Page 151 of 384 FirstFirst ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 9587
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    So you didn't even get high? What kind of painter are you?

I finally learned why they are the way they are after spraying a lot of lacquer myself while wearing a full face respirator and having painters tell me that they do it bare faced with just some fans for ventilation.
    I used to work with a guy who told a story about driving by one of his projects late at night, and the lights were on. He went in to find the painter passed out with his finger still pulling on the sprayer, and the lacquer bucket empty.

That shit is foul.

I have a side of my house with rake cedar siding that is cupping and causing nail pops. Can I just renail and fill gaps with painters caulking ? It's a south facing side that's been neglected and raked shingle is pretty damn expensive.

I want to put a window in my garage wall. Hire a framer, or is it an easy enough DIY?

If you have wood or fiber cement siding (or alu/vinyl siding), then yeah, nbd...lotsa help online

if you have brick or eifs or some specialty siding, then you may want a pro to handle that.

The waterproofing is the hard part either way, not the framing (assuming a conventionally sized window)

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I want to put a window in my garage wall. Hire a framer, or is it an easy enough DIY?

I wouldn't recommend it in Renton. Windows and man doors in garages scream "BREAK INTO ME!"

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    So you didn't even get high? What kind of painter are you?

I finally learned why they are the way they are after spraying a lot of lacquer myself while wearing a full face respirator and having painters tell me that they do it bare faced with just some fans for ventilation.
    Actually, that's called getting 'low'
    I know of a cabinet dude here in town that sprays w/ out a mask. He is bald from it. By bald I mean no eyebrows or eyelashes(and none on dome either). We called him
    Uncle Fester.
    Down draft booth or fresh air mask ftw when spraying solvent based products

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I have a side of my house with rake cedar siding that is cupping and causing nail pops. Can I just renail and fill gaps with painters caulking ? It's a south facing side that's been neglected and raked shingle is pretty damn expensive.
    Boiled linseed oil reduced 4:1 with turpentine or mineral spirits should introduce moisture/oils back to the wood. It helps w/ splitting, cracking and warping.
    Any rags used should be treated as though they can spontaneously combust

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Boiled linseed oil reduced 4:1 with turpentine or mineral spirits should introduce moisture/oils back to the wood. It helps w/ splitting, cracking and warping.
    It's painted.

I don't have a fix for it, but the pro-tip for preventing (or at least curtailing) cupping in the future is to dip the shingles in stain prior to installing them.

Only prevention is constant maintence

i've seen that happen with rags just lying in the sun on the ground while doing the cedar siding on GF's house , it is amazing just how easily they spontaneously catch
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Only prevention is constant maintence
    Sure, but they stay flatter longer when when dipped IME.

Not disputing that. Sun and weather take moisture/oils away from the wood making them much less resilient. Shit needs to be added back @ least every 2-3 yrs depending on exposure

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i've seen that happen with rags just lying in the sun on the ground while doing the cedar siding on GF's house , it is amazing just how easily they spontaneously catch
    Oh yeah. It's no joke!
    About 10 yrs ago my girls saved a neighbor's house in when they noticed smoke billowing out of his truck topper, which was parked directly under his cantilevered split level

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    If you have wood or fiber cement siding (or alu/vinyl siding), then yeah, nbd...lotsa help online

if you have brick or eifs or some specialty siding, then you may want a pro to handle that.

The waterproofing is the hard part either way, not the framing (assuming a conventionally sized window)
    It's simple wood siding. Awesome, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it in Renton. Windows and man doors in garages scream "BREAK INTO ME!"
    Good looking out. Fortunately, it's a quiet part of Renton...for now.

11 months into our remodel. What a grind.......latest issue is tile dealer sold us tile that wasn't in stock after the first words out of my mouth was "don't sell me anything that wasn't in stock." Of course the tile plant in TX got shut down after a covid outbreak. I feel like cancelling the order, because Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    It's simple wood siding. Awesome, thanks!

Good looking out. Fortunately, it's a quiet part of Renton...for now.
    Renton is sketchy. People breaking into my moms mailbox, house, stealing her car. And that’s in a pretty decent area.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    11 months into our remodel. What a grind.......latest issue is tile dealer sold us tile that wasn't in stock after the first words out of my mouth was "don't sell me anything that wasn't in stock." Of course the tile plant in TX got shut down after a covid outbreak. I feel like cancelling the order, because Texas.
    Drive to Floor and Decor, purchase tile. Life goes on. Delivery dates for out of stock products are guesses right now. Everyone is lying to everyone. If you can't touch it, assume is doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Renton is sketchy. People breaking into my moms mailbox, house, stealing her car. And that’s in a pretty decent area.
    I sometimes joke about Renton having its own microclimates, but it's a large area. I see crime just a couple blocks away from super quiet, upscale neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Drive to Floor and Decor, purchase tile. Life goes on. Delivery dates for out of stock products are guesses right now. Everyone is lying to everyone. If you can't touch it, assume is doesn't exist.
    what he said seriously
    people are selling shit and people are buying the product could be in china could be in stock could be floating in a container at the bottom of the sea

sales people are doing what they do best as always lying

The only people who aren't lying are the people who are telling you they don't know

and that could be any product from bicycles to floor tiles
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So, we're getting closer to bombing half our house, full gut remodel on the bedrooms and bathrooms and den. Purpose - it's a 1970's hippy built and the master and hall bathrooms are smaller than in a 737, and the master closet is pretty ridiculously small too. We're pretty sure we can move walls around and reconfigure to get a bigger master bath and closet, keep the same size hall bath, move doorways, etc to make it work. Eye is on personal preference but resale is a consideration.

The sticking point? I want to get rid of the bathtub in the hall bathroom. No bathtubs in the house. I hate them. My lovely wife is violently against the idea. She's a dirt merchant and is convinced resale will go into the toilet. This issue might very well get us into counseling. What says the massive? Good idea, stick to your position. Or.. Bad idea, listen to your wife you idiot.

TL/DR I want to get rid of the bath tub when we remodel. Wife hates the idea a lot. Who wins?

I think you need 1 tub someplace in the house. But doesn't have to be the master. We went for a sweet master shower setup, guest bath has the shower/tub combo.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

current config is: master bath - shower, hall bath - tub. I want the hall bath tub gone.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    So, we're getting closer to bombing half our house, full gut remodel on the bedrooms and bathrooms and den. Purpose - it's a 1970's hippy built and the master and hall bathrooms are smaller than in a 737, and the master closet is pretty ridiculously small too. We're pretty sure we can move walls around and reconfigure to get a bigger master bath and closet, keep the same size hall bath, move doorways, etc to make it work. Eye is on personal preference but resale is a consideration.

The sticking point? I want to get rid of the bathtub in the hall bathroom. No bathtubs in the house. I hate them. My lovely wife is violently against the idea. She's a dirt merchant and is convinced resale will go into the toilet. This issue might very well get us into counseling. What says the massive? Good idea, stick to your position. Or.. Bad idea, listen to your wife you idiot.

TL/DR I want to get rid of the bath tub when we remodel. Wife hates the idea a lot. Who wins?
    I think she's right sadly. No tub takes out every buyer that has small children. Thats a lot of buyers. Showering with a kid or bathing in some makeshift basin tub gets old FAST.