Page 271 of 380 FirstFirst ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 9497
    [QUOTE=Touring_Sedan;6629315]If the tank is in good shape, I'd just replace the pipe and possibly the valve. Spend a bit more on the valve, you'll be happy you didn't skimp on that one when you need it. I'd definitely us a flexible line, especially with the couple of small quakes we've had over the past few years. Make sure the tank is strapped to a stud too. Show your wife where the water main shutoff is, and put one of these on the floor next to the heater. It's saved us a couple of times.

Better choice, WIFI connected so you get notified when your not home. Alarm is water, high humidity and low temp. $55 on AmazonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Honeywell.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	418225

Need a sanity check from more experienced real men.

Part of my big floor project - I removing a small closet that used to house a water heater. Already taken down the wall and door jam.

I'm 99% this last stud isn't 'bearing' jack but wanted a 'what would a maggot do?' before I finish.

It's not over a floor joist - it's barely even resting on the subfloor (floor joist is where utility knife is in pics). The 2nd story is built on these manufactured joists but I have some pre-remodel type beams that run along. This stud does tie into an ancillary ancient beam - barely. Hope these pics make it clear. The stud/closet is only like 4 ft from the supporting exterior cinderblock wall.

Floor:

Name:  055_450x600.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  46.1 KB
    Name:  056_450x600.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  51.0 KB

Ceiling:

Name:  057_450x600.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  57.4 KB

(not the actual old "beam" but similar - just a joist over to the right. To me, it looks like these hold the ceiling drywall up and nothing else)
    Name:  058_800x600.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  78.2 KB

cut the bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    cut the bitch.
    Just make sure you have the appropriate PPE

Name:  BA4BD657-2C89-4A71-A9F2-D50FEF65BE24.gif
Views: 439
Size:  202.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    cut the bitch.
    That's my man. Thank you.

Go for it. What’s the worst that could happen?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1654638979.176396.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	433.0 KB 
ID:	418331

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Go for it. What’s the worst that could happen?
    ^that's my starting point. Maybe removing this will right everything? My logic is infallible.

Edit. It's gone. Wasn't supporting squat as in the beam didn't even rest on it. Unless there was some structural ceiling drywall action in place as that was all that was between them. Couldn't see it until I remove something akin to a lintel. I'll post any subsequent collapses for yucks and maybe nudez of the misses & sis; but not together because that'd be weird.
    Last edited by CarlMega; 06-07-2022 at 05:14 PM.

Nearly every time I cut out jack studs supporting a header or even a significant beam, they seem to have no weight on them. Drywall is more structural than you'd think.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Nearly every time I cut out jack studs supporting a header or even a significant beam, they seem to have no weight on them. Drywall is more structural than you'd think.
    "Assemblies" are ridiculously strong when well build. I've seen an 80 x 20' deck float in air. I usually demo them by cutting a couple holes in the decking and basket strapping a couple joists and hooking to the crane, then I chainsaw the posts. I asked the crane operator how much pressure he has on and he said none. He cabled down a foot and nothing moved.

Thanks. I feel pretty confident on this one. It never tied in at all - just part of a makeshift door jam. It pulled off.

Name:  002_800x600.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  77.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Those water lines are flex for a reason. In seismic area they can be code. All plumbing sucks and it's just a bunch of $.50 Chinese parts preventing failure at anytime. If my HWH was located somewhere that a leak would cause significant damage, I'd have a licensed and insured plumber replace it every 15 years. If is was in the garage or an unfinished mechanical area with a drain, I'd roll the dice.
    Given that the HWH is 15 years old (albeit very well maintained) and an unknown amount of water had leaked onto the outside of the tank causing an unknown amount of corrosion to the unprotected outside of the tank and the connections, I decided I needed to replace the whole unit. While sizing up the install the plumber (whom I trust is not scamming me) determined that my pressure-reducing valve has gone bad and also needs to be replaced. $4k all in, and to access the PRV he needs to rip out some drywall in a room I just completely refinished. FML.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Given that the HWH is 15 years old (albeit very well maintained) and an unknown amount of water had leaked onto the outside of the tank causing an unknown amount of corrosion to the unprotected outside of the tank and the connections, I decided I needed to replace the whole unit. While sizing up the install the plumber (whom I trust is not scamming me) determined that my pressure-reducing valve has gone bad and also needs to be replaced. $4k all in, and to access the PRV he needs to rip out some drywall in a room I just completely refinished. FML.
    Jeeeeeeeesus. I did ours a couple of years ago and it was $1K with a pretty decent heater, new expansion tank, shutoff, and hoses.

Even assuming $1k in parts
    And $140 an hour.

That’s 21 hours labor. Wtf. I wouldn’t call that plumber honest and trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    And $140 an hour.

That’s 21 hours labor. Wtf. I wouldn’t call that plumber honest and trustworthy.
    Water heater costs have jumped from three years ago. I replaced a 50 gallon power vent natural gas power vent, at that time it was $750, same Rheem unit is on sale at HD for $1,219.00

And $140 an hour.

Same guy installed my old HWH 15 years ago and it cost under $800 IIRC. Seems unlikely he's turned into a crook since then. Parts are way more than $1k these days. Also, remember, the $4k included the new PRV ($700) and I had him run a snake down my main sewer line. I have a big tree in my front yard and the cleanout is behind the HWH so it made sense to do it while access was easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Water heater costs have jumped from three years ago. I replaced a 50 gallon power vent natural gas power vent, at that time it was $750, same Rheem unit is on sale at HD for $1,219.00
    Yeah, low-NOx heaters and other shit is mandated now so they cost way more than just a few years ago.

I just priced out a 60 gallon indirect water heater and the equivalent unit alone is over 2 grand before install.

Pricing has changed dramatically.
    Live Free or Die

OG non tankless are still reasonable. I think it's up $100 since I replaced mine a couple of years ago. I still think you're getting fucked.

Even the "Platinum" is under $1K.

$4K is a nice bike.
    Last edited by Touring_Sedan; 06-10-2022 at 10:11 AM.

And $140 an hour.

He won't answer anyway cause he's out on his $200K boat.

Recently, I also received a $4k quote for an exterior gas tankless install at the house. I just took it as a sign of the times, trade workers are busy, supply chain fucked equipment availability and therefore prices, etc…

It was a want and not a need (removing a large tank in the laundry room to free up space). So I did not pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

With the current market, my assumption:
    - No contractor is coming to your house to do a days work for less than $1k.
    - No contractor is coming to your house to do a small project for less than $5k.
    - No contractor is doing a remodel for less than $200k.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    OG tankless are still reasonable. I think it's up $100 since I replaced mine a couple of years ago. I still think you're getting fucked.
    $4K is a nice bike.
    Those aren't tankless...

$4k sounds a little high, but DtM had much more work done than just replacing the WH (no redundant H needed).

Plumbers are expensive--far and away the nicest house on my street is owned by one. He also has every cliche NV motorized toy you can imagine. But, plumbers have to do plumbing for a living. I'll take GC-ing anytime.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Recently, I also received a $4k quote for an exterior gas tankless install at the house. I just took it as a sign of the times, trade workers are busy, supply chain fucked equipment availability and therefore prices, etc…

It was a want and not a need (removing a large tank in the laundry room to free up space). So I did not pull the trigger.
    For what it's worth, I paid something near this - replacement with a tankless install (relocation to a different area of the house) but a complete rework of my existing system (water circuit & gas lines) and a bunch of plumbing improvements while we did it. It was literally 5 days of work.

Maybe wouldn't be so for everyone, but to me, it was worth every penny. Great result and improvement to my house.

plumbers have to do plumbing for a living.
    When I was a kid, our house had two giant Elm trees in a huge front yard, and of course the terra cotta main line ran under them and would get clogged with roots on a yearly basis and the line would then have to get rooted. One time the plumber wasn't able to get to the roots from the cleanout in the house and it was determined that a cleanout would have to be installed out in the yard to reach the offending blockage. The plumber digs a big hole about 5 feet deep and hops down there and starts beating a hole in the terra cotta pipe with a hammer and is instantly douched with shit smelling backed up sewer water, toilet paper included. I'm watching the whole time and think to myself "man, I am never going to be a plumber".

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    With the current market, my assumption:
    - No contractor is coming to your house to do a days work for less than $1k.
    - No contractor is coming to your house to do a small project for less than $5k.
    - No contractor is doing a remodel for less than $200k
    Agree. I am just hoping shit doesn’t go south, (or I get a tiny, can’t find it leak), in the next year or 2 at my house.
    Also, that Caillebotte floor scrapers painting is a favorite of mine, as I grew up near Chicago, and it’s at the Art Institute there.
    Yes those dudes would be sore, but plenty of folks do indoor rowing, (isn’t there a thread here about it?), and their floors prolly could be refinished every couple years instead. #pelotonisstupid
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This was only $6K, (but they openly admitted they underestimated.) Also worth every penny.