Page 212 of 380 FirstFirst ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Thanks. My mind is still stuck in 1990. I was thinking $25 ish a sq foot for a non complicated deck. I guess I could try to tackle it myself

Attachment 386444
    That is $8K !!!!!??? PM me and I can send you a friend/renter's number that is a small time contractor in Portland. Maybe demo it yourself to save some cash as well.

Plug for product called xypex if you have an older unpainted concrete wall basement with no exterior membrane. Applied on the interior it goes into the structure of the concrete and magically sets up a crystalline structure that stops water from moving through the pores. Walls are now dry to the touch all year in Seattle. No more mold or dank smell and no more efflorescence. Stuff is amazing.

Many thanks for everyone's collective wisdom. We bit the bullet and made an offer, should have word in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes; it's a good excuse for drinks either way, right?

Mazel Tov!

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Many thanks for everyone's collective wisdom. We bit the bullet and made an offer, should have word in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes; it's a good excuse for drinks either way, right?
    You mean a good excuse for *drinking*... yeah.

"Buy a house," they said.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You mean a good excuse for *drinking*... yeah.

"Buy a house," they said.
    I used to have hobbies, then I bought a 1913 house and got projects instead

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That is $8K !!!!!??? PM me and I can send you a friend/renter's number that is a small time contractor in Portland. Maybe demo it yourself to save some cash as well.
    Do you know how much a new lifted king ranch and side by side go for these days. Someone has to pay for this.

Yeah I had some sticker shock but I have delicate hands

I may reach out for that contact after I hear back from another rec

Unfortunately I asked my friend and he said he's way too slammed right now BUT gave me a number to a "master" deck builder that is NOT licensed. If you are interested in a guy under the table give me a shout. That can be a mixed bag...

A swing and a miss, seems we were outbid. I'll make myself a drink and send this thread to the new owners so they can read up on their roof / foundation issues.

A swing and a miss, seems we were outbid. I'll make myself a drink and send this thread to the new owners so they can read up on their roof / foundation issues.
    Sucks man. You get your hopes set. You made a solid offer and get outbid. I hate home searching.

Seriously I feel you. Make a couple drinks. Maybe it's a sign you were supposed to wait for that "right" house. Glass half full shit man.

Good luck on continued search.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    LOL
    After seeing that picture? Yes..

It’s tough. Take solace that the only way to lose in this market, save some kind of pocket listing or diamond in the rough, is to not get out bid.

Now pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go find you another house to bid WAY too much money on!
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    It’s tough. Take solace that the only way to lose in this market, save some kind of pocket listing or diamond in the rough, is to not get out bid.

Now pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go find you another house to bid WAY too much money on!
    It adds to the suckage when you made a decent investment and want to move, but you are lucky today to do anything but lateral or smaller.
    The real estate thread talks about how hard it is for first time home buyers. I always considered that the "first step" to the bigger home. Not anymore, least for the foreseeable future.

I can only hope the prices hold well when I'm ready to downsize and retire.

Thanks for the kind words, mags. It is tough, but we knew it would be - we're reluctant to go too far out on a financial limb, but we seem to be competing against people who don't have those constraints. Mrs. PDX and I have agreed to keep slugging it out until March and then reassess our plans to move if we still haven't had any luck. The money we have earmarked to go towards a down payment would go pretty far towards building out a pimped-out master suite in our place in Portland if that's where we wind up.

Thanks for the kind words, mags. It is tough, but we knew it would be - we're reluctant to go too far out on a financial limb, but we seem to be competing against people who don't have those constraints. Mrs. PDX and I have agreed to keep slugging it out until March and then reassess our plans to move if we still haven't had any luck. The money we have earmarked to go towards a down payment would go pretty far towards building out a pimped-out master suite in our place in Portland if that's where we wind up.

We faced the same thing in the late 90's. Where was all the money coming from? It took us about 4 years of looking to get a bigger house, but 20/20 hindsight says we'd have been FAR better off staying where we were and making due.

Don't ever be house poor. Keeping up with the Joneses isn't worth it. Pick what fits your life and expected future.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    are there non-custom $$$ options for a good historical match?

Of course the windows upstairs means it’s already on modernish replacements
    jeldwen & sierra pacific have wood windows that aren't an arm/leg

Do you know how much a new lifted king ranch and side by side go for these days. Someone has to pay for this.

If your soils are good why don't you just pour a slab. You may end up with a slight step into the house but it is a rental.
    off your knees Louie

Hah. We built a garage some years ago. When the concrete guy showed up with a brand new monster truck--some diesel thing that was one step below the tractor of a semi-- and brand new 2x12's for his forms I shuddered. He did leave a lot of the forms though; I built several staircases out of them. (And he wasn't the one that tried to charge us more in the middle of the job. That was the excavator. The contractor, to his credit, only did that after the fact. A couple of letters from a lawyer friend put an end to that.)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    jeldwen & sierra pacific have wood windows that aren't an arm/leg
    Have new wood SP double hung in the house and do not recommend. They are poor quality, mechanisms are weak - VERY light duty. We have 2 dysfunctional out of 7. Spare parts are nowhere to be found, nor any reliable info from factory.

Decided I need 5 more windows and went right to Pella. The difference is night and day. 2 weeks after ordering (~8/1/21) we had a delivery date set, for a total wait time of 10 weeks.

Replacing old single pane double sash windows in my house...
    Because they suck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5604.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	386525
    They did open and close...mostly

Name:	IMG_5606.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	386526
    Free weights for working out

Name:	IMG_5609.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	386527
    The last installer left some caulk

Name:	IMG_5603.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	386528
    Space for the heat to flow out

Name:	IMG_5630.JPG 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	386529
    Time to modify

Name:	Image1632538435.957933.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	386530
    The best tool I own, right now

Name:	IMG_5620.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	386531
    Chop chop

Name:	Image1632538484.530474.jpg 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	386532
    New framing

Name:	Image1632538516.429992.jpg 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	386533
    Getting there

Name:	Image1632538562.051464.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	386534
    Andersen 100 Window

Name:	IMG_5619.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	386535
    Tool for the back up plan

Name:	IMG_5649.JPG 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	386536
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Fein multimasters belong in the best tool thread

Nice ^^ Have removed many of those over the years. Can you imagine how horrible it was casting those pig iron weights back in the day? 12-16 hours a day six days a week, fuck that.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Nice ^^ Have removed many of those over the years. Can you imagine how horrible it was casting those pig iron weights back in the day? 12-16 hours a day six days a week, fuck that.
    It’s filthy in those pockets for the weights...no treasures found ☹️
    Andersen Renewal quoted us $42,000 to remove the old windows and install the new ones but I’ve heard mixed reviews about their installers and didn’t trust them not to fuck up the interior trimwork so we bought these Andersen windows for $7,000 and installed them myself and after doing a couple I’m glad we went that route I’m pretty sure they would have screwed up removing and reinstalling the exterior trim work plus there’s been some settling in the last 100 years making some of the openings crooked
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Those window weights make good kayak fishing anchors. They do the job and dont get hung up. My dad used them and made them for lots of guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk