Page 119 of 385 FirstFirst ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 9618
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    pretty much what i mentioned. They used all kinda of shit for insulation. Note that most of the blown shit is just cellulose, i.e. newspaper.
    yep, you said it first. Good thing it wasn't a college final exam I was caught plagiarizing on.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What's going on with the pile of scrap wood in the wall?
    serious lolz. it's the most random approach to creating a base for a light fixture (with sheetrock in between). suuuuper sketch. they just jammed random shaped boards and shim and sorta nailed it down.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Hey, every hack who did DIY stuff in my house for the last 100+ years resembles that remark

NTblanks, looking forward to finding out what that stuff is
    I'll have to take a closer look. but it seems like a factory-produced product. the back is formed but no veneer. sort of a combo insulation/wallboard.

not just in the bathroom, incidentally. here's two shots from the bedroom showing a cutout exposing the back of the bathroom wall as well as the side cut of the bedroom wall.

can one use a shop vac (in blower mode) for blowing cellulose insulation into wall gaps?

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    can one use a shop vac (in blower mode) for blowing cellulose insulation into wall gaps?
    Home despot will rent purpose built cellulose blowers. Get one of those.

And yes you can, but you need to cut holes into each stud bay, above and below the blocking if there is any.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

In the newest picture it looks like some kind of fiber board that's acting as plaster lath and seems to be falling apart--the glue or whatever was holding the fibers together is dissolving. Not like anything I've seen in our old house. Our plaster keys through wood lath.
    https://inspectapedia.com/interiors/...aster-base.php

Can you cover it up and sell the house?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

And yes you can, but you need to cut holes into each stud bay, above and below the blocking if there is any.

Yeah Rent at Depot...

NO
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

With that said, why even try as that sounds unpossible without tearing the sheetrock to shreds.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'll have to take a closer look. but it seems like a factory-produced product. the back is formed but no veneer. sort of a combo insulation/wallboard.

not just in the bathroom, incidentally. here's two shots from the bedroom showing a cutout exposing the back of the bathroom wall as well as the side cut of the bedroom wall.
    That shit could contain asbestos, be careful.

Cool photos, thanks for posting. There's a lot of funky stuff in my 100+ year old house, but this stuff is new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Here's a web page that bears on that subject.
    https://inspectapedia.com/structure/...ain%20asbestos

That site seems to be a great resource for people who prefer to fuck things up on their own rather than call a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    thanks.

I'm going to order some body suits for demo day.

it honestly looks like strips of brown paper with mud. not to say it can't contain asbestos. but it doesn't look like the asbestos I've seen.

could easily get it tested. maybe that's the next step.

warning accepted and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Here's a web page that bears on that subject.
    https://inspectapedia.com/structure/...ain%20asbestos

That site seems to be a great resource for people who prefer to fuck things up on their own rather than call a professional.
    that's really helpful, OG.

this was good to read:

”Wood-based or cellulose-based fiberboard products are not asbestos-containing products (normally) and have been in use in the U.S. since the early 20th century, as you will see in...”

but i think I may get it tested to be certain.

i had asbestos testing done on the attic insulation and pretty sure the ceiling in parts if the house where they drilled is made of this crap. and that test came out negative. so another relevant data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah Rent at Depot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    NO
    rental it is. i imagine the purpose-built blower is far more sophisticated than a simple shop vac but figured it's worth asking.

rental it is. i imagine the purpose-built blower is far more sophisticated than a simple shop vac but figured it's worth asking.
    When you see how the rental blower works it will become clear why the shop vac won't work. Make sure you get a competent helper to feed the blower.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

that's really helpful, OG.

this was good to read:

”Wood-based or cellulose-based fiberboard products are not asbestos-containing products (normally) and have been in use in the U.S. since the early 20th century, as you will see in...”

but i think I may get it tested to be certain.

i had asbestos testing done on the attic insulation and pretty sure the ceiling in parts if the house where they drilled is made of this crap. and that test came out negative. so another relevant data point.
    Asshole anesthesiologist wannabe contractor bought the house next to us had a crew of undocumented day laborers tossing all this loose asbestos covered ductwork into the regular dumpster to go to the dump. No PPE of any kind. Plenty of lead paint in that house too. It was funny watching one of those guys literally sawing the beam he was sitting on, although he stopped in time. Eventually the guy fucked up so bad the city came and bulldozed the house. I had a patient who did that--bulldozed old houses for the city. I took 3 or 4 different lung cancers out of him over the years before it finally spread too far. Good guy, Art was.

Spray lath

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Asshole anesthesiologist wannabe contractor bought the house next to us had a crew of undocumented day laborers tossing all this loose asbestos covered ductwork into the regular dumpster to go to the dump. No PPE of any kind. Plenty of lead paint in that house too.
    I was painting the upstairs hallway in my folks house and thought I’d take on the 100 years of chipped paint layers on the trim by just scraping that shit off. Got the heat gun and got to work. I was halfway through a board when my old man stopped me and said something like “hey dumbshit, that’s 100 years worth of lead paint you’re huffing”. I was mostly relieved because it was going to take an eternity to strip all that paint.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Need some advice. Some dude on the island kicked off recently and had like 75k CDs in well made custom shelves. Local estate place basically gave them to me so I threw them in the kitchen to make an entire wall of wine as bottles fit perfectly. I could have laid them the other way but thought it might be interesting to have the bottles on their sides. I want to find little ornate, maybe bronze or black, pieces of metal that I can affix to the shelves to serve as stoppers so the wine doesn’t roll off. They should be flat with a few screw holes on one end and around 2 inches tall so I can lob the bottles over them.

I’m going to dink around the hardware store tomorrow but if you were to look online for something like this, what would you call them/search terms?

Any other ideas, besides take the thing down as the wife likes it, on a cool way to secure the wine but still make the labels very visible?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611368123.871362.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	359237

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6248.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	359238

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A thin vertical bar per column could work if you face them all in the same direction.

But then you don't get as much time with Rontele's mom

“1/8” brass [stainless steel, bronze, iron, steel, aluminum] rod”

^^^ the softer ones may get dented if mistreated
    you can go thicker on those - 3/16 or 1/4

Name:  8B8E56EB-4907-4A42-8B73-DCB1DD3D0C2E.jpeg
Views: 289
Size:  74.4 KB
    Get some gun blue & do raw steel...that would look pretty sharp without rusting; and the steel rood would be sturdy
    Last edited by ::: :::; 01-22-2021 at 08:56 PM.

You guys nailed exactly what I proposed to the wife but she wants to avoid obstructing the labels as much as possible, even if the rod/bar is thin. She comes home with bottles just because she likes the art a lot.

felt runners to create a channel? low profile, min impact

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    You guys nailed exactly what I proposed to the wife but she wants to avoid obstructing the labels as much as possible, even if the rod/bar is thin. She comes home with bottles just because she likes the art a lot.
    Riffing on what has been posted: stainless 1/8” cable or thinner.

Figure out some way to avoid a turnbuckle.