Page 73 of 384 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 9594

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Getting into at least one stud will help a lot.

I have installed 3/4” ply cut carefully into the drywall behind the plate spanning 2 studs, then painted to match wall. Then mount the plate wherever centered makes sense for you. The TV itself will hide the mod that extends beyond the plate. Cutting into the wall also gives you a chance to run wiring to a new box.

Is this acceptable for new wood flooring job or am I being picky?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swirls.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	949.5 KB 
ID:	322391

What did the planks look like before being installed? If what appears to be scratch marks, possibly done after installation, you have a legitimate beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    What did the planks look like before being installed? If what appears to be scratch marks, possibly done after installation, you have a legitimate beef.
    Not from the supplier....they look like sanding swirls and go across planks so it wasn't in the wood...despite that I would expect any scratches in the wood to be gone from the refinish job...hence the whole reason for refinishing. They are essentially everywhere in the perhaps 1500-2000 sqft of flooring done. Probably show up more so given the dark stain.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Is this acceptable for new wood flooring job?

no, that's a fucking mess

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    no, that's a fucking mess
    Thanks....its not really noticeable from a standing height but if I stoop down yeah I can see it noticeably.

Solution - full strip or light sanding and ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    The mount accommodates 16"OC studs, its just 16" wide in total so it's off-center.
    Mount is shown above - articulation would probably allow it to be centered from off-center studs, maybe at the expense of depth.
    I get that the mount accounts for 16", but every mount I've seen (admittedly not many but a few) allows for the TV to be attached to the mount in an offset manner. That is, find the studs closest to where you want the TV, attach the mount to the wall using the studs, and attach the TV to the mount so the TV is centered where you want it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Is this acceptable for new wood flooring job or am I being picky?

Garbage work.

Getting into at least one stud will help a lot.

I have installed 3/4” ply cut carefully into the drywall behind the plate spanning 2 studs, then painted to match wall. Then mount the plate wherever centered makes sense for you. The TV itself will hide the mod that extends beyond the plate. Cutting into the wall also gives you a chance to run wiring to a new box.
    I just use white spray painted piece of 3/4 that I just lag into studs on to the outside face of the gyp. No need to cut it in if you have a simple flat mount. You will never see the thing. Unless you u spent too much money on a fancy mount that twists and turns in all sorts of stupid angles

Name:	Image1585267735.495259.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	322416

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Been doing the basement with my retired father. He's been doing most of the work. Slowly. Up til now slow was ok, but we are a 1 floor house and not spare rooms. The WFH has been hard. Should have it sanded and at least primed so I can set up office by end of this weekend. All walls have closed cell spray foam and ceilings open cell. It's 3/4 of basement. Other 1/4 laundry. Semi finished. Will add 3 piece bath this year at some point.

Fyi, mud makes everything straight of you know how to spread it. Name:  IMG-20190528-WA0006.jpeg
Views: 468
Size:  48.5 KBName:  IMG-20190528-WA0005.jpeg
Views: 473
Size:  58.0 KBName:  IMG-20190528-WA0003.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  66.7 KBName:  IMG-20190528-WA0004.jpeg
Views: 551
Size:  64.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	a581831a6264b7fd775f7d693ffdc6ead0209e2f-14.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	322435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ae508d8dc0d31a1ebfbf6343ced76cc4bad568d3-14.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	322436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200321_150344.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	322437

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks....its not really noticeable from a standing height but if I stoop down yeah I can see it noticeably.

Solution - full strip or light sanding and ?
    They need to do the remaining passes of finer grit sanding that they skipped out on. Then re-apply the finish.

They need to do the remaining passes of finer grit sanding that they skipped out on. Then re-apply the finish.
    Thanks for the advice. I gave my GC a heads up for tomorrow when we have final walk thru that its NOT satisfactory.

Delayed a month waiting for a vanity, but still took forever. Learned a ton, saved a ton, but lost most of my winter.

Name:	IMG_9572.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	322478

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9572.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	672.7 KB 
ID:	322477  
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Nice slideshow ^^

Is that water heater teed into the furnace vent? That's not kosher around here.
    I am glad I am not sanding your basement. Especially with a lack of masks for sale. I am a good but painfully slow taper and it took a good number of buckets-o-mud before I got to a point where sanding is a quick trip around the room.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Nice slideshow ^^

Is that water heater teed into the furnace vent? That's not kosher around here.
    I am glad I am not sanding your basement. Especially with a lack of masks for sale. I am a good but painfully slow taper and it took a good number of buckets-o-mud before I got to a point where sanding is a quick trip around the room.

Yeah dad's not as deft of hand as I. You can for sure tell it's a couple different people applying. I'm doing a lot of fixes and feathering.

To his credit. The basement ceiling beams were fucked. It's a 1940 house. Noting square, nothing centered.

Sanding will do be pleasant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice. I gave my GC a heads up for tomorrow when we have final walk thru that its NOT satisfactory.
    Sub is saying that he used 120 grit rough sand and followed up with the finer sands after but with the darker stains you will get this - sander has three rotating heads - he said he used the same stain color on his floor and has that too (Maybe he doesn't realize its him?) . Said you can only go so fine on sanding else the stain won't pick up in the wood? However it was pointed out that the stairs were perfect when using the hand sander. Since the GC is passing me the info, I think the explanation is lost. I'll have to see if we can get the sub here to explain.

Yah I am a jong on floors. But it just doesn't seem right that I shouldn't get a nice clean finish no matter what color stain like on the stairs.

it just doesn't seem right that I shouldn't get a nice clean finish no matter what color stain like on the stairs.
    your gut is correct...be polite & firm. You do not have to tell them how to do it, just be clear about the standard that they are clearly able to hit (your stair treads).

it's really hard to say over the internet, but his process clearly had some hitch in it -- maybe just scrubbed debris into his own good work? who knows? ...it just needs correction

Since the GC is passing me the info, I think the explanation is lost. I'll have to see if we can get the sub here to explain..
    Shouldn't this be a GC issue? GC should know it was done right and take care of it, right? You don't need to talk the sub, that's the GCs job.

Then again how contractors work makes no sense to me, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Shouldn't this be a GC issue? GC should know it was done right and take care of it, right? You don't need to talk the sub, that's the GCs job.

Then again how contractors work makes no sense to me, I could be wrong.
    Don't know....I am sure it varies from contractor to contractor...but in this case I am sure everyone is gonna fight a redo. I may need a second opinion as the general is kinda pulling the "We know what we see everyday and what the standard is. If you have a different solution then you need to tell us" Sub is coming this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    ^great slidshow. I have a similar small space bathroom remodel to do. Your pics give me some visualization on what my final product may result in.... I'm struggling with some choices - like do I entertain the idea of punching a hole in the shower wall for venting / light? I have a tall ceiling and a skylight but miss the window.

Tell your GC you need the floors resanded by a different company.

Nice work bags. And especially the final frame of the gif.

Thinkin' about back to the future with our next remodel..

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    ^great slidshow. I have a similar small space bathroom remodel to do. Your pics give me some visualization on what my final product may result in.... I'm struggling with some choices - like do I entertain the idea of punching a hole in the shower wall for venting / light? I have a tall ceiling and a skylight but miss the window.
    I started the bathroom on a whim the day after we put an offer in on a house. The original idea was to do quick and cheap. We ended up not getting the house, but that was after nearly three weeks of negotiation and enough progress on the shower area that I wasn't willing to undo.

All that to say, if I was doing it again, I'd definitely put a window in the back wall of the shower.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Nice work bags!

"We know what we see everyday and what the standard is. If you have a different solution then you need to tell us" Sub is coming this afternoon.
    If he's going to short arm this, you may need to start being an asshole to get him to perform.

It is not your job to get his subs to perform. It is your job to pay him in a timely manner when the correct work has been done. That timely manner is entirely dependent on the work being done correctly...know what i'm sayin?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Tell your GC you need the floors resanded by a different company.
    maybe if that really is the best his sub can do, this ^^^ is the solution?