Page 210 of 380 FirstFirst ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 9497
    My milwaukee sawzall is 30 years old. Needs an allen wrench to change blades, which is a PITA, especially since the original case rusted and I have to remove even the smallest blade to put it in the new case. I have a Ryobi 18 cordless which did a serviceable job of taking down a good size standard grapefruit tree. Blade changes are a snap. I can actually do it with my eyes closed, although when I do I tend to put in the wrong blade.

New owner is totally gutting and renovating the 2 family down the street from us. Complete DIY job. He's a master electrician, "almost licensed" plumber, and has been bringing in a bunch of day laborers.

(He did have a legit crew come in to do the roof)

Upstairs tenant is legally there until Dec, which has hampered his plans a bit.

Anyways, this went up yesterday. SMH...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210922_172842.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	386264

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    New owner is totally gutting and renovating the 2 family down the street from us. Complete DIY job. He's a master electrician, "almost licensed" plumber, and has been bringing in a bunch of day laborers.

(He did have a legit crew come in to do the roof)

Upstairs tenant is legally there until Dec, which has hampered his plans a bit.

Anyways, this went up yesterday. SMH...

Have to remember this trick next time.

Please update this project as it unfolds. I am betting the trim details get lost.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The vinyl windows really tie the details together.

Did they tyvek over a door?

I hope I never have to house wrap a house, but if I do I will do it upside down cause it would drive people crazy and I'd love it.

A house in the old neighborhood was wrapped with “Never Stop Improving” Lowe’s house wrap.

Sat like that for a couple years. Always thought it was ironic.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I hope I never have to house wrap a house, but if I do I will do it upside down cause it would drive people crazy and I'd love it.
    I'm helping my buddy with a remodel and deliberately started the first roll of Tyvek upside down when he wasn't paying attention. On the plus side that got him super motivated to buy siding rather than having a Tyvek covered addition all winter.

Lowes 100 ain't got nothing on 001 sewol .

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    The vinyl windows really tie the details together.

Did they tyvek over a door?
    What's wrong with vinyl windows, if that's what you can afford and it's in keeping with the general level of detail in the house?. I have some vinyl windows, they go up and down, they keep out the rain and snow, you can see through them. I have some fancy wooden windows (Pella) that have rotting sills to the point where you can't close them ( casements).

Nothing wrong with vinyl the material.

My point was more that the style clearly doesn't match the house, and as VT-Freeheel pointed out they details are likely going to be lost.

My point was more that the style clearly doesn't match the house, and as VT-Freeheel pointed out they details are likely going to be lost.
    Well he is stripping vinyl siding.

But sadly yes. If he ain’t paying for two over one lites then he’s not putting back that thick corner board or the frieze board or the window trim caps.

Hell I’d be shocked if he had any trim when finished. J Chanel right on the window.
    Man that is one ugly look.
    . . .

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What's wrong with vinyl windows, if that's what you can afford and it's in keeping with the general level of detail in the house?. I have some vinyl windows, they go up and down, they keep out the rain and snow, you can see through them. I have some fancy wooden windows (Pella) that have rotting sills to the point where you can't close them ( casements).
    We’ve got another 5 years of the Anderson-Milgard Cartel pushing black metal windows before that’s played out and they switch back to White Vinyl. There are still HGTV loving housewives with deep checkbooks to drain….
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    A house in the old neighborhood was wrapped with “Never Stop Improving” Lowe’s house wrap.

Sat like that for a couple years. Always thought it was ironic.
    Was this Upstate?

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

Between this and the fashion advice being given in the Random Questions thread, I may have a meltdown today.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Vinyl - what’s wrong with it?

Vinyl’s environmental profile isn’t great.

Weaker construction than other types, so smaller size options & poorer durability in harsh environments. Also limits more robust glazing options that might offer better thermal performance.

Because it’s the cheapest line, it is often the least customizable & mfrs offer few profiles to match traditional window profiles.

You can’t paint it. So, white, beige, & maybe a gray or bronze get offered, sometimes black.

I don't know where that picture was taken and it's hard to know without seeing more, but it looks like the lower story is a below-the-main-floor story. In Sacramento in the older neighborhoods it's common to see houses that were built when flooding was common with a full story below the main floor. These were expected to be flooded; nowadays they are storage areas, "basement" apartments, etc and the detailing is often much simpler than the main and upper floors.

Those windows can certainly be trimmed out to look the same as the upper floor windows, except for the divided lights in the upper sashes.

Vinyl windows aren't the best. Not everybody can afford the best. But window snobbery is what you would expect from a forum in which an espresso machine costing less than $5K isn't worth considering.

Does anyone know what it might cost to put on a new roof assuming about 1100 square feet, the decking doesn't need to be replaced, and we're removing old asphalt shingles and replacing with new ones?

Totally hypothetical, of course - the hypothetical house is located in Bellingham. Could hypothetically wait until the spring if it makes a difference.

What, you're too good for blue tarps?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't know where that picture was taken and it's hard to know without seeing more, but it looks like the lower story is a below-the-main-floor story. In Sacramento in the older neighborhoods it's common to see houses that were built when flooding was common with a full story below the main floor. These were expected to be flooded; nowadays they are storage areas, "basement" apartments, etc and the detailing is often much simpler than the main and upper floors.

Those windows can certainly be trimmed out to look the same as the upper floor windows, except for the divided lights in the upper sashes.

Vinyl windows aren't the best. Not everybody can afford the best. But window snobbery is what you would expect from a forum in which an espresso machine costing less than $5K isn't worth considering.
    Looks like the upper are vinyl as well and looking at that exquisite vinyl siding the windows not matching probably is the least of the home owners worries. Should we start a pool on how long that wrap stays exposed before the home owner can round up some siding ?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    What, you're too good for blue tarps?
    I wouldn't say that, but I would like the neighbors to be willing to talk to me

Good god, why?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I wouldn't say that, but I would like the neighbors to be willing to talk to me
    if blue tarps are what it takes I'm buying a crate load.

Every property should be deftly seasoned with a few shredded tarps as well as a rusty water heater or two and maybe even an old toilet.
    Let's you know who's a friend and whose a nimby.

I am, however, violently guilty of not only too many commas, but the vinyl window transgression of divine home design. It's the #dreamshack and there in the recycled building material lot, they simpered, sashayed, made eyes at me and I was lost to the charms of their discount entreaties. They're white, but at $50 a pop, I fell astray.

Can I buy an indulgence from Dwell?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Does anyone know what it might cost to put on a new roof assuming about 1100 square feet, the decking doesn't need to be replaced, and we're removing old asphalt shingles and replacing with new ones?

Totally hypothetical, of course - the hypothetical house is located in Bellingham. Could hypothetically wait until the spring if it makes a difference.
    $10k

I know Vynal would out class my aluminium siding and entirely mess with the feng shui
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know