or behind?

Then for a reality check the roi of a living space only addition will be 60% - 75% of construction costs throw that loss into your calculations

Add a bathroom to that addition or a large brand new kitchen and your roi will increase

You will never get a 100% roi when doing a hone remodel project unless it's circa 2020 or 2021

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    Man this just isn’t adding up to what I’m seeing. I don’t doubt what you guys are saying is true but I wonder what going on here. All over town here (Spokane) there’s investors who are buying houses and having a contractor gut and remodel the whole thing, it’s happening all over. And then you see that place on the market 4-8 months later.
    For now I’ll stick to renovating myself as there seems to be money to made there, and I enjoy doing it, so I can call it a hobby and not count my hours, hah

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Man this just isn’t adding up to what I’m seeing. I don’t doubt what you guys are saying is true but I wonder what going on here. All over town here (Spokane) there’s investors who are buying houses and having a contractor gut and remodel the whole thing, it’s happening all over. And then you see that place on the market 4-8 months later.
    For now I’ll stick to renovating myself as there seems to be money to made there, and I enjoy doing it, so I can call it a hobby and not count my hours, hah
    they're doing it cheap/fast as shit with a crew experienced in doing the same bullshit installs in each one - is that what you aspire to?

yes, your own labor is the most economical way to get your project done

The reason contemporary American houses suck is because of the process above. The value is in the sale, not the house. And that value is for the seller not buyer. And, given that this is how the preponderance of American housing stock comes to be, even new builds, buyers have shit choices with terrible low budget installs and construction that isn't meant to last beyond the 1yr install warrantee.

<snip>
    And the best way to fuck things up.

Depends what your time is worth, I guess. This proposition seems doubtful for the dentists.

they're doing it cheap/fast as shit with a crew experienced in doing the same bullshit installs in each one - is that what you aspire to?

The reason contemporary American houses suck is because of the process above. The value is in the sale, not the house. And that value is for the seller not buyer. And, given that this is how the preponderance of American housing stock comes to be, even new builds, buyers have shit choices with terrible low budget installs and construction that isn't meant to last beyond the 1yr install warrantee.
    Ah, yeah, I should go tour one of these places, that might make things make a whole lot more sense hah

Cheap shit drives me nuts, along with shortcuts. The amount of time I've spent redoing other peoples short cuts and replacing cheap shit.

I think the value of a remodel for a sale depends heavily on the piece of land that the house is sitting on. If you have a shitty house sitting on a very valuable piece of land in a hot market, fixing it up can definitely be a net benefit. If you have an ok house on an ok piece of land in an average market, fixing it up probably won't get you much of anywhere.

I don't know how Spokane is, but around western Montana, there are a lot of shitty houses sitting on very valuable pieces of land. There's plenty of money to be made reno-ing those houses and selling them to San Franciscans.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And the best way to fuck things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Depends what your time is worth, I guess. This proposition seems doubtful for the dentists.
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think the value of a remodel for a sale depends heavily on the piece of land that the house is sitting on. If you have a shitty house sitting on a very valuable piece of land in a hot market, fixing it up can definitely be a net benefit. If you have an ok house on an ok piece of land in an average market, fixing it up probably won't get you much of anywhere.

I don't know how Spokane is, but around western Montana, there are a lot of shitty houses sitting on very valuable pieces of land. There's plenty of money to be made reno-ing those houses and selling them to San Franciscans.
    all dead on

Also, it's important to remember that some renos are to move houses up a tier. To toast's comment - moving something from shithole->new easy stuff like floors/counts/cabinet facings with new appliances is fairly low cost-wise while bringing in a whole new class of buyer. Reno'ing a bathroom on a good place to be great? Much lower impact. This is why it's hard to measure ROI - what was it like before?
    For example, if you have a 70's/80's kitchen with a coil stove, then you reface the cabinets, add a backsplash+stainless appliances and a glasstop - suddenly it goes from "shithole rental" to "updated kitchen" that plays well in photos. Given that most buyers are not incredibly discerning/knowledgeable, what was likely a 10k investment pays off way more. Pair that kitchen with painting/cleaning the house and maybe a few other random updates like vanities and fixtures so it doesn't look old and you probably catch a huge profit out of relatively low labor costs. Also, guts may be cheaper if you can just paint with no dropcloths, throw standard cabinets/other stuff in and just use bulk buys to turn a profit without that high end a crew (as you only need real folks for a small number of things and rando laborers for the other shit).

The “developers” making money doing this are contractors with RE licenses…. The economics make more sense when your not paying 20% to a builder and 6% to an agent.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm looking to buy a house butyeah most of what I see is fix and flips

Someone has a line on a place never gets listed sold for 200k or less Jim bob and his realtor buddy dump 20k - 60k into it you know top of the line LVT flooring cheap cabinets stainless steel appliances maybe even spluge for solid surface counter hey even some floating shelvves that will fall off the wall in just over a years time dog shit paint crap carpet some pizazz in bathroom maybe even take out a wall for that open floor plan feel

Sell for 550k mega profit you can do it too

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Nothing screams RUN like lvt. What is exactly luxurious about glue down vinyl strips ?

LVT is the shit for mud rooms, laundry rooms, and workout rooms.

Only reason to use it in any other living area is if you have a pack of psycho dogs who will tear up anything else on the floor.

and rentals

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Nothing screams RUN like lvt. What is exactly luxurious about glue down vinyl strips ?
    I like the stuff in our kitchen. It certainly isn't luxurious but neither is the rest of the kitchen or the rest of the house. And it was definitely an improvement on the at least 50 year old vinyl that was there before. I figure the house is in for a gut job by whoever buys the house from our kids. Starting with the asbestos covered gravity furnace--that one is 90 years old.

and rentals
    Fuck yeah. Thankfully I'm out of the rental business for awhile.

and rentals
    Good point. It always makes me laugh when I see a primary residence for sale with it all over the house with a home depot remodel.
    It reminds me using .99 glue down vinyl tiles in a kitchen when I was 27 with $300 left to my name to finish a kitchen floor to make it rentable.

Vinyl plank is my preferred floor on cement.

You can do a floating floor. But there’s always hollow spots that sound like shit.

Ah, yeah, I should go tour one of these places, that might make things make a whole lot more sense hah

Cheap shit drives me nuts, along with shortcuts. The amount of time I've spent redoing other peoples short cuts and replacing cheap shit.
    have a few hs friends flipping and selling in spok at volume and can verify everything they do is absolute garbage, often not to code. i’ve seen many houses flipped 3-4x in the last 10 years here, :: :: is spot on, sellers get paid buyers get fucked. depressing to watch shit work increase buying costs and it’s the norm in this market

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    have a few hs friends flipping and selling in spok at volume and can verify everything they do is absolute garbage, often not to code. i’ve seen many houses flipped 3-4x in the last 10 years here, :: :: is spot on, sellers get paid buyers get fucked. depressing to watch shit work increase buying costs and it’s the norm in this market
    Those quick flips with crappy gray everything are so obvious, it surprises me that any buyer would go in thinking the work was well done. We saw a superficially nice house off of Rockwood that had lumpy LVP in the basement, as well as a newly-framed out laundry room with the hookups in but no appliances. We walked into the laundry room and realized the layout would make it impossible to fit a washer and dryer where the hookups were. Kind of mind boggling that people are buying that stuff

If the stuff you can see is shoddy, think about what you can’t.

We saw a flip when we were looking last year where the garage wouldn’t stay closed, it would just bounce off the bottom. So the solution these geniuses came up with was to put the opener’s outlet on a switch. We had to flip the switch when it hit the bottom to cut the power and keep it closed.

I've got a drop ceiling in my basement that's due for some attention. What kind of paint would be recommended to repaint the T bars?

Oil based white paint. Rust oleum

PS. I’m building a twelve by sixteen shed
    I could live in that. Quite happily.
    Why are houses so big.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Why are houses so big.
    Because your mom's gigantic ass needs to fit inside.

Houses are so big to hold everyone's stuff.
    Which begs the question, why does everyone have so much stuff.