Page 66 of 384 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 9597
    So I guess something like this is out of the question...

Bought the sink, had a local fabricator that does commercial kitchens weld it into a countertop. The seam is invisible, it's great for cleaning, but I get this look is not for everyone.

Name:  O5xSDEf.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  70.6 KB

The look is fine-personally I like a double sink--soapy water in one side, rinse or drying rack in the other, whichever you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    So I guess something like this is out of the question...

Bought the sink, had a local fabricator that does commercial kitchens weld it into a countertop. The seam is invisible, it's great for cleaning, but I get this look is not for everyone.

Name:  O5xSDEf.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  70.6 KB
    I actually like that a lot, and looks like the ones iceman linked. And it would get the wife on board. Mind if I ask how much labor and materials all together cost?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I actually like that a lot, and looks like the ones iceman linked. And it would get the wife on board. Mind if I ask how much labor and materials all together cost?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The sink is actually a cheapie from Overstock. The brand is Vigo: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...39/subcat.html

I did this about 5 years ago, in Portland, so today's pricing in your location may have changed. I don't remember exactly what the sink cost us, but maybe in the $200-$300 range, and it came with a faucet which is admittedly not amazing, but works fine. It's worth noting that the people I worked with could have built a custom sink too - I didn't necessarily need to bring one - but I didn't realize that was an option initially.

To get the sink fabricated into a countertop, I first talked to counter contractors focused on residential, and the quotes were stupid - on the order of $4k for approx. 25 square feet (it's an "L" shape that's about 7 feet on the long side). I called around and got the commercial stainless guys I mentioned - they were at $1700 to fabricate with the sink I purchased, deliver, and install, but I got them down to around $1,350 and installed it myself. It's an Ikea kitchen, and I had installed the bottom cabs and the subtop for the countertop, so I figured installation was not a big deal, but it turned out to be kind of a PITA because there are walls on both sides of the sink run, it was a tight fit, and a big chunk of stainless is not that heavy but is floppy and awkward to move around.

It has all the fingerprint issues that you know and love if you have stainless appliances, but I like that it's easy to clean and bulletproof. One note on that: stainless does not like hot pans directly on top because it can damage the bond to the sub top (we used construction adhesive). Use a trivet!

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post

It has all the fingerprint issues~but I like that it's easy to clean
    Easy to clean in what respect?

I have stainless counters and they are the fucking jam. I like that sink welded in and might add it. The current white porcelain one is looking old and haggard.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Easy to clean in what respect?
    Mainly that it's 100% non-porous. We broke a full glass of red wine on it a few weeks after we installed it...would have been worried about staining with most other countertop materials, but we were able to laugh it off and just wipe it into the sink.

I wouldn’t have picked all white but my 30 y/o Corian counter with white cast iron sink still looks great for me. I’d paint the cabinets but not sure I want it now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,017.6 KB 
ID:	316190

Welp, I've got all my supplies for the guest bathroom remodel that I mentioned a couple pages ago. I've decided to keep the existing tub and redo everything else in the bathroom.

Mentioned this to my parents today (they are the most recent occupants of my guest room) and they asked what I was going to to about the creeking, flexing bottom of the tub. I haven't showered in that room in years, so the creaking wasn't on my radar.

I went in and checked it out and sure enough, the tub flexes and creaks if you stand in one spot.

This makes me question whether the tub is actually cast iron, but also if there is a way to reinforce it while the rest of the bathroom is in demo mode.

What's the verdict- Replace the entire tub? Reinforce by spraying expanding foam under the tub? Any other ideas?

I wouldn’t have picked all white but my 30 y/o Corian counter with white cast iron sink still looks great for me. I’d paint the cabinets but not sure I want it now.

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,017.6 KB 
ID:	316190
    holy sh*t that dishwasher is a relic.
    they don't make them like they used to though. we get a new one at my office every few yrs even though it gets less use than mine at home (also somewhat a relic but more modern than the pushbutton era)
    skid luxury

If it creaks it ain't cast iron. Likely fiberglass that is breaking down. Spray foam isn't going to fix it. Bathfitters shell or I would replace it if it was mine. ICP asks if you used a magnet to check the tub?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Who takes baths? Take it out, fix the floor, and put in a shower, especially if you have another tub.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    holy sh*t that dishwasher is a relic.
    I mentioned it in the dishwasher thread. Never a problem and cleans great. At least 25 y/o. Not going to replace it for vanity.

The only other tub in my house is in the basement (already removed the master bathroom tub), so I think it would hurt resale value to remove this tub.

Just checked and the tub is magnetic. I'm going to assume it is the cheapest cast iron money could buy for a 1992 spec home.

This brings up other important questions like "is the subfloor intact" and "how the hell is there flexing going on in a cast iron tub?"

if it's cast iron, no way the tub is flexing and creaking - it's got to be the subfloor/framing underneath it. You got a crawlspace underneath to check framing and for water damage?

All that being said, I say get rid of it. I hate bathtubs, and fuck resale. But that's just me, and I'm currently fighting the resale battle with my wife over remodeling our baths.

Magnetic could be enameled steel which could flex enough to creek. It’s possible it was installed on a mud bed and that’s breaking up and making noise under the tub.

Enameled steel wouldn’t be too difficult to pull up and check and reuse or replace. Cast iron is a different story due to the weight.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Who takes baths? Take it out, fix the floor, and put in a shower, especially if you have another tub.
    I mentioned it in the dishwasher thread. Never a problem and cleans great. At least 25 y/o. Not going to replace it for vanity.
    I get this thinking, but it made me chuckle seeing these polar opposite mindsets back to back.

For the record though, I don't see how Kevo gets around this without removing the tub because this sounds like a subfloor issue, so might as well add a shower. If you have 1 tub in the house you have enough that resale won't get tinged.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I get this thinking, but it made me chuckle seeing these polar opposite mindsets back to back.
    Because they are completely uncorrelated? I use dishwasher every day. I haven't taken a bath in decades. What's your point?

I survived the insulating and sheetrock. Hired two friends for the day and the lift. Went fairly easy. Ready to step up. Want to turn two decks in to sun porches and add around 15 feet to one side of the house. Would include new bathroom and possibly utility room. None of the local architects or builders return calls.
    Was wondering about https://www.homedesignsoftware.tv/pp...SABEgJfRvD_BwE
    anyone have experience with this product or recommendation on another one.
    off your knees Louie

i've been using sketchup (free version) for all my plans (no codes/permits area). if you need full architectural docs i believe you would need the pro version.

Because they are completely uncorrelated? I use dishwasher every day. I haven't taken a bath in decades. What's your point?
    That you are pro-reno then anti-reno based on nothing but your personal preferences. Like I said I get the thinking but its just funny. It's not a slight so settle down Francis.

PS. Ask any mother whether a bathtub is important or not.
    Live Free or Die

The tub is steel if you live in any sort of track home its steel if the back of the tub is more up and down than angled its steel a cast iron tub does not make any noise when you stand in it a steel tub has cheep foam between the tub and the floor it probably was installed poorly to begin with tap the tub if it echos its steel if it sounds solid its cast iron I'll bet anything its steel tear it out put a shower in dont over think it

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

PS. Ask any mother whether a bathtub is important or not.
    Hand shower with plastic tub in door less shower works great for kids. Better than tub

Hand shower with plastic tub in door less shower works great for kids. Better than tub
    So you're a mother? I thought you were a dude. Sorry for assuming your gender.

I'm gonna agree with AdironRider here - tub is going to be important to a significant portion of the population.

That said, this thread is officially:

Y’all accountable to your women. I get it. Here’s my remodels.

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1,006.2 KB 
ID:	316303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,013.6 KB 
ID:	316304