Page 213 of 380 FirstFirst ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 9498
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Replacing old single pane double sash windows in my house...
    Because they suck
    I need 1 2x4 foot window,
    fixed is fine.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I need 1 2x4 foot window,
    fixed is fine.
    The sections from the old windows are running about 34x30, there’s one newer one 33 1/2x 57 but I still have the upstairs to do, one single pane @ 52x41 and one about 39x48 and one newer window @52x52 side x side sash (2 sashes 1 unit) and there’s one newer one with wood frame 36x24 but the glass cracked after I took it out, I left my suction cup handle thing on it and it cracked just sitting when I was doing something else
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Fein multimasters belong in the best tool thread
    The Fein is the only one that anyone should buy, the difference in vibration compared to other ones is significant, it’s way more comfortable to use than any other I’ve tried
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

The sections from the old windows are running about 34x30, there’s one newer one 33 1/2x 57 but I still have the upstairs to do, one single pane @ 52x41 and one about 39x48 and one newer window @52x52 side x side sash (2 sashes 1 unit) and there’s one newer one with wood frame 36x24 but the glass cracked after I took it out, I left my suction cup handle thing on it and it cracked just sitting when I was doing something else
    Is the 39"x48" a single fixed ? If so, I'll take it.

I have a piece of stained glass from an old U district church that I want to put in our #dreamshack, but it's 43x18 (about).

It works I’m taking it out sometime next week
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632551593.113625.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	386551

Name:	Image1632551593.113625.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	386551
    I’ll have to take a closer look at what I have. Another option would be to make the frame the size you need and have a piece of glass cut to fit, with a router and a couple bits it’s not too difficult you’re basically building a picture frame .....

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Vinyl - what’s wrong with it?

Vinyl’s environmental profile isn’t great.

Weaker construction than other types, so smaller size options & poorer durability in harsh environments. Also limits more robust glazing options that might offer better thermal performance.

Because it’s the cheapest line, it is often the least customizable & mfrs offer few profiles to match traditional window profiles.

You can’t paint it. So, white, beige, & maybe a gray or bronze get offered, sometimes black.
    Agreed, vinyl does suck, but...
    Light years better that metal or aluminum framed windows. No sweating in cold environments and better thermal efficiency.
    Vinyl is a much more stable product than it was 5-10+ years ago.
    Environmental impact still sucks though
    And not so fast on the no painting vinyl, my friend. paint manufactures are now making paints for vinyl. You can even use paint that's darker than the base vinyl now, just gotta buy the right paint.

What about the fibrex, or whatever it is that Renewal by Anderson is using? I need about 6 new casement windows.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Have new wood SP double hung in the house and do not recommend. They are poor quality, mechanisms are weak - VERY light duty. We have 2 dysfunctional out of 7. Spare parts are nowhere to be found, nor any reliable info from factory.

Decided I need 5 more windows and went right to Pella. The difference is night and day. 2 weeks after ordering (~8/1/21) we had a delivery date set, for a total wait time of 10 weeks.
    I've worked on enough of these windows that I agree SP are the butch line of wood windows.
    Pellas are nice.
    Caradco's were the shit but think QC to a hit when jeld-wen bought them. But I like how you can release a couple slide clamps and remove the window from the frame for maintenance and/or painting

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What about the fibrex, or whatever it is that Renewal by Anderson is using? I need about 6 new casement windows.

I use these all the time. Same as Anderson 100 series. Stiffer and nicer the vinyl, more sustainable, etc.

Actually put them in my house. Never had a problem with them in the decade I’ve been using em. They are a good balance of price point and performance.

The Marvin windows my mom has in her house are top quality windows.
    House I'm working on now has 2 million in windows alone and looking at them(all steel), can't figure why ANYONE would want.
    Fuckin architects and designers man.....form over function

We put Marvin fiberglass w/ wood interior windows in our house during our remodel. They hit a good value line.
    Unfortunately window timelines are absolute shit right now.
    Marvin’s wood line is 6mos out last i heard

Jeldwen was closer to 3 mos & we swapped for a project in SoCal but I’d much rather have the Marvin. Owner couldn’t wait.

I haven’t seen timelines on the custom mfr’s recently but i expect they are just backlogged with orders

The Fein is the only one that anyone should buy, the difference in vibration compared to other ones is significant, it’s way more comfortable to use than any other I’ve tried
    That used to be true but the newest generation of competitors is pretty great. The 12v Milwaukee is absolutely amazing, and the 18v is a beast. I don't use my corded Fein anymore. Starlock plus is pretty incredible but I still have a big stash of the old style blades so I like that the Milwaukee allows me to use them.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I’ll have to take a closer look at what I have. Another option would be to make the frame the size you need and have a piece of glass cut to fit, with a router and a couple bits it’s not too difficult you’re basically building a picture frame .....
    Yeah, but I'm not skilled with tools, nor do I have them.

And yeah, supply is the doggie bits now; ordering basic windows is at least 6 weeks out and no guarantees.

You guys have a Rebuilding Center, or similar, near you?
    https://www.rebuildingcenter.org/what-we-sell
    Salvage windows etc

https://www.seconduse.com/

I'm sure there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    You guys have a Rebuilding Center, or similar, near you?
    https://www.rebuildingcenter.org/what-we-sell
    Salvage windows etc
    Yeah, we got a load of old full light doors and a few windows from the local bldg/salvage spot, but then by August, they had run out.
    The last one is pretty specific since I'm planning on mounting a piece of stained glass in it, so it has to be 48" tall and a max of 40" wide, but would prefer 24" wide.

We're just finishing sheathing, so I may just frame in a 48x36 and tyvek over it until we solve this last issue.

I'm teetering on just ordering this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/JELD-WEN-V-...-in/1000126893

This one is 19 3/4x 40 outside measurement and 13 1/2 x 35 3/4 inside, ETA... it might be a little bit small...with the exact dimensions I could make the pieces easily, make sure the RO is big enough for a couple inches all around the glass for the frame in any case

Name:	Image1632601247.240698.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	386617

Name:	Image1632602732.515442.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	386631

Attic insulation question for a 1950 era home. I’ve been poking around the house trying to get my energy upgrades prioritized and upping the attic insulation and air sealing the attic penetrations is high on the list.

At some point in this houses history someone installed Kraft paper back fiberglass insulation on top of 2-3 inches of vermiculite insulation. The paper is on top. The vermiculite has been tested as the non-asbestos variety but is still dusty when disturbed.

I’m not particularly interested in removing any of it, but I’m reading elsewhere that having that vapor barrier in the system precludes adding anything on top of it and might even be problematic as is. Thoughts?

The last thing I want to do is go remove ~8-900 SF of fiberglass insulation, but also don’t want to leave a ticking time bomb.

I’m toying with the idea of removing the fiberglass, air sealing and then adding fiberglass batts or blow in cellulose to get me up to R-38 so I can recoup some cost with a rebate (0.25 per SF).

Are you saying that from top to bottom it’s:

Sheathing
    Vermiculite
    Kraft paper
    Fiberglass insulation
    Air space
    Drywall

? Sorry. Was confused and wanted to make sure we understood it right?

Any plumbing advice on how to tighten a water control lever on a faucet from underneath the countertop? Moen faucet, control is separate from the faucet itself. Too tight to get a wrench around the bottom from underneath.

^^^^^^ it’s called a basin wrench
    They don’t always work if shit is really tight.

As for the insulation question, I think air sealing is overrated. If you have clean access, sure why not. But to move all that vermiculite just to spray a few holes for wiring etc? Meh.

Just like more insulation on top.

But, the vermiculite and then the vapor barrier is just wrong.
    I would peel the vapor barrier and re lay those batts and then lay fresh batts on the whole shebang. Or blow insulation on the batts
    Or throw out the batts and blow insulation on the vermiculite.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Are you saying that from top to bottom it’s:

Sheathing
    Vermiculite
    Kraft paper
    Fiberglass insulation
    Air space
    Drywall

? Sorry. Was confused and wanted to make sure we understood it right?

Attic, so working from the bottom up:

Lathe and plaster
    Vermiculite
    Fiberglass
    Kraft paper
    Air space
    Sheathing
    Roofing

When you are in the attic all you see if Kraft paper on top of the ceiling (floor of attic)

Attic insulation / vapor barrier - depending on what you have up there and where you install that vapor barrier, you could be creating a mold problem. Get a professional to review the situation…

Vermiculite - even if it is non-ACM. That shit sucks. I wouldn’t touch it without tyvek and full face.

Faucet wrench - Right next to that basin wrench in the plumbing isle there are faucet specific deep sockets and offset sockets.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA