Page 291 of 380 FirstFirst ... 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 ... LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,275 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Exactly, a washing will clean out a little, wash off dirt and maybe a little treatment. Make it a little more porous. Make sure it's dry.

I'd second guess the no pigment idea. The pigment gives you a fair amount of UV protection and durability.

To make back brushing a fence easier, look for a 5-6 inch brush that has a screw out handle. I use a Bestt Liebco Master/Stainer.
    Put a longer broom handle on it and brush long strokes from a standing position.
    Brushing out 160' with a handbrush will crush your back.

The indecision issue...I deal with that a lot.

PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I'd go w/ a 3" brush, so you can sling the tight areas and get a different Best Liebco product, one of theseAttachment 424552Attachment 424555.
    Flood coat your wood and pay attention to soaking the shit out of end grain.
    Things are no joke fence and rough wood slayers.
    Don't be tempted to buy the rough surface brush made by Shur-line! It sukbalz comparatively
    As much as I like the name ruff rider, I’d go with a big ass hefty brush on a stick, as suggested by Djongo.

Or. Play Tom Sawyer and get your friends to do it for you.

And. Put pigment in the stain. Get her done and the ladies will smile.

Or. If you’re all set on clear use Thompson water seal in a backpack sprayer and call it done.

Roto brushes !?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    As much as I like the name ruff rider, I’d go with a big ass hefty brush on a stick, as suggested by Djongo.

Or. Play Tom Sawyer and get your friends to do it for you.

And. Put pigment in the stain. Get her done and the ladies will smile.

Or. If you’re all set on clear use Thompson water seal in a backpack sprayer and call it done.
    If you like spending more time and want to make the task physically harder, yep, stick with a brush on a stick.
    And never, and I mean ever, use Thompsens water seal on anything.
    Backpack sprayers are a waste of time and money imo

TWS? LOL!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

From my oh so limited experience of one fence 18 years ago:
    1. Hit it with the garden hose and a spray nozzle. You want to clean it, not strip it.
    2. Let it bake in the hot CO sun for a couple days.
    3. Big fat coarse brush. Go slow. You want to push that shit in through all that rough grain. This is why you waited a year before staining. This is why you washed and then let it bake in the sun. The first coat is the most important. It’s not supposed to create a thin film that will eventually peel off. It’s supposed to soak in like moisturizer and become one with the wood. You’re building a relationship.
    4. Get some blow job knee pads. Commit. Please her like you love her.
    5. Get a floppy hat and a lot of sun block.
    6. The second coat is where you skimp and rush. You’re just smoothing out the color. This is when it starts looking good, but first coat is where your longevity comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ext. stain is a 1 coat process. Don't skimp, flood coat that shit

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    TWS? LOL!
    I guess I’m old school. Back in the day that was the only clear sealer.

Ext. stain is a 1 coat process. Don't skimp, flood coat that shit
    Yes. That’s why I was agreeing with Djongo about a brush on a stick. Lay it on thick.

Or. If you have an airless, lay it on and brush the drips.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I guess I’m old school. Back in the day that was the only clear sealer.

Yes. That’s why I was agreeing with Djongo about a brush on a stick. Lay it on thick.

Or. If you have an airless, lay it on and brush the drips.
    Oh, I'm not disagreeing w/ Djongo in the least. FWIW, RuffRider is a brush and you can screw a stick/pole into it as well.
    I'm just saying that the RuffRider does a better job w/ less effort than a 6" brush.

If you like spending more time and want to make the task physically harder, yep, stick with a brush on a stick.
    And never, and I mean ever, use Thompsens water seal on anything.
    Backpack sprayers are a waste of time and money imo
    it was a gf's deck which had been sadly neglected (like the whole fucking house) thompson waterseal came on sale pretty close to half price, I used a mop to apply it to a deck made out of 2x6 #2 & better that had been gone over with a floor sander and it wasn't bad really, it still beeded water on year 2, the job was really quick n really easy, i am really glad i didnt spend any more time on it given what a pain she was
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I did not realize that the ruff ruder was attachable. The only pics I'd seen looked like it was a non screw on. That's cool. I'ma order one and see how it goes. Fixing to Penofin a big house next week.

Oddly, I have never seen a single one here. I may be on the local cutting edge soon.

Thompson's is generally regarded as an entry level product at best and most workers avoid it. Yet many diy'ers have decent results with it.
    I think KQ has used it at her place, which always looks buffed out.

Anything to spray it on will help. An old broken down wagner may be better than brushing it all on and God forbid if the product is thick or sticky. Slow brushing then.
    Sometimes buying a cheap wagner is best. I consider it a throwaway. Works fine to flood the surface. Usually obnoxiously loud tho...

Flood the top mostly and brush to the dryer spots. Flooding the bottom 12" will likely put a lot of product on the ground.
    Juicy is the key. Brush overloading on the back brush? Dump it on the next dry board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I found these guys today: https://carportsandmore.com/

$1,860+tax for a 10x20x8 A-frame roof (looks much cleaner than the standard roof) delivered and installed seems like a solid deal.
    Update: I pulled the trigger on this and it got installed yesterday. Looks good, the truck fits fine, and the install crew were real pros. Would definitely recommend the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Thompson's is generally regarded as an entry level product at best and most workers avoid it. Yet many diy'ers have decent results with it.
    I think KQ has used it at her place, which always looks buffed out.
    yeah I suspected this ^^ at the time, its not really stain so what is it, as it turned out cheap / quick/ easy, I havent used it since nor would I use it again but the product was right for the time and place
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-25-2022 at 07:30 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd like to replace a board on a picnic table that is warped. Looks like pine to me- it was a pretty cheap kit I assembled. Actual dimensions are 1 3/8" x 5". I can't imagine these were special planed boards, but that seems smaller than a 2x6. How do I find a replacement- my google is coming up empty or with fascia.

A fresh douglas fir 2x6 that's dripping wet in the lumber yard will be 5 1/2 x 1 1/2. By the time it dries out it will be pretty close to your dimensions--maybe 5 1/4 in width. If you find pine in the lumber yard it is more likely to be dry and won't shrink. Do you have any tools--circular saw, sander? If not, consider this an opportunity to buy tools. Always seek opportunities to buy tools. Repeat after me--"buying this tool and making X is cheaper than buying it." Repeat this until you can say it without hesitation and with complete sincerity.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    I'd like to replace a board on a picnic table that is warped. Looks like pine to me- it was a pretty cheap kit I assembled. Actual dimensions are 1 3/8" x 5". I can't imagine these were special planed boards, but that seems smaller than a 2x6. How do I find a replacement- my google is coming up empty or with fascia.
    sort thru the "kiln-dried" rack at your local lumber place til you get the piece you need (tho TBH, they may only have 2x4 kiln dried)
    as OG said, drier the better

Or save the warped board, get rid of the straight ones and go to Home Depot and find warped boards to match.

Thanks all. I think after further review I'll go to a real lumber yard and buy 5 new boards and orbital sand them as close as I can get. Thinking of getting cedar and just letting it ride until I need 5 more rather than dealing with refinishing it every year (Seattle). Probably look much nicer than one new board anyway.

Finished up my privacy fence project and happy how it turned out. Lemonaide outta lemons from the monster that got built next door (within guidelines, but WTF). It does make for a nicer "room" type of feel on the patio.

Aluminum posts (slipfence.com), pricy but worth it for no future maintenance. Timbertech composite for the boards. 7' on the two right panels, 6' on the left. Next summer will do a flagstone or similar patio on the grass area.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

good work. more importantly, what’s your handicap?

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    good work. more importantly, what’s your handicap?
    Poor handicap...haven't hit the course more than 3x this year. Haven't broke 90 yet, but knocking on the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Finished up my privacy fence project and happy how it turned out. Lemonaide outta lemons from the monster that got built next door (within guidelines, but WTF). It does make for a nicer "room" type of feel on the patio.
    Looks great. Can't imagine why that house hasn't sold yet, though to be fair, it does look like a fun place to have a rager (if you were 19).

I'll try not to brain anyone sitting on that couch! Can you relax or do you have to keep an eye out whenever anyone's on 16 tee?

We've had a few close calls but nothing while on the couch. I have found a ball or two on the couch when we were away, and we frequently hear them bounce off the roof of our place or the neighbors. I'm at 62 balls now in the yard for this year and those are just the ones I've collected. It was over 120 last year.

I do try and face the incoming tee box when I'm out there.

Do you have the hurricane rated windows on that side, or just hope people are honest if they break one?

They are impact resistant with a $100 replacement. Any balls that have hit the house have been glancing blows (3yrs here). We do have a small transom window that could take a direct impact, I've contemplated adding a sheet of plexiglass over the top of that one. We don't use that window, it was a poorly thought out part of the design.

About windows: I have a cracked window (the sliding part), and I've never dealt with anything like this. I'm afraid of getting fleeced - is it possible to just replace the sliding half?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk